Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 12
« First < 234 56 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Rant: Cigar Bums
Kreth 03:32 PM 01-25-2011
I can honestly say that I've never had anyone try to mooch a cigar from me (except Ferdie). :-)
Having said that, cigar smoking is a social activity. Cigars are best appreciated with good company. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Zeuceone 03:54 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by Brian D.:
This a funny topic for me to stumble across today. This morning I was at the B&M in downtown Cincinnati. (As you may know, tobacconist shops in Ohio are about the only legal places to smoke indoors nowadays. Anyhow, this sometimes leads to..uh, an interesting mix of non-customers coming in merely to be out of the cold.)

A scruffy guy of the above type comes in and sits down for a few minutes. He was not in anybody's way but the employees were keeping an eye on him, so was I for that matter. He said nothing until he saw that my mostly-smoked cigar was perched in the ashtray. His question was "Are you gonna finish that?". I replied that I indeed would be finishing it. That's when the employees told him that it was time to go.

Several minutes later, after said stogie was done and at the bottom of the ashtray, covered with ashes and no longer lit, same gent popped in long enough to swipe it.

Thankfully this is not a frequent occurence there. This thread does make it seem like some of you might have been much more kindly than I was, maybe you could have given him one of your best ISOM sticks. :-)
At my local B&M lounge, we had a homeless man come by and sit outside to smoke a nub left in an ashtray. The owner didn't mind as long as he didn't bother anyone. Well a few minutes pass by and the cops show up to talk to him. We later find out that he was next door at the starbucks where one of the employees told him to leave, but he refused. He yelled at the employee and ended up leaving. The reason the wanted him out was due to him being butt naked in the bathroom showering.
[Reply]
macsauce13 04:21 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
You must have been at Straus :-)
Originally Posted by macsauce13:
Was this Strauss by chance?
:-)
[Reply]
smokinpeace 05:18 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
The reason the wanted him out was due to him being butt naked in the bathroom showering.
Is that wrong? Cause if I knew that kind of thing was frowned upon when I started here...
[Reply]
Zeuceone 05:30 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by smokinpeace:
Is that wrong? Cause if I knew that kind of thing was frowned upon when I started here...
Lol well try locking the door when you do it.
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:34 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
Like many others, I'll give away almost any cigar in my case. I frequently pass around my case (new bling: Hali zero!) and tell people to dive in, whether I know them or not.

Life it too short not to create smiles whenever possible. Repeat moochers, I discourage, but others, who knows, maybe I made their year.
As a repeat moocher wannabe I can attest to this :-)

Actually, Mark is quite generous and has developed a number of friendships by doing this.
[Reply]
thebayratt 07:40 PM 01-25-2011
There is a group of us guys that every Thursday we get together for cigars and spirits. There is one guy (who has a nice paying job) who comes 90% of the time empty handed.
He passes up 5 B&Ms on his way over and always "forgets to grab a cigar" on his way over. He has a humidor with some sticks in it but always relies on others to furnish him cigars...
I don't mind people making a drink with my bottle, its a community bottle; there for all to enjoy. But my smokes are my smokes!
His pallet is so out of whack, he couldn't tell the difference between a VSG and a Flor de Oliva. I've given him a few decent cigars, but when it became a habit, I cut him off. He asked to see what I brought last time and grabbed a 64 Pardon and sad "can I have this" I said "Sure, for $25!" he sat it back in the traveldor.

I got "gifted" a motherload of CI's $20 bundle cigars a while back. I'm talking 50+ of dogrockets!! I gave him most of them and he won't even bring them to the herf and he said he likes them.....

I don't mind helping a brother out who has been down on his luck anytime. I'll give them a cigar I would smoke. But a cigar-BUM who never brings anything and is up on his luck......... gets nothing!

I've pulled my .357 out on bums in town begging money from me..... hahaaa
[Reply]
jsnake 08:57 PM 01-25-2011
I always carry a few extra mild cigars I won't ever smoke just in case someone wants to join me. For a good friend I will offer something better. I enjoy sharing cigars with people.
[Reply]
Eli18 09:04 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
I love giving cigars away. Whenever I am at a party or one if the few bars in my area that still allow cigar smoking, I always bring plenty of extra. You meet some of the nicest people through the simple gift of a cigar. I don't care if they're mooching or genuinely curious, the world today can be so callous and cynical that a smile from a stranger and some casual conversation helps to remind me that what we need most is connection to our fellow human beings.

