Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
General Discussion>The Official Asylum Metal Detecting & Finds Thread
Tikihut27 07:38 PM 12-30-2011
Cutlery. It's odd how the waves can bend the spoons like that... :-)

Matchbox cars. Notice how popular police cars are for leaving buried in the sand...

Other stuff. People practice drive golf balls into the lake. I call it littering.

[Reply]
Tikihut27 07:43 PM 12-30-2011
Sunglasses are popular for losing in the water.

So are cell phones. I was able to find the owners of two of these by pulling miniSD cards. I called the owners and they didn't want them back. The Samsung still works fine, too.

And of course, keys are popular to lose as well. I had two people stop and ask if I'd found keys they'd lost. I hadn't.

[Reply]
Tikihut27 07:49 PM 12-30-2011
If I keep up this hobby, I will never need to buy another pocket knife. I carry the CRKT regularly.

For a bathing beach, I find a lot of munitions. Mostly shotgun shells, but the thing that looks like a tip to an artillery shell is, well, the tip to an artillery shell (or a rocket). The round ring is a piece of another one. The tail fin is from a parachute flare. And yes, that is a link from a machine gun.

I won't need to buy lures anymore, either. There are several areas of the lake guys go to just to search for lures...

[Reply]
Tikihut27 07:51 PM 12-30-2011
This is a remains tag from a crematorium. I blurred the number for privacy.

Hope someone finds mine there a long long time from now.

[Reply]
Tikihut27 07:55 PM 12-30-2011
Obviously, these are not metal detecting finds.

Apparently, beach-goers are pro-boobies. Who knew?

Here is a big old pile of junk earrings and bracelets. You'd think I'd be able to make a matching pair of earrings from all this, but you'd be wrong.

Other "junk" jewelry finds. I got a rush seeing some of these in the scoop.

[Reply]
Zeuceone 07:59 PM 12-30-2011
Does that mean someones ashes ended up at that location?
[Reply]
Tikihut27 08:00 PM 12-30-2011
297 pennies
48 nickels
96 dimes
148 quarters
1 $1 bill
2 $5 bill

1 euro cent

$63.02

[Reply]
Tikihut27 08:00 PM 12-30-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
Does that mean someones ashes ended up at that location?
Yes.
[Reply]
Tikihut27 08:06 PM 12-30-2011
And the best for last.

27.36 grams of Gold

1.13 ounces of Silver

and a honking big stainless wedding band

Thanks for looking. I had fun finding all this stuff. It is true you can find the good stuff, but you have to do an awful lot of digging! Not included here are hundreds of pieces of metal scrap/nails/screws/etc. that go directly in the trash.

I hope to do better in 2012, now that I am learning the ins-and-outs of the hobby. It's not as easy as just swinging the detector around, although you can get lucky that way, too!
[Reply]
Zeuceone 08:08 PM 12-30-2011
Originally Posted by Tikihut27:
Yes.
Will you be keeping it or does it go back?

Great finds btw.
[Reply]
backwoods357 08:16 PM 12-30-2011
Thanks for keeping this thread alive! Some really interesting finds.
[Reply]
Tikihut27 08:18 PM 12-30-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
Will you be keeping it or does it go back?

Great finds btw.
I'll take it out deep when I put the boat in the water in the spring. If I just flip it back in the water someone (probably me) will just find it again.
[Reply]
357 06:45 AM 01-05-2012
Great pics. I love it. My dad's would love this thread too. I wish I could get him to check it out.

Thinking about getting one of the old White brand detectors out of his basement and taking my son out this comming summer.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:27 AM 01-05-2012
I love this thread, keep those find pics coming guys!!!
[Reply]
Mr B 09:39 AM 01-05-2012
Great finds Tiki. Thanks for sharing.
[Reply]
Tikihut27 09:03 PM 05-04-2012
Even though there hasn't been a post here in a while, I've been out fairly regularly. It's nice to be outside, even in the colder weather. It hasn't been a great spring, but I've found another pile of change and a few rings, a couple of silver ones and another stainless wedding band.

The hot season should start soon, which will both take me into deeper water where there are better goodies and bring fresh drops from summertime beach-goers.

Here's a teaser pic of a silver and topaz ring I found this week. Mrs. Tikihut27 has overcome her reluctance to wear beach finds and now actively snags stuff, after, she says, I am done "playing with them". She has her eye on this one. I like the silver stuff because they come out of the water nasty and tarnished, but a little work shines them right up...

[Reply]
TJarv 09:34 PM 05-04-2012
some good finds over the last year or so
[Reply]
Mr B 12:11 PM 05-07-2012
Another great find Tiki. Keep the pics coming.
[Reply]
Tikihut27 09:18 AM 06-02-2012
Here are some pics of a few more rings from the memorial day weekend:

The small gold celtic friendship ring is 14k.

[Reply]
sevans105 10:14 AM 06-02-2012
Dani and I were snorkeling a couple weeks ago and met a woman searching the beach in Hanauma Bay. She said she had just found a 3.5 carat diamond ring with another 2 carats of sapphires. Heck of a find. Made Dani regret leaving her detector at home. :-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Up