Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 6
« First < 234 56 >
Entertainment>Metal!!!
silentjon 10:16 AM 02-03-2009
Here are some other obscure (to most people) bands I like:
Agalloch, Asmegin, Borknagar, Ensiferum, Kalmah, Falkenbach, Into Eternity, Finntroll, Callenish Circle, Melechesh, Moonsorrow, Orphaned Land, Thyrfing, Enslaved, Neuraxis, Edge of Sanity, Omnium Gatherum
[Reply]
Godofgravity 10:26 AM 02-03-2009
Into Eternity is friggin sweet. Finntroll...well, all I have to say is if you've never heard of them, just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGywo81G6lk

Love it or hate it, it's a hilarious video.
[Reply]
muziq 10:43 AM 02-03-2009
I'm more doom/drudge/sludge metal: Sunn0))), Boris, Earth, Pharoah Overlord, Om, Nadja, etc. Don't mind me some proggy metal in the form of Pelican, Isis, and Red Sparowes, but that's less and less these days.

Last show was Om and it was deathly loud...amazing that a single guitar and drum kit can nearly blow your eardrums out.
[Reply]
silentjon 10:46 AM 02-03-2009
Originally Posted by muziq:
I'm more doom/drudge/sludge metal: Sunn0))), Boris, Earth, Pharoah Overlord, Om, Nadja, etc. Don't mind me some proggy metal in the form of Pelican, Isis, and Red Sparowes, but that's less and less these days.

Last show was Om and it was deathly loud...amazing that a single guitar and drum kit can nearly blow your eardrums out.
Doom/sludge is the one type of metal I am not really into. I don't dislike it, it just not my thing.
[Reply]
goalie204 10:48 AM 02-03-2009
Originally Posted by Nick:
If you have never heard of Wintersun, Ensiferum, or Norther I suggest you find them and have a listen.

Goalie: I like Mortal Treason because they are a really talented band not because they are christian. Some bands I left off the list were Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, and At the Throne of Judgement.
I have heard and listened to wintersun, ensiferum and norther. I have some ensiferum, but am not a big fan of any of them.

I liked the mortal treason music that i downloaded, the music was great, and they are talented musicians, but as soon as i started hearing christ this and jesus that, I lost interest. I can't stand that sh1t.
[Reply]
Godofgravity 10:53 AM 02-03-2009

Was going to ask if anyone was into stuff like this. I'm a fan of doom/drudge/drone stuff like Asunder, Ataraxie, Catacombs, Comatose Vigil, Saturnus, Until Death Overtakes Me, Colosseum, and Slumber. Isis is great too.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 11:15 AM 02-03-2009
Originally Posted by silentjon:
, Callenish Circle,
I absolutely LOVED Callenish Circle's last album and was super bummed when I heard they broke up. I was just starting to get into them :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:34 AM 02-03-2009
Wow, never heard of any of these groups. Must be getting old.
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 12:10 PM 02-03-2009
You guts like metal? Here's my son's band...
[Reply]
muziq 12:19 PM 02-03-2009
Originally Posted by Godofgravity:
Was going to ask if anyone was into stuff like this. I'm a fan of doom/drudge/drone stuff like Asunder, Ataraxie, Catacombs, Comatose Vigil, Saturnus, Until Death Overtakes Me, Colosseum, and Slumber. Isis is great too.
That's all stuff I'm not as familiar with, but I move slow. :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 12:24 PM 02-03-2009
metal is such a blanket genre and some of it opnion as to what is metal.
[Reply]
Godofgravity 12:25 PM 02-03-2009
That's all stuff I'm not as familiar with, but I move slow. :-)
:-) not surprised, the only one from your list I've heard of is Sunn0))). There seems to be a ton of bands in this sub-genre. Maybe it's because anyone with a guitar and garage band can record a power-chord being held for 5minutes over white noise.
[Reply]
Nick 02:12 PM 02-03-2009
Originally Posted by goalie204:
I have heard and listened to wintersun, ensiferum and norther. I have some ensiferum, but am not a big fan of any of them.

I liked the mortal treason music that i downloaded, the music was great, and they are talented musicians, but as soon as i started hearing christ this and jesus that, I lost interest. I can't stand that sh1t.

I try not to let things like that affect me and what I listen to. If I think a band has talent and I enjoy listening to them that's all I care about, I don't pay attention to their politics or beliefs.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 02:55 PM 02-03-2009
Generally Christian and Metal have never really gone together. However lately there have been quite a few Christian Metal bands that I've very much enjoyed. And not being a Christian myself I must say, its all about the music.

If you get a chance, check 'em out:

Norma Jean (my favorite Christian Metal band)
UnderOath
Haste the Day
[Reply]
Nick 03:16 PM 02-03-2009
I know of all of those, a little more HXC than metal. Norma Jean is fun to listen to but Underoath is a little annoying to me.
[Reply]
muziq 05:31 AM 02-04-2009
Originally Posted by Godofgravity:
:-) not surprised, the only one from your list I've heard of is Sunn0))). There seems to be a ton of bands in this sub-genre. Maybe it's because anyone with a guitar and garage band can record a power-chord being held for 5minutes over white noise.
Yeah, there's definintely a lot of crap in this subgenre out there, but every now and then you come across something like Sunn0))) & Boris' Altar from last year, and you have a revelatory experience. I've been digging deep into Nadja/Aidan Baker this last year for just that reason...dude is ridiculously prolific (like 10-15 albums per year under various monikers) and each one is full of epic melodies that rip dark and dank-like. The recent split release he did with Atavist and Satori is a great example.
[Reply]
goalie204 06:58 AM 02-04-2009
Originally Posted by Nick:
I try not to let things like that affect me and what I listen to. If I think a band has talent and I enjoy listening to them that's all I care about, I don't pay attention to their politics or beliefs.
A lot of the bands i listen to, i can't hear the lyrics. As a musician by blood and formerly of practice, my big thing is the music. I don't often care about lyrics. But because of my views on religion, I don't like to hear about "jesus" or "christ" in the way they scream about it, and i can hear it. Their music is great like i said, but hearing this jesus crap ruins it for me sometimes. In this case it did. I still have the albums, so i'm going to give them another shot, but if in every song i hear that crap, nothx.
[Reply]
goalie204 06:59 AM 02-04-2009
The best thing about this thread is that I'm always looking for new metal to listen to. I have listened to a lot of the bands mentioned here, but a lot i have never heard of and look forward to checking out their stuff in hopes that I love some of them.
[Reply]
Killjoy 08:01 AM 02-04-2009
I would also like to suggest checking out Ghoultown and Maltoro, on a completely different vein
[Reply]
goalie204 08:18 PM 08-20-2009
HAPPY bIRTHDAY DIMEBAG - AUG 20 DIMEbAGS BDAY REAST IN PEACE BROTHER

DRINKING BLACK TOOTH GRINm X10000
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
« First < 234 56 >
Up