Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 6
« First < 234 56 >
All Cigar Discussion>Your opinion - Most overhyped cigar line?
Dunkel 10:04 AM 10-15-2012
Well that was addressed. Tom turned a blind eye to your comment. LOL Just making it fun.
[Reply]
Remo 10:06 AM 10-15-2012
If we are going strictly by "Most Hyped" it is Tatuaje, I enjoy Tats, some more than others....but they are the "Most Hyped" IMO

Oops...Overly-Hyped
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 10:09 AM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by Dunkel:
Well that was addressed. Tom turned a blind eye to your comment. LOL Just making it fun.
Yeah that's what my comment was for:-) The first posts were directed at all "cubans", so I played along.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:12 AM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0:
If we are going strictly by "Most Hyped" it is Tatuaje, I enjoy Tats, some more than others....but they are the "Most Hyped" IMO
This is most "over-hyped" not most "hyped".

With Gurkha's signs, banners, boxes, advertising, and MSRPs followed by severe dissapointment in the flavor department, I don't think anybody can hold a candle in the over hype department. :-)

Many regular non-forum cigar smokers have never heard of Tatuaje, Viaje or other smaller boutigue makers.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:12 AM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Behikes are interesting cigars for sure. Overpriced for what they are now? Yeah I think so. They are still young cigars so that's another thing to think about. They have potential to be worth the investment though. I'd still smoke a BHK over any NC. So does that still make all NCs overhyped and overrated?:-):-) Why yes it does:-)
Spend it all on the Gran Reservas if ya got deep pockets is my advice!
[Reply]
jjirons69 11:09 AM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
With Gurkha's signs, banners, boxes, advertising, and MSRPs followed by severe dissapointment in the flavor department, I don't think anybody can hold a candle in the over hype department. :-)
:-) Well said.
[Reply]
shilala 11:26 AM 10-15-2012
I consider Tats to be overhyped because I flat out don't care for the cigars. It's my own particular bias, and I can certainly understand others enjoying them.
Because of my feelings about how they taste, it makes me roll my eyes at all the gimmicks, but on the other hand I think Pete's marketing adds interest and creates buzz, giving us something to talk about. His marketing makes guys excited that enjoy them, and makes them enjoy the hobby. That's great.
Regardless, I have yet to smoke one of his cigars that didn't suck out loud, or was very mediocre and largely overpriced.

So far as cc's go, I'd have to parrot "Cohiba". I've had some stellar Cohibas, but I've had a lot more less-than-stellar Cohibas. I've had Cohiba maduros that stand as the best cigars I ever smoked. The price is crazy, but I've never really felt I was robbed because I've gotten a good return on what I paid, plus cc's can be hit and miss across the board.

If I compare the hype doled out by Tats to the hype surrounding Cohibas, Tats win the overhype award by a HUGE margin, and deservedly so.

All that stuff aside, smoke what you like. I do. That's what makes me happy, and if Tats make you guys happy, there sure can't be anything wrong with that. :-)
[Reply]
Stephen 11:28 AM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
This is most "over-hyped" not most "hyped".
Could've fooled me. I thought it was a, "name a cigar brand/line you don't like" thread...:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 11:34 AM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by Dunkel:
No blind eye, just saw it now. And Nate is right. I hate Cubans, they're all overhyped. :-) :-)
[Reply]
omowasu 06:34 PM 10-15-2012
A couple more came to mind -
Camacho Pre Embargo - an average cigar that is marketed strictly based on having some (unknown, very small quantity if any) pre-embargo Havana tobacco contained therein. I don't get it - its not like there are bales of old tobacco just laying around for the taking, and if there were, how could they still be usable or not infested with beetles? And the marketing hype has followed despite the source of the "pre-embargo Cuban tobacco" and/or quantity remaining undisclosed.

Lars Tetens - this one is self explanatory. My understanding is that he is now an HVAC system "genius" in addition to his cigar and sausage pursuits. What gets my goat is that Lars Tetens had a few good cigars (the Grass line) back in the late 90s but the entire line went South soon after. I don't know anyone that carries them anymore, but they are still out there.

