Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
All Cigar Discussion>Disappointment on Christmas Eve.
Blak Smyth 09:22 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
Darryl, I tend to lean toward's Tom's line of thinking.
I'd smoke one and see how they are. That way you can say something like "they're not bad at all really, but I gotta tell you, they're counterfeit cc's"
My guess is that they got them in Cuba, and as such, they're very likely made from very real cuban tobacco, so they're as "real" as any other cc. As such, and after looking at your dissection, I bet they're gonna smoke pretty nice, even though they're not going to be true to the marca.
If you have another box handy it might give you opportunity to show them the differences like the cardboard insert. My guess is that since they didn't bother listening to you last time when you tried to explain things to them, they just think you're full of sh1t, ya know? Folks that aren't involved and invested in this thing like we are would probably think a little thing like no date stamp and a cardboard insert doesn't really mean anything. Honestly, it might even be laughable to some people.
I'm sure you can think of a very tactful way to thank them and educate them.
On top of that, I bet you're going to have some nice, interesting homegrown cc's to smoke. Make sure you let us know how they are. :-)
I would just pull all the bands off and consider them mystery CCs:-)
[Reply]
chand 09:26 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
I would just pull all the bands off and consider them mystery CCs:-)
If they some good, that is the way to go. On the plus side the gift giver would probably appreciate that they were getting smoked.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:29 AM 01-04-2012
But I would not include them in any CC PIF here. Or try to have them appar to be RyJ CCs. If they are to be shared, full disclosure is imperative.
:-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 09:30 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
But I would not include them in any CC PIF here. Or try to have them appar to be RyJ CCs. If they are to be shared, full disclosure is imperative.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
DMK 10:56 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Posted via Mobile Device
These won't leave me, I'll smoke one once it warms up a little and will probably smoke my way through them if the first one is nice.
[Reply]
DMK 11:02 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
Darryl, I tend to lean toward's Tom's line of thinking.
I'd smoke one and see how they are. That way you can say something like "they're not bad at all really, but I gotta tell you, they're counterfeit cc's"
My guess is that they got them in Cuba, and as such, they're very likely made from very real cuban tobacco, so they're as "real" as any other cc. As such, and after looking at your dissection, I bet they're gonna smoke pretty nice, even though they're not going to be true to the marca.
If you have another box handy it might give you opportunity to show them the differences like the cardboard insert. My guess is that since they didn't bother listening to you last time when you tried to explain things to them, they just think you're full of sh1t, ya know? Folks that aren't involved and invested in this thing like we are would probably think a little thing like no date stamp and a cardboard insert doesn't really mean anything. Honestly, it might even be laughable to some people.
I'm sure you can think of a very tactful way to thank them and educate them.
On top of that, I bet you're going to have some nice, interesting homegrown cc's to smoke. Make sure you let us know how they are. :-)
They did get them in Cuba, they were also educated before they went, but as you said, "My guess is that since they didn't bother listening to you last time when you tried to explain things to them, they just think you're full of sh1t, ya know?"
I was tactful in thanking them for thinking of me, and also informing them the status and risk of their purchase.
They go down again in Mar. and I won't be asking for more.:-)
[Reply]
Coop 12:26 PM 01-04-2012
Construction looked pretty good. Wonder how they'll smoke!!

Thanks for the dissect job. I did the same thing with some fake Cohiba's in a glass top
[Reply]
Doctorossi 12:44 PM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Coop:
Construction looked pretty good.
The bands do indeed look legit, too, so...

[utter_speculation]

there may be a fair amount of ingredients in this 'product' that fell out of the correct factory.

[/utter_speculation]
[Reply]
Coop 12:46 PM 01-04-2012
My cigar noob friends thought they were smoking some real cohiba's... they couldn't tell the difference between their bands and my real band!!!
[Reply]
Doctorossi 12:59 PM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Coop:
My cigar noob friends thought they were smoking some real cohiba's... they couldn't tell the difference between their bands and my real band!!!
The fake bands have gotten decidedly better in recent years (desktop publishing trickle-down, I imagine), but (to my knowledge) it's still very rare to seen clean embossing like these have on a fake band.
[Reply]
SpruceBruce 04:06 PM 01-21-2012
So thanks to Darryl, I got my newsletter the other day. Very informative and educational! :-)
[Reply]
DMK 12:59 PM 02-10-2012
Just a quick update... I've smoked two now with another legit RyJ for comparison... :-) They were flat tasting with little or no usual Cuban flavor profile.
[Reply]
dwoodward 01:06 PM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by DMK:
Just a quick update... I've smoked two now with another legit RyJ for comparison... :-) They were flat tasting with little or no usual Cuban flavor profile.
Probably just cheap Dominicans. Sorry to hear of your gift bombing, but this happens all the time, you are not alone. lol
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Up