Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
General Discussion>Taking my first shot at growing tobacco.
rrplasencia 02:24 PM 04-28-2009
do you think i could grow some in a chia pet?
[Reply]
marge796 03:27 PM 04-28-2009
Good luck when you transplant them outside. They look great!

:-)
[Reply]
DPD6030 03:54 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
I'm going to retire and go to Florida and run a guide boat in a few years. I can't think of anything I'd rather do. :-)
Let me know and I'll come be a customer! :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 03:55 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
Let me know and I'll come be a customer! :-)
:-) You have 2 customers already!
[Reply]
shilala 03:35 PM 06-09-2009
I planted the old girls in the garden, and they're hanging in nicely.
They got too big indoors, took a long while to harden off, and now they'll take time to recover.
In a couple weeks I'll get new pics and show y'all how they're doing. :-)
[Reply]
HK3- 06:53 PM 06-09-2009
They got too big indoors, took a long while to harden off, and now they'll take time to recover.
Cant wait to see how the girls look in the garden Scott! When are you going to take some rolling classes? Maybe you still have that old magic touch from the 70's? :-):-)
[Reply]
shilala 07:00 PM 06-09-2009
Originally Posted by HK3-:
Cant wait to see how the girls look in the garden Scott! When are you going to take some rolling classes? Maybe you still have that old magic touch from the 70's? :-):-)
All i'm gonna need is some papers. :-)
[Reply]
HK3- 07:12 PM 06-09-2009
All i'm gonna need is some papers. :-)
:-)

Maybe next year I will attempt to grow some backy myself. They sure do look pretty.
[Reply]
shilala 09:41 PM 06-25-2009
I started a special post for the first flower, but I better update here.
My plants are real short cause I had to hold them back cause I planted the seed way too early.
As a result, they're maturing way too early. It's what plants do when they are stressed. They go to seed real quick.

[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 06:26 PM 11-18-2009
Ah no! So i take it this was a bust?
-Just caught the thread, Great work none the less!!!
[Reply]
Skywalker 11:29 AM 11-19-2009
Scott, Did you harvest any leaves???:-)
[Reply]
shilala 07:57 PM 11-19-2009
Originally Posted by Guitarman-S.T-:
Ah no! So i take it this was a bust?
-Just caught the thread, Great work none the less!!!
The whole deal went really well.
I gathered up some leaves, soaked them and experienced how to make them pliable. Some of my plants were huge.
I gathered a quart bag full of open pollinated seed so that I can select for my own varietal, and make my own strain that does well here and resists bugs.
I had an absolute blast with the whole affair, and plan to work with the tobacco even more next year when I have more time to devote to it.
I have seed left from last year's plants so that I can cross back in if necessary some years down the line.
The whole process is something I plan to spend years on, and I absolutely love the plants, so it's going to be a joy. :-)
Thanks for asking, guys!!! :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 08:03 PM 11-19-2009
Shilala Seegars!
[Reply]
El Fumador 08:10 PM 11-19-2009
could i grow tobacco in maui.
[Reply]
357 01:47 PM 11-20-2009
The whole deal went really well.
I gathered up some leaves, soaked them and experienced how to make them pliable. Some of my plants were huge.
I gathered a quart bag full of open pollinated seed so that I can select for my own varietal, and make my own strain that does well here and resists bugs.
I had an absolute blast with the whole affair, and plan to work with the tobacco even more next year when I have more time to devote to it.
I have seed left from last year's plants so that I can cross back in if necessary some years down the line.
The whole process is something I plan to spend years on, and I absolutely love the plants, so it's going to be a joy. :-)
Thanks for asking, guys!!! :-)
Are you hanging your crop? If so what's next and can we get pics? I think we're all intrigued.
[Reply]
shilala 07:41 AM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by 357:
Are you hanging your crop? If so what's next and can we get pics? I think we're all intrigued.
No, I've actually just harvested seed and let most of the plants stand for the winter. I left them and a border of corn stalks.
I battled with some sort of aphids all summer that I couldn't kill for the life of me. Next summer I'm going to mix up a batch of insecticidal soap that should take care of the problem.
I had a number of other problems along the way, too.
I started the plants way too early, then had to hold them back for so long that it stunted them and most plants didn't come close to reaching their full size potential.
I also missed my window for taking primings because I was sick all during the period I should have done it. I never made a curing area or went and studied Richard's (tzaddi's) curing method.
I also lost track of which varietal was which when I planted them.
From the very start I had planned to just "experience" the plants and learn their habit and how they act this year.
Next year I'll go to all the trouble to close pollinate Richards original seed, and continue work on my own open pollinated varietal.
I'm going to select for an insect repellant plant with huge leaves so I can grow huge wrapper leaves.
If I can find some pics of the plants when they were all in full glory, I'll post them up. :-)
[Reply]
G G 07:46 AM 11-21-2009
Too cool Scott.:-)
[Reply]
eber 04:49 PM 11-21-2009
very cool project scott :-)
[Reply]
DPD6030 06:32 PM 11-21-2009
Sounds like a wonderful experiance Scott. SS Tobacco Enterprise :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:47 AM 11-22-2009
Originally Posted by doctorcue:
Is that a Maple Leaf? Must be the tropical version. :-)
Tropical Maple Leaf; that is a classic!
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Up