Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
All Cigar Discussion>How much I've spent on cigars...
Bill86 08:43 PM 11-03-2010
I really don't see why those hunting rifles are anything special. I would rather have a barrett 50 cal. If only for the experience of owning one of the most destructive sniper rifles on the planet.
[Reply]
OHRD 08:46 PM 11-03-2010
I am w/o question a budget smoker - we have a 2 yr old and 3 month old, and just bought a house, and my wife is a stay at home mom. Most of my regular smokes are fairly inexpensive. I have a close friend in town, and we regularly split bundle and box purchases to lighten the load.

And I get great prices here - just got a box of favorite cigar yesterday on CA, and paid a great deal less than the cheapest place online.

I have no idea what I've spent over the last 4 years, since I've gotten very serious, but I'd guess around $500-700 a year, definitely less than $1000. But I'm not gonna do the math, a little scared to...
[Reply]
Sailchaser 08:50 PM 11-03-2010
More than I spent on cigars for Kat. but not enough to get in Trouble:-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 08:56 PM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
Seriously, I never buy unless I can afford to. :-)
I was just perusing some sites considering a purchase and thought, "I don't know if I can afford the room in my humidor." Made me chuckle as I thought of my post in this thread as it wasn't what I originally meant. :-)
[Reply]
OLS 07:56 AM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by Commander Quan:
At least you enjoyed that $15,000 if you had invested $15,000 in the stock market over the last 6 years you wouldn't have gotten to enjoy it, and all you'd have left is :-)
BAM!!!!
There you go. That's exactly why I have the cigars I do today. It all started with Enron's collapse.
Something smelled fishy in Denmark after that day, to me. Yanked every dollar I had invested.
Lost absolutely nothing. Well except time. But who am I kidding, I will be at work when I die. What
retirement?
[Reply]
Martel 08:20 AM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by Bill86:
I really don't see why those hunting rifles are anything special. I would rather have a barrett 50 cal. If only for the experience of owning one of the most destructive sniper rifles on the planet.
I've handled quite a few Holland & Holland rifles and shotguns through the years, and believe me, they are something special. The level of craftsmanship and finish that goes into them is unreal. These are heirloom items. Older ones, if bought wisely, can be terrific investments as well.

The Barrett is awesome, and quite an experience to shoot.:-)

Cheers,
G
[Reply]
sobranie10 08:21 AM 11-04-2010
I have an alibi I have two sons that smoke cigars otherwise My hobby would be called Insanity. :-):-)
[Reply]
Da Klugs 08:42 AM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by yachties23:
LOL.

I think all hobbies will end up costing us quite a bit, and if it something that makes us happy, I don't think we should worry about it.

So long as its a healthy spending, that doesn't cause you to miss mortgage payments, rent, car payments, or run yourself into serious debt.

My grandfather always said you never see an armored car following a hearse.
Spend your money and enjoy your life, but remember your responsibilities.
:-)

We are all different, and all subject to creating unintended interference in our lives with "excess spending".

One of us spending $ 1000 could create the same problems in their household that another spending $ 100,000 would for theirs. It's the "it's all relative" comment used off and on here.

It's a hobby that can provide great joy on a variety of fronts so long as we keep the financial aspect in proper perspective for each of us.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 12:43 PM 11-09-2010
I apparently completely fail at using a spreadsheet. I was adding in a couple of recent purchases and my "sum" total was only adding up about half of what I've actually spent.

I fixed it and...need to go sit down now :-)
[Reply]
BloodSpite 12:48 PM 11-09-2010
I might spend about $300 a year on this hobby.

Usually between November and January I'll buy a few boxes of some midrange smokes that I enjoy (Devils Weed, Iguana, Erin Go Bragh for instance) and I'll spend about $100 on just sticks that are higher dollar.

Gives me a chance to sample some really nice cigars.

I doubt I'll ever have the money to get a box of the Ashton Heritage (one of my favorites) for instance, But I readily acknowledge that I'd rather have 60 of my mid range smokes to enjoy all year than 20 smokes that I'll constantly be asking myself "If I smoke this when will I be able to afford to replace it?"

So I buy the expensive sticks when I can and hoard them like a miser :-)
[Reply]
ckay 02:09 PM 11-09-2010
You are better off not calculating...if you enjoy the hobby, don't bother with the numbers, unless it really hinders you from actively saving money for other objectives. Fiscal responsibility. Understand it.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 02:20 PM 11-09-2010
It started off as a boredom thing (adding the numbers up) but I honestly think keeping tabs on my cigar spending IS the fiscally responsible thing for me to do.

I know some of you can work it out without writing it down or keeping track, but it looks like this is what works for me :-)
[Reply]
BloodSpite 02:30 PM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
It started off as a boredom thing (adding the numbers up) but I honestly think keeping tabs on my cigar spending IS the fiscally responsible thing for me to do.

I know some of you can work it out without writing it down or keeping track, but it looks like this is what works for me :-)
Don't panic until you try to write 50k off on your taxes for smokes :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 03:03 PM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by BloodSpite:
Don't panic until you try to write 50k off on your taxes for smokes :-)
"Loss, due to fire damage."
[Reply]
ckay 04:27 PM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
"Loss, due to fire damage."
http://www.snopes.com/crime/clever/cigarson.asp
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 05:34 PM 11-12-2010
i don't want to be insensitive and say the OP's amount of 15K isn't that bad, but when i break it down this way, it makes sense and seems reasonable:

that amount is just about equal to what a pack and a half a day cigarette smoker would spend on their cancer sticks over the course of 6 years. and in some areas of the country, it could be a helluva lot more.

i say this, because that was me up until about 5 or 6 years ago. now i spend actually a bit less on something a helluva lot better!
[Reply]
nick2021 06:26 AM 11-14-2010
man, my spending is going to go through the roof when I return home in a couple of days from this deployment...scaring myself now lol
[Reply]
n3uka 07:52 AM 11-14-2010
Originally Posted by ckay:
http://www.snopes.com/crime/clever/cigarson.asp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoBmCl-q_54 :-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Up