Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 7
« First < 234 56 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Ever Wondered Plume Or Mold
T.G 01:38 PM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
I have never seen green mold on a cigar. I have seen water spots, but not true mold that is green in color.
I have. Dark green anyway. Unfortunately the flash washed out the color a bit on the top cigar, the bottom cigar shows a bit more accurate representation of the color, especially around the cap area since that was furthest from the flash.

[Reply]
wayner123 02:24 PM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
I have. Dark green anyway. Unfortunately the flash washed out the color a bit on the top cigar, the bottom cigar shows a bit more accurate representation of the color, especially around the cap area since that was furthest from the flash.
Thank you for that picture. I still don't see that as green on my monitor, but I'll take your word. Maybe very moist mold looks green?
[Reply]
T.G 02:48 PM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
Maybe very moist mold looks green?
My experience with mold is that different types of molds are different colors, although some lightly pigmented molds will lose their coloration and appear mostly white after the colony dies.
[Reply]
Volusianator 11:47 AM 03-11-2011
OK, so how weird is this! I took the original picture on Monday the 7th, after taking the pic, I took the cigar out of the box and placed it on TOP of the box, just so I'd not forget to wipe it down or toss it. Today I go back to the humidor to wipe it down and this is what I found. Nearly all the mold has appeared to disappear?

[Reply]
Zeuceone 12:11 PM 03-11-2011
probably died due to not being in the perfection condition
[Reply]
OLS 12:28 PM 03-11-2011
couple more days like that and you could smoke it. :-)
Seriously though, it dries down to 10-20% of it's original size. Spores are more dangerous when dry
I would imagine. Wipey-wipey.
[Reply]
Volusianator 12:36 PM 03-11-2011
So, can I use Smirnoff or should I just go right to Grey Goose to wipe down?! :-)
[Reply]
Krish the Fish 12:47 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by Volusianator:
So, can I use Smirnoff or should I just go right to Grey Goose to wipe down?! :-)
:-)

70% ethanol is the most effective to kill bacteria/fungi. If you have anything that's around 140 proof (or higher), that's what you want to use.

(source: my microbiology class. also, we only use 70% EtOH in my research lab for this same reason)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 12:54 PM 03-11-2011
Or you can take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Originally Posted by OLS:
couple more days like that and you could smoke it. :-)
Seriously though, it dries down to 10-20% of it's original size. Spores are more dangerous when dry
I would imagine. Wipey-wipey.
So, Brad, in this case is the mold still there, just smaller? Or did it actually die off & go away?
[Reply]
BTcigars 09:30 PM 06-21-2011
One thing that you should consider is if the foot had mold on it. It is one thing to have mold develop on the wrapper but once its on the foot, time to just just your loses. Keep updating, very interesting post!
[Reply]
Tyler 10:22 PM 06-21-2011
This thread intrigues me. Keep it updated for sure.
[Reply]
macsauce13 10:49 PM 06-21-2011
This thread is months old. This Opus has probably met its fate, whatever it was. :-)
[Reply]
sikk50 10:49 PM 06-21-2011
Originally Posted by BTcigars:
One thing that you should consider is if the foot had mold on it. It is one thing to have mold develop on the wrapper but once its on the foot, time to just just your loses. Keep updating, very interesting post!
[Reply]
BTcigars 02:05 PM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by sikk50:
HAHAHA I know I failed big time on this but oh well :-)
[Reply]
Volusianator 02:07 PM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by macsauce13:
This thread is months old. This Opus has probably met its fate, whatever it was. :-)
I smoked the *****!
[Reply]
BTcigars 02:32 PM 06-22-2011
Youre still alive, thats a good thing!
[Reply]
LostAbbott 04:05 PM 06-22-2011
Like a Rattle snake in a black widows web: BURN IT WITH FIRE!
[Reply]
alfredo_buscatti 02:49 AM 08-15-2011
I got a box of Anejo, and all the cigars that I've smoked had plume, about a dozen small patches per cigar.

As plume tells you that the cigar is at its optimal readiness for smoking, is there, then, any rush to smoke the cigars?

I would imagine no, as the cigars will continue to plume, and following that logic, become more and more optimally aged to smoke.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:30 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by alfredo_buscatti:
I got a box of Anejo, and all the cigars that I've smoked had plume, about a dozen small patches per cigar.

As plume tells you that the cigar is at its optimal readiness for smoking, is there, then, any rush to smoke the cigars?

I would imagine no, as the cigars will continue to plume, and following that logic, become more and more optimally aged to smoke.
If what you see are in "patches", it is more likely mold. Plume, for the most part, will be evenly distributed.

Also, I have never heard that plume tells you that the cigar is at its optimal readiness for smoking. Where did you hear/read that? To the best of my knowledge, the appearance of plume means nothing as to when a cigar should be smoked.

:-)
[Reply]
s15driftking 06:37 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by sam a:
think of it as nature's cotton candy
hilarious
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Up