Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 11
« First < 234 56 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>DBall's Newb Blind Taste Test #4
Goldie 01:05 PM 10-28-2010
I just watched that episode on Monday. I love that show.
[Reply]
DBall 05:39 PM 10-28-2010
jonumber1 Cigar #3

Stuck at work, what better way to pass the time than smoke #3!

Initial thoughts
I guess by some peoples standards the looks of this stick would be considered flawed, but I really like it.
There are a few tiny flakes missing from the foot, little acne like bumps covering the stick, and a blotch of glue from where the band was removed.
There even is a blemish near the cap that looks like it was caused when a fingernail pried it from its resting place. Just looking at it seems to tell a story.
I can see in my head it being rolled, banded, and ripped from its home, only to be met with a fiery death. This stick has character to it.

First Third
The draw is perfect on this one, so I light it up. Initially I get a strong tobacco and mild caramel taste. A half inch in I get a creamy cedar taste.
The smoke is thick and creamy. I go to my nose and it burns. I am however now able to get ¾ to all of the smoke out through my nose.
A feat I thought near impossible a few weeks ago.

Second Third
As I move into the second third the ash falls. I taste a little sweetness creeping in, but it is unidentifiable right now.
The cedar has really taken over, and I can taste it long after I put the cigar down. The smoke has remained thick and creamy, much to my liking.

Last Third
I start the last third off with a purge; I’m hoping this switches things up a bit. I’m still getting cedar now just behind an earthy musk.
As the Cedar mellows I’m starting to get a taste of some spice. The spice disappeared almost as soon as it showed up.
Getting closer to the nub; the flavor is 75% cedar, 25% earth.

Final thoughts
This stick toyed with me throughout the whole smoke. I felt like different flavors were about to creep in at any moment, but it just never happened.
The faint sweetness I got in the first two thirds, and the hint of spice in the last, were overpowered by the cedar and never really developed.
I would call this cigar one dimensional. Burn and draw were perfect right down to the nub.
In the end I enjoyed this cigar, but wasn’t knocked out by it.

Final score 7/10
Smoke time: 1 hr 42 min
[Reply]
DBall 05:39 PM 10-28-2010
Samsquanch Cigar #3

Sorry for the delay on #3, things have been a little busy and I've been away from the board for a while. The next reviews will be completed in a more timely manner.

On to the review, I have nothing but good things to say about #3. A great looking box pressed stick, about 5 inches and a 46 RG.

Pre-light draw was great, already thinking this was going to be a winner.

Lit her up and the first puff was beautiful. Lots of smoke, full of flavor with notes of chocolate and nuts.

In the above picture you can see my smoking situation, in a small, non-smoking city apartment I'm stuck with sitting by the window with a fan blowing outside. You can also see the accompanying treat, a Little Debbie Christmas tree, I love these things (a little too much).

This baby stayed consistent throughout, with loads of beautiful white smoke, easy draw and tons of mild flavor. Lots of chocolate, nuts, and coffee. Man I am enjoying this one!

The draw was perfect throughout and the burn stayed nice and even with no touch ups needed.

Can't wait to know what this was, perhaps a ERDM? I enjoyed every puff and give it a whopping 10 out of 10. Loved it, thanks Dan!
[Reply]
DBall 05:42 PM 10-28-2010
What they smoked:

2009 Vegas Robaina Famoso

jonumberone score: 7

Samsquanch score: 10

Damn, Sam... you really liked this, eh?

These are great cigars... I've just recently been getting into robustos and picked a box of these up after having one gifted to me in the TAW. I didn't believe how good it was.

Glad you guys enjoyed this one!
[Reply]
GTCanuk 05:56 PM 10-28-2010
Good review guys I enjoy this one also:-)
[Reply]
CRIMPS 06:11 PM 10-28-2010
Great reviews! :-)
[Reply]
Brutus2600 08:46 AM 10-29-2010
Nice...these threads always make me want to go shopping :-)
[Reply]
njstone 09:37 AM 10-29-2010
These reviews are awesome! I just had my first Famoso a few weeks ago and I was about as blown away as Samsquanch ... dang good cigar! No idea who old mine was or how that effects these.
[Reply]
Samsquanch 10:43 AM 10-29-2010
Yeah I really enjoyed it. My next box will definitely be those, unless #4-10 change my mind!! :-)
[Reply]
Brutus2600 08:47 AM 11-03-2010
Are we possibly going to see #4 this weekend? :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 08:48 AM 11-03-2010
I already submitted 4, 5, 6, and have #7 with me today :-)
[Reply]
Brutus2600 08:52 AM 11-03-2010
Rofl, way to pace yourself Dom :-)

:-):-)

I guess you smoke a lot of cigars though, so I probably shouldn't be surprised that you're getting them done so quickly
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 10:01 AM 11-03-2010
I really enjoy reading this thread and all the reviews :-)

And props for pairing a VR with a Christmas tree snack cake :-)
[Reply]
DBall 10:21 AM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
Are we possibly going to see #4 this weekend? :-)
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
I already submitted 4, 5, 6, and have #7 with me today :-)

That'll be up to Andrew. Dom's almost done with all of them already!
[Reply]
Samsquanch 01:45 PM 11-03-2010
Yikes, Dom is kicking my ass, I'll get #4 in this evening and get a few done this weekend.
[Reply]
DBall 02:02 PM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by Samsquanch:
Yikes, Dom is kicking my ass, I'll get #4 in this evening and get a few done this weekend.
No need to hurry... just one a week. Dom is just a machine. :-)
[Reply]
lopro 01:08 PM 11-04-2010
Dom, I love that ashtray setup you got. Neat and portable. Who makes it?

This thread is making me want to try some of those sticks from the other island.... I may try that Vegas.... (Unless you have another rec, Dan?)

Until then, the NC's are treating me fine.

I forgot how fun these threads are to follow. Dan, you ever think of doing a "DBall's Vet Blind Taste Test"? (And, I am by no means a vet, so there's no ulterior motive here.) It could be neat to see if the veterans reviews would really pick up much more or differ that much from the "newbs."
[Reply]
docdoty 02:20 PM 11-04-2010
I'm going to have to go online shopping tonight. They seem very good and I really like the robusto size.
[Reply]
DBall 02:35 PM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by lopro:
I forgot how fun these threads are to follow. Dan, you ever think of doing a "DBall's Vet Blind Taste Test"? (And, I am by no means a vet, so there's no ulterior motive here.) It could be neat to see if the veterans reviews would really pick up much more or differ that much from the "newbs."
In fact, I have considered that. My only concern is that newbs know very little about habanos (meaning size/shape/etc). If I put a Partagas Charlotte in there, for instance, it'd probably be discovered as what it is before it was even lit.

Now that you got me thinking about it, I could do an abbreviated version with common sizes (Robusto/corona/etc).

That may be the 5th (and potentially final one... I think I need to pass the torch here soon :-) ).
[Reply]
Samsquanch 08:20 PM 11-04-2010
I think it would be cool to see a newb vs. a veteran...
[Reply]
Page 4 of 11
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Up