MCS
thats really cool cigar smokers are very generous people in deed i like to give them away when i got some extras
[Reply]
Cornrow_Wallis 09:54 PM 01-25-2011
If I'm smoking and someone wants a cigar, they can have whatever I've got. If we are at my place and they didn't know we were going to be smoking, that's fine, I'll point them at the cooler and let 'em have at it.

What pisses me off is when someone knows ahead of time that there is gonna be cigar smoking and still doesn't bring anything. At that point they can buy one or go without.
[Reply]
South Shield 09:56 PM 01-25-2011
My father once asked me for a cigar, hit him in the face with a cast iron skillet.
[Reply]
jsd 10:01 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by thebayratt:
There is a group of us guys that every Thursday we get together for cigars and spirits. There is one guy (who has a nice paying job) who comes 90% of the time empty handed.
He passes up 5 B&Ms on his way over and always "forgets to grab a cigar" on his way over. He has a humidor with some sticks in it but always relies on others to furnish him cigars...
I don't mind people making a drink with my bottle, its a community bottle; there for all to enjoy. But my smokes are my smokes!
His pallet is so out of whack, he couldn't tell the difference between a VSG and a Flor de Oliva. I've given him a few decent cigars, but when it became a habit, I cut him off. He asked to see what I brought last time and grabbed a 64 Pardon and sad "can I have this" I said "Sure, for $25!" he sat it back in the traveldor.
Wow, if you lived in CA I'd think we were talking about the same guy.

A little while back a group of us met at the local cigar shop before poker night. This particular guy bought a few cigars, had them in his car at the poker house, and still asked a few of us for cigars. Unbelievable.

I enjoy sharing good cigars with good friends. I enjoy giving cigars to friends so they can share in the enjoyment. I just don't like being asked for a cigar.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:05 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by South Shield:
My father once asked me for a cigar, hit him in the face with a cast iron skillet.
Now I dont feel bad about running over that guy in the Home Depot parking lot looking for work.
[Reply]
South Shield 10:08 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Now I dont feel bad about running over that guy in the Home Depot parking lot looking for work.
I'm sure that bastard wanted a cigar as well, I would of backed over him again just to make sure he got my point.
[Reply]
DocLogic77 10:08 PM 01-25-2011
Giving a cigar to someone is one of the great pleasures of this hobby...new to cigars or those with a trained palate. Cigar smoking is a social experience and should be shared. For those who are new to the hobby I am more selective with what I give but it's based on what I think a new smoker might like. If someone has never tried a cigar handing them a PL panatela might be a great first step. Terrific cigar, very reasonable and should give the guy a reasonable idea of what a good cigar tastes like. It's also smaller and if they put it out...no biggie. If they like it...then I am tempted to hand them a few to get em started. Giving them a few cigars, and some knowledge can be a great thing. You never know when you have found a like minded soul to enjoy a cigar with in the future.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:09 PM 01-25-2011
I'm sure that bastard wanted a cigar as well, I would of backed over him again just to make sure he got my point.
I did throw a rock at the Veteran in a wheelchair with a sign as I was leaving! :-)
[Reply]
South Shield 10:10 PM 01-25-2011
I did throw a rock at the Veteran in a wheelchair with a sign as I was leaving! :-)
GOOD! I bet his sign said "Homeless Vet! Need Cigar!"
[Reply]
bobarian 10:15 PM 01-25-2011
GOOD! I bet his sign said "Homeless Vet! Need Cigar!"
:-) I'm pretty sure it did! Tomorrow I think I'll go under the bridge by the river and smoke a cigar and sing, "Nah, na, na, na"
[Reply]
South Shield 10:19 PM 01-25-2011
:-) I'm pretty sure it did! Tomorrow I think I'll go under the bridge by the river and smoke a cigar and sing, "Nah, na, na, na"
Cool, I'll join you after I leave the VA where I will be throwing Opus X's in the wood chipper just to see "Johnny no arms" cry.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:32 PM 01-25-2011
Cool, I'll join you after I leave the VA where I will be throwing Opus X's in the wood chipper just to see "Johnny no arms" cry.
I'm pretty sure that old guy greeting people at WalMart was going to ask for a cigar too! We can stop on the way home and pull a knife on him and show him who's boss!
[Reply]
Page 4 of 12
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Up