Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 8
« First < 234 56 > Last »
General Discussion>Blak Smyth's art thread
Blak Smyth 06:58 AM 12-23-2011
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 07:22 AM 12-23-2011
All that stuff looks pretty awesome shane! I love looking at it! Keep up the great work!
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:46 PM 01-04-2012
This weeks meeting minutes:
[Reply]
Taki 04:06 PM 01-04-2012
Nice little drawing Shane...Love the chick Zombie!! :-) Great Job Brother...keep 'em coming!
[Reply]
Taki 06:51 PM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Todays meeting minutes:
Still one of my favorites for now...:-)
[Reply]
DPD6030 03:08 PM 01-05-2012
Could you nix the girls in my avatar and the Corona and add a mojito and keep the rest? I'm not sure if you save your work and if not no need to bother with changing it.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:21 PM 01-11-2012
[Reply]
the nub 02:30 PM 01-11-2012
Originally Posted by wayner123:
I mean no disrespect personally, but I don't see this as art. It's a simple drawing or sketch. It doesn't convey anything to me other than it's a cigar.
IMHO I would go even further and say this is a line drawing with some tonal value added. I think this drawing is the starting stage of something that could be interesting but it is really lacking and unfinished right now.

It's a bit timid in that there is an attempt to add shading but stops with just the shadow. For example, why is the cigar the same value as the background? The actual band is white but we know the cigar is many, many shades darker, so why isn't the cigar represented that way? Think of how you perceive a cigar- what are your first impressions? Color? Then represent these as dark or light. Go back and be bold with your shading.

Wrapper lines are much too prominent also. Do they usually jump out at you when you look at a cigar or do they disappear into the overall color? Detail is important but recognize when they should be present and when they are superfluous.

Straight lines vs. 'jittery'. The outline of the cigar has been carefully drawn to show smooth curves and straight lines whereas the band is the opposite. Do one or the other not both, otherwise the drawing looks disjointed.

If you are going to incorporate shading into your drawings, a valuable lesson for you might be photograph an object, convert it to grey scale on your computer and draw and sketch from that. It will help you to identify value/tone.

Try some drawing exercises such as drawing an object without lifting your pencil or looking at the page. It will help you to see and give confidence to your drawing.

Hope this helps. All IMHO.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:32 PM 01-11-2012
Originally Posted by the nub:
IMHO I would go even further and say this is a line drawing with some tonal value added. I think this drawing is the starting stage of something that could be interesting but it is really lacking and unfinished right now.

It's a bit timid in that there is an attempt to add shading but stops with just the shadow. For example, why is the cigar the same value as the background? The actual band is white but we know the cigar is many, many shades darker, so why isn't the cigar represented that way? Think of how you perceive a cigar- what are your first impressions? Color? Then represent these as dark or light. Go back and be bold with your shading.

Wrapper lines are much too prominent also. Do they usually jump out at you when you look at a cigar or do they disappear into the overall color? Detail is important but recognize when they should be present and when they are superfluous.

Straight lines vs. 'jittery'. The outline of the cigar has been carefully drawn to show smooth curves and straight lines whereas the band is the opposite. Do one or the other not both, otherwise the drawing looks disjointed.

If you are going to incorporate shading into your drawings, a valuable lesson for you might be photograph an object, convert it to grey scale on your computer and draw and sketch from that. It will help you to identify value/tone.

Try some drawing exercises such as drawing an object without lifting your pencil or looking at the page. It will help you to see and give confidence to your drawing.

Hope this helps. All IMHO.
Very good info:-)
I see all of your points. I may have to mess around a bit more with this to see if I can improve upon it.
[Reply]
Taki 02:47 PM 01-11-2012
Wow...such criticism, good Lord its just a simple drawing/sketch, last I checked he still has both his ears! Good work Shane, keep 'em coming brother :-)
[Reply]
Montano 04:42 PM 01-11-2012
I think you should work on some 49ers art :-)

Good stuff Bro, you have mad skillz !!
[Reply]
irratebass 06:31 PM 01-11-2012
I can finally see these Shane and wow o' wow do you have talent sir! I loved the artwork on your wife....would make an awesome tattoo.....I may hit you up later this year for a custom piece of work for my next tattoo.:-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:04 PM 01-18-2012
Todays meeting minutes:
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:10 PM 01-18-2012
Didn't realize how blurry that last one was
[Reply]
sevans105 02:33 PM 01-18-2012
Great shading on this one. Almost a gothic lovecraft-ian feel to it. The shading and cross-hatching give it some depth and round-ness. Something like this would look great in silver or black paint.....floating bat like over a flat plain that receded off in to the distance. Maybe a dusty dark brown with this image floating in the center.

Just a thought. Definite promise there though.
[Reply]
Taki 05:26 PM 01-18-2012
Very nice brother....:-)
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 06:33 PM 01-18-2012
Looking good Shane! Can't believe you come up with most of this stuff at work while in meetings! :-)
[Reply]
NeuRon 07:39 PM 01-18-2012
artists come in different forms and have different styles.. talented sir!
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:07 AM 01-23-2012
Today's safety conference minutes:
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:36 AM 01-23-2012
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Up