Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 7
« First < 234 56 > Last »
General Discussion>Did anyone order an iPad yet?
shilala 07:19 PM 04-06-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
depends...

I'll leave it at that.
I'm not buying any more ipads for at least a couple months, if that helps. :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 07:24 PM 04-06-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
I'm not buying any more ipads for at least a couple months, if that helps. :-)
:-):-)

Do you have an iPhone too Scott?
[Reply]
Blueface 07:24 PM 04-06-2010
Got to see one last night in person.
Neat toy.
[Reply]
shilala 07:40 PM 04-06-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
:-):-)

Do you have an iPhone too Scott?
I've paid for four in the last six months. I'm thinking I should get a cut. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 07:42 PM 04-06-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Got to see one last night in person.
Neat toy.
My buddy was playing with this one today, and all he could really muster was a "wow." He's a hardcore tech fanboi, and I was pretty set back that he was so impressed. He thinks my iphone is the second coming, so I suppose I shouldn't have been too surprised. :-)
[Reply]
AD720 07:46 PM 04-06-2010
So this might sound weird, and no offense to you old guys :-) :-), but what do you all think my grandfather would think of one of these?

He has a WebTV and uses it a lot but I'm wondering how much he really gets out it. Every time I am visit and have my laptop he asks where he can get one. I think a full blown laptop could be too much for him to deal with...but for light web browsing and looking at pictures this might be perfect for him. Thoughts?
[Reply]
shilala 07:52 PM 04-06-2010
Originally Posted by AD720:
So this might sound weird, and no offense to you old guys :-) :-), but what do you all think my grandfather would think of one of these?

He has a WebTV and uses it a lot but I'm wondering how much he really gets out it. Every time I am visit and have my laptop he asks where he can get one. I think a full blown laptop could be too much for him to deal with...but for light web browsing and looking at pictures this might be perfect for him. Thoughts?
Gather one up and drop it in his lap, Andrew. If he likes it, let him keep it. If not, you'll find someone who can use it.
My dexterity is crap, but my eyesight is good. It's still easy for me to use.
He'd have to have internet access and a wireless router to serve the ipad. I didn't even know web tv still existed, but a dialup connection wont get it. It needs broadband. If web tv is broadband now, just ignore the last part. :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 07:56 PM 04-06-2010
We got two at work to test app development on.

Not impressed. Once they add USB, SDcard, and some flash capabilities it'll be mucho mejor.
[Reply]
AD720 07:56 PM 04-06-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
Gather one up and drop it in his lap, Andrew. If he likes it, let him keep it. If not, you'll find someone who can use it.
My dexterity is crap, but my eyesight is good. It's still easy for me to use.
He'd have to have internet access and a wireless router to serve the ipad. I didn't even know web tv still existed, but a dialup connection wont get it. It needs broadband. If web tv is broadband now, just ignore the last part. :-)
Yea that's what I should do. If he doesn't like it I will keep it. :-)

He would have no problem getting high speed hooked up and I'll grab a linksys off craigslist. They already have cable TV and pay something like $20 a month for the WebTv.
[Reply]
JE3146 08:43 PM 04-06-2010
Played with one at the college bookstore the other day while I was buying texts. Honestly, I couldn't get over the incredible amount of glare off of the screen. Absolutely useless without a matte screen. Gloss was a horrid choice for this device. Other than that it behaves like you would expect.
[Reply]
macpappy 05:30 AM 04-07-2010
I've been a Mac user since 1986. I have a 30GB Ipod Classic (the one with video). I generally love everything Apple sales but...

When I decided to get a smartphone I looked at the Iphones and decided to buy a Blackberry. For one thing I find most of the apps pretty much unnecessary in my daily life and I really don't want to be told "you have to use AT&T."

As for the Ipad, I really can't see spending the money for one in its currentl configuration. It's nothing more than a bigger version of the Ipod Touch. Now if it ran OSX, had a camera, built in microphone, etc., then I would consider it but until then I'll use my Macbook Pro or my G5 to do my computing.
[Reply]
Beagleone 08:59 AM 04-07-2010
I bought one on Monday. Like it and haven't had any issues with it. I might consider returning it for the 3G, but probably will keep it. I can use it for various work functions as well as for my personal entertainment, so it is worth the expense IMHO. Reading books and PDFs are what I would use it mostly, but the checking emails is nice too.

Funny thing yesterday: one of my brokers came to take me to lunch and was ready to give me an extra IPad he bought as a thanks for all of the business. I had to decline, more since I already bought my own, but allowed him to give it to my assistant. She was more than thrilled!!! Hopefully she won't ask for a raise this year.
[Reply]
King James 09:38 AM 04-07-2010
Originally Posted by Beagleone:
I bought one on Monday. Like it and haven't had any issues with it. I might consider returning it for the 3G, but probably will keep it. I can use it for various work functions as well as for my personal entertainment, so it is worth the expense IMHO. Reading books and PDFs are what I would use it mostly, but the checking emails is nice too.

Funny thing yesterday: one of my brokers came to take me to lunch and was ready to give me an extra IPad he bought as a thanks for all of the business. I had to decline, more since I already bought my own, but allowed him to give it to my assistant. She was more than thrilled!!! Hopefully she won't ask for a raise this year.
Nice, Tony! Not a bad gift at all
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 09:43 AM 04-07-2010
Yeah, but will it blend?

http://www.blendtec.com/willitblend/...afe&video=ipad
[Reply]
shilala 12:10 PM 04-07-2010
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:
Yeah, but will it blend?

http://www.blendtec.com/willitblend/...afe&video=ipad
I want that blender. That thing is exceptionally badass.
[Reply]
elderboy02 12:41 PM 04-07-2010
Wow, it doesn't have USB support :-)

I hate Apple.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 12:45 PM 04-07-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:

I hate Apple.

:-)
[Reply]
JE3146 02:21 PM 04-07-2010

I hate Apple.
Oh but there are adapters you can buy to get 1 USB port :-)

The most useful thing I found this device capable of, it can't do due to lack of an SD slot.

Photo preview for professional photographers AT events.
[Reply]
King James 03:01 PM 04-07-2010

I hate Apple.
sigh, yes it does.

Jordan, could show @ events with this
[Reply]
JE3146 03:07 PM 04-07-2010
Originally Posted by King James:
sigh, yes it does.

Jordan, could show @ events with this
RAW support?

I shoot compact flash anyway, but my next body will migrate me to SD.

Either way, it's a stupid solution. Glad it was at least an afterthought. Can always hope for the next revision.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Up