Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
All Cigar Discussion>Recon Cigars Anyone know about these?
Ranger_B 10:56 AM 10-30-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Based on what, Frank? I see nothing in that letter that indicates any donation, let alone a specific percentage. All I see is a bunch of standard marketing BS about the cigar.

PS: I have heard the Puentes family name before, I just can't remember where.
Sorry the donation information came from a discussion with a representative at a WWP event. They are partnered with hope for warriors and if you want to go to recons website there is a button on the bottom of the page that brings up the info on their partnership. Or you can look here http://www.hopeforthewarriors.org/ca...41227/partners and see they are a corporate partner. I have no dog in this fight and I have not and will likely not purchase one of these smokes but I am curious to see if any consistent cigar smoker has tried one and what their honest opinion was.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:29 AM 10-30-2012
Originally Posted by Ranger_B:
Sorry the donation information came from a discussion with a representative at a WWP event. They are partnered with hope for warriors and if you want to go to recons website there is a button on the bottom of the page that brings up the info on their partnership. Or you can look here http://www.hopeforthewarriors.org/ca...41227/partners and see they are a corporate partner. I have no dog in this fight and I have not and will likely not purchase one of these smokes but I am curious to see if any consistent cigar smoker has tried one and what their honest opinion was.
I have not gone beyond the main page of their website. I find it hard to take them seriously. I like pretty/sexy women as much as the next guy but that site is absurd.

When any retailer/vendor of any product mentions "a portion of the proceeds" that could mean 50%. Or it could mean 0.00001% and still be accurate.
[Reply]
T.G 12:16 PM 10-30-2012
Originally Posted by Ranger_B:

Save the three shills (and counting) whom have graced us with their presence, I don't believe that any of us have a dog in this fight.

While their status as a contributor to the charity was established some time ago, I couldn't see where you got their contribution status based on that particular letter, thanks for clearing that up. What I question, and have been questioning in these regards since the beginning of this thread, is what that amount or percentage is, as any amount, no matter how trivial, grants one the right to make the claim of contribution. Furthermore, from a personal standpoint, I find the waving around of this claim of contribution to be reprehensible as donating to charity shouldn't be about giving yourself bragging rights.

As for the selling of a gimmick, that doesn't bother me, but don't act like it's not a gimmick. Such behavior makes me seriously question the product.

I do wish them success with their business, but it won't be my wallet that contributes to it.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:34 PM 10-30-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
...I find the waving around of this claim of contribution to be reprehensible as donating to charity shouldn't be about giving yourself bragging rights...
Well said Adam! I could not agree more.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 07:52 AM 10-31-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Well said Adam! I could not agree more.
This is where I fall on the issue as well. Dont get me wrong when I hear a company is helping Vets I will be more likely to spend my money there; they have to have a product I want in the first place.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:44 AM 11-01-2012
Originally Posted by MadMac:
Okay, I the nub. My name is Jon, I have some experience with Punch, Acid, Thomas, and some others I can not currently recall. I found your site when I was searching for information about these Recon cigars. I am former Navy, my friend was in the Marines and he will be visiting us for T-day weekend next month.
I realize this is a gimmick, but the question is - did these guys make a quality product with a gimmick, or is their gimmick the only thing they have going for them?
I found this review which, at least states that someone has tried them. http://www.thecigarstore.com/blog/ci...mo-del-diablo/

I joined to find out more about cigars. I am in a point in my life where I would like to sit back and actually enjoy a nice scotch and cigar. So, I may have some questions from time to time, I will do my best to put them in the appropriate thread when they do arise.

Thank you,
-Jon
Originally Posted by innovator:
Neither. I'm just as qualified as you are. Just scouring for info I came across this forum and the few comments made. Just giving props where they are due. I dislike reading negativity especially when these folks are trying to do something positive. It's easy to hide behind the vail of the web and sling dirt. Even when unprovoked. Let see you try to come up with a cool, creative idea that appeals to people and puts a smile on their faces. Its easy to go in the other direction isn't it?
Originally Posted by pnoon:
We have no idea of your qualifications. And you certainly have no idea of Adam's (T.G).

This is not about Recon cigars. This is about the PERCEPTION of someone joining the forum heaping glowing praise on a line of cigars in a thread that was over two months old. Your posts here are consistent with the many shills that have come before you. You may or may not be a shill but your posting behavior sure indicates you are.

Consider the suggestion to join the community and participate. Lots of friendly and knowledgable people here.
<crickets> :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:06 AM 11-01-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
<crickets> :-)
Shhhh.... Let's not disturb them :-)
[Reply]
MadMac 11:49 PM 02-02-2013
Okay, I'm not going to make any excuses about why I didn't get back until now, but I will let you know that I have given up on these things without even trying them.
I am still interested in learning more about different cigars, but I'll probably just do it the old fashioned way - trial & error, while smoking with a good friend. Thank you anyhow.
[Reply]
dwoodward 12:17 AM 02-03-2013
Originally Posted by MadMac:
Okay, I'm not going to make any excuses about why I didn't get back until now, but I will let you know that I have given up on these things without even trying them.
I am still interested in learning more about different cigars, but I'll probably just do it the old fashioned way - trial & error, while smoking with a good friend. Thank you anyhow.
You could always make a post in our introductory forum and then check out the NST (Newbie Sampler Trade)... It should help you on your way to finding what you like. :-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Up