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Yeah that's what my comment was for:-) The first posts were directed at all "cubans", so I played along.
I cant say Ive ever seen an over-hyped Cuban save the Behike. That one is expensive, all bling, and while very good it didn't cut it for me at that price point (Ive only had one). The whole cigar world was abuzz for a year over the BHK line. I think the product was somewhat of a letdown given the amount of hype generated.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 08:41 PM 10-15-2012
Davidoff and FFOX

Just because they have ad campaigns designed to get people to buy their product, and we can't all like everything out there, so I'll knock on them!!
[Reply]
44stampede 10:11 PM 10-15-2012
I see overhyped as something that doesn't deliver on what the brand is directly or indirectly trying to advertise (through price or the marketing campaign). In this case I can't agree with the Cohiba CC beef here (the NC one for sure). I have had one badly constructed one in all I have tried and that may have been storage issues. Some are not AS good as others but they are a quality cigar.

I came into this forum almost a complete noobie. I had some cubans through the years (being Canadian) but no NC so I was really open to them and set on a mission to try a wide variety. Man, I spent a ton on some over-priced cigars. I threw away half or more of these cigars many more times than I finished one. Hindsight shows me that I should have spent that on CC but at least I have the direct experience of a lot of NC.

Of course this is only an opinion and I am not saying anyone would be wrong by having the complete opposite experience of mine.

Which ones are the most IMO?
Most LP. I've enjoyed the one FFP and a few of the many Undercrowns I've had. Not had a T52 or 9 that I like. A rat is in the humi that I have not tried.
Fuente Anejos
My Fathers
Gurkhas
[Reply]
SvilleKid 10:38 PM 10-15-2012
Hey guys..... I have a great idea here!!!!

Everyone that has any of their indicated over-hyped cigars in their humidors.....

Package them bad boys up, send them to one of the troop coordinators!!! That gets the temptation of trying them again away from you, and puts some cigars in the hands of needful servicemen!!!

Just a thought!
[Reply]
icehog3 12:10 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by omowasu:
Lars Tetens - this one is self explanatory. My understanding is that he is now an HVAC system "genius" in addition to his cigar and sausage pursuits. What gets my goat is that Lars Tetens had a few good cigars (the Grass line) back in the late 90s but the entire line went South soon after. I don't know anyone that carries them anymore, but they are still out there.
Cigar King in Skokie is the last place I remember seeing them around here, Scott.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:08 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by omowasu:
I cant say Ive ever seen an over-hyped Cuban save the Behike. That one is expensive, all bling, and while very good it didn't cut it for me at that price point (Ive only had one). The whole cigar world was abuzz for a year over the BHK line. I think the product was somewhat of a letdown given the amount of hype generated.
I wonder how many of the cigar world (ie: cigar magazine journalists) actually had to pay out of their own hard earned money for them? Sure, someone gives me a handful of BHK's and I'll say they were tasty, which they are.

Price does matter when it comes to a final verdict.
[Reply]
jimdandy 09:53 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by JohnRogers:
Agreed they seem to be all hype. I probably had ten in the last three years and not got one yet. I'm not saying a good Cuban doesn't exist but I'm having doubts.
I don't think you guys are smoking the right ones :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 10:08 AM 10-16-2012
NC Cohibas, Tat Boris/Frank/Drac/etc., and Gurkhas. The American hype over Cuban cigars overall.

Not that any of these are bad lines/countries (well maybe Gurkha and NC Cohibas).
[Reply]
pektel 10:24 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by Starscream:
Tat Boris/Frank/Drac/etc.,
I was JUST coming back into this thread to post this. Tat Monster series (though I believe the Boris was the Actor series or something like that). I was just on another forum where someone paid a premium for a dress box of Mummy's, and the seller had only received shipping info so far. Didn't even have the box in hand yet and someone was shelling out almost $300 to reserve the box once it arrived.
[Reply]
jluck 11:00 AM 10-16-2012
http://eugene.craigslist.org/for/3338535005.html
:-):-)
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 11:37 AM 10-16-2012
I think word of mouth & then you throw in supply & demand those three things have everything to do with it. Now, lets throw in the the word "LIMITED" the manufacturer & their marketing team HYPING it up. Now here they come with all their marketing ploys to make the consumer think "IT's NOW or NEVER" because they are going FAST. So everyone runs out gets what they can get their hands on. The come the shops/B&M's that bump up the price on these & tell us "WHAT YOU SEE IS ALL THAT LEFT"...
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
« First < 234 56 >
Up