Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
General Discussion>Project Of The Day : Lingerie Dresser
Boz 11:37 PM 12-13-2012
Badass Scott. Well done, that looks fantastic :-)
[Reply]
Brlesq 05:56 AM 12-14-2012
That is really beautiful craftsmanship there. Nicely done!
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 10:02 AM 12-14-2012
Turned out great Scott!!
[Reply]
hscmit 10:37 AM 12-14-2012
turned out great
[Reply]
shilala 11:54 AM 12-19-2012
I got an email this morning from Stuart at Vectric. They're the outfit that make the software I use to create stuff, it's called Aspire.
The program is kinda like Photoshop or something on that order, but geared to what a cnc machine can do, then you create "toolpaths" for each bit used in the CNC machine. It takes lots of toolpaths to make something and there's no software that can figure that stuff out.
You have to take tooling into consideration when you create something, and know how you're going to get the machine to make it while you create it.

Anyways, they picked up the pics of Weeze's dresser and asked if they could feature them at their website where they sell the software.
These guys, along with Shopbot, are the absolute best customer service people I have ever run into in my life, bar none. They'll call you from home at 9:00 at night if need be, and they're literally happy to do it. They're involved 100% in the industry, as evidenced by them finding the pics of the dresser.
I told them "absolutely". The dresser will be on their site after the first of the year.
I thought that was cool. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:00 PM 12-19-2012
Wow, that is too cool Scott. Definitely a lost service with most companies today.
[Reply]
sofaman 01:43 PM 12-19-2012
Dam brother that came out good I cant wait to see it in person:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:02 PM 12-19-2012
Damn brother...you got skills!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
Dave128 02:07 PM 12-19-2012
Nice job, Scott!
[Reply]
shilala 05:58 PM 12-19-2012
As it turns out, my plans to make a bed got pushed back. Weeze wants the whole office done.
We'd talked about base cabinets all around, storage cabinets up top, kinda like the kitchen but for the office. Now I'm leaning towards custom furniture.
A couple desks (I hate to get rid of mine, I love it), corner cabinetry, a custom print center for all the scanners and printers and paper and stereo.

I'm just gonna have to sit down and start brainstorming.
[Reply]
363 06:03 PM 12-19-2012
That is awesome Scott!
[Reply]
Cenookie 09:37 PM 12-19-2012
Great work Scott, that guy on New Yankee Workshop better look out.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 10:51 PM 12-19-2012
Wow! That's all I got. WOW!!!

I put on a new toilet seat from Fleet Farm for $14.95 and my wife was thrilled. I cannot even imagine doing something like that.
[Reply]
shilala 10:01 AM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Wow! That's all I got. WOW!!!

I put on a new toilet seat from Fleet Farm for $14.95 and my wife was thrilled. I cannot even imagine doing something like that.
:-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
LamarDaniels 11:30 AM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by shilala:
While I'm taking a break I thought I'd share this project with you guys. I have a few going, but this one is front and center because it's a Christmas present for my beautiful wife, Lisa. She already has a lingerie dresser but it's old and cheap and nasty and the drawers fit poorly. It looks nice, but it's a little small for all her stuff.

This one is going to be bigger, I'm thinking around 21" X 11" X 48" high. It's 3/4" rough cut kiln dried cherry that I planed and finished for this project and I'll stain it to match the bedroom furniture. It'll be easy to match it to the bed because I was told it's time for me to make that when I'm done with this.

Since I've started this project I've read, crammed, practiced, and learned a metric ton of new stuff. I bought a number of specialty furniture tools that I've been putting off, but I needed them to get this done the way I wanted it done. I've made it super heavy in Old English tradition, all wooden hardware, it'll last forever. It'll certainly be an heirloom piece that'll stay in the family for as long as I can imagine.

I can't think of much more to say, so I'll get to the pics and if you guys have any questions on the how's and what's, I'd be happy to answer. The obvious is for new guys is "Do you build humidors?" The answer is yes, I've built lots and lots. The reason I've pushed my workshop ahead to where it'd at is so that I can make some very exceptional humidors unlike anything that anyone has seen out there. As my skills progress I pick projects that take advantage of those skills so I can employ them in my goal at a later date.

So anyways, off to the pics...

Here's the drawings/schematics of the dresser. I designed it from scratch. With the software I use I can pull up the dimensions I need whenever I need them. The left center pic is with the drawers in, the right center is with drawers out so I can see the face frame parts...

This is the 3D model of the drawer fronts. It was more or less to get a look at what they'd look like and to make sure Weeze liked the design and look. The design is inpired by the dresser she had, sort of. I started with mimicry and then went off on a complete tangent, but in the same vein.

The top is a drawer front I ran in poplar to see how it turned out. From there I made adjustments to the model height and placement, among other things. It was a good move. Had I not done it I'd have made a bunch of drawer fronts that were no good. The bottom front is the real deal. There are five more just like it.

A couple pics of the drawer fronts being made...

More coming...
Awesome project. You did very nice job I would love to have one for my wife
[Reply]
ucla695 11:34 AM 04-16-2013
Great craftsmanship! Truly incredible!
[Reply]
Blueface 12:17 PM 04-16-2013
That is some really nice work Scott.
Some day, after my not to distant retirement, plan on setting up shop in the garage and having some similar fun.
[Reply]
LamarDaniels 03:28 AM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by LamarDaniels:
Awesome cheap lingerie project. You did very nice job I would love to have one for my wife
Can you make one such lingerie dresser for me?
[Reply]
Bondo 287 07:09 AM 04-17-2013
Awesome build, Scott. Thanks for the tour. That's a serious shop. Impressive work !
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Up