Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 11
« First < 234 56 > Last »
General Discussion>Rolex Owners?..
mosesbotbol 01:45 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Moses,
I was under the impression my watch is built as a solid case, from the top down, as opposed to via opening the back as most watches.
I thought they built the case sort of like a boat and drop things in from the top down, making it difficult for just anyone to open them without causing markings to the case as they attempt to do so.
Yes and no. It is a solid milled case, but how would you open it then? Break the crystal, lol?

The case is opened with this:

It does require skill as you don't want to scratch the back and more importantly putting back you don't want to crimp a gasket or something. Between a solid case (not sure if they use an inner case like on some watches) and thick crystal, it's pretty solid. Older Rolex use acrlylic crystal that is softer, but more adaptable and easier to polish.

Some watches have proprietary tools to open the caseback like Baume Mercier for instance. They want to make the money on the service or least make you buy their tool.
[Reply]
Blueface 01:49 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Yes and no. It is a solid milled case, but how would you open it then? Break the crystal, lol?

The case is opened with this:

It does require skill as you don't want to scratch the back and more importantly putting back you don't want to crimp a gasket or something. Between a solid case (not sure if they use an inner case like on some watches) and thick crystal, it's pretty solid. Older Rolex use acrlylic crystal that is softer, but more adaptable and easier to polish.

Some watches have proprietary tools to open the caseback like Baume Mercier for instance. They want to make the money on the service or least make you buy their tool.
I am not that naive.
I know they can be opened but thought it was from the top down, as opposed to most watches from the bottom in.

As to the tool, I was under the impression it was proprietary but some folks open them using similar tools, just not the same as Rolex.
[Reply]
Blueface 01:51 PM 03-31-2010
Just thought I would mention CA is like going to college every day.
I learn as I visit.:-)
[Reply]
jmsremax 01:53 PM 03-31-2010
So can anyone get a discount on a Rolex?

Depending on the next step in my career I might be interested in getting one...still a ways off though :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:56 PM 03-31-2010
I am not that naive.
I know they can be opened but thought it was from the top down, as opposed to most watches from the bottom in.

As to the tool, I was under the impression it was proprietary but some folks open them using similar tools, just not the same as Rolex.
I am not an expert, but do not see how it could be opened from the crystal? You'd also have take off the hands and dial, and the swing mass & regualtor is still on the case back side.

Does not make sense. What I could find on the web all said it was the caseback like a normal watch. I am not saying, "I'm right, you're wrong", but haven't seen anything contrary online.

I would like to be wrong as it would be a lot more interesting to me.
[Reply]
cbsmokin 01:59 PM 03-31-2010
The best "discount" on a Rolex from an authorized retailer is usually about 10%. You may have had to buy with them previously to get it. If you go outside the USA it can be more. Many dealers won't discount a Rolex because they know the guy behind you will pay full retail. You can get deeper discounts shopping on-line, but of course like other things we purchase on-line, know & trust your vendor.
[Reply]
jmsremax 02:01 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by cbsmokin:
The best "discount" on a Rolex from an authorized retailer is usually about 10%. If you go outside the USA it can be more. Many dealers won't discount a Rolex because they know the guy behind you will pay full retail. You can get deeper discounts shopping on-line, but of course like other things we purchase on-line, know & trust your vendor.
I see....well when the time comes I will go to a dealer. I do not trust the internet for such a purchase. Thanks for the heads up.
[Reply]
Blueface 02:02 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by cbsmokin:
The best "discount" on a Rolex from an authorized retailer is usually about 10%. If you go outside the USA it can be more. Many dealers won't discount a Rolex because they know the guy behind you will pay full retail. You can get deeper discounts shopping on-line, but of course like other things we purchase on-line, know & trust your vendor.
A good friend use to work for Rolex.
The easiest way to lose your account is to offer a discount.
Not to say folks don't do it.
I got 15% on mine via someone I knew but that could have cost him his account.
[Reply]
Blueface 02:03 PM 03-31-2010
I am not an expert, but do not see how it could be opened from the crystal? You'd also have take off the hands and dial, and the swing mass & regualtor is still on the case back side.

Does not make sense. What I could find on the web all said it was the caseback like a normal watch. I am not saying, "I'm right, you're wrong", but haven't seen anything contrary online.

I would like to be wrong as it would be a lot more interesting to me.
I am going to email my friend that use to work for Rolex in NY and inquire as I am really curious.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:04 PM 03-31-2010
I think I can get for 15% off in Biel, or for sure get the most sought after ones with no wait or overcharge. LNIB is the best bet with valid warranty card.
[Reply]
Blueface 02:10 PM 03-31-2010
Moses,
Found this awesome link.
I was wrong and you were right, not that I thought I could be right as I don't know chit about watchmaking.
The only thing I was right about is they are a solid case but are opened from the back as traditional watches are.
Check out the images of the equipment used and how they do it.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=49454
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:23 PM 03-31-2010
Cool pictures, but I could not see where the watch is regulated from? Maybe someone else could point that out? Do they have a proprietary way of regulating their movements? Usually it's a + and - with an arrow between.

The machine that takes apart the case back in the vice or holds the watch while being worked might the kind of piece our machine shop manufacturers for Rolex.
[Reply]
dh01 02:39 PM 03-31-2010
Dayum, nice watch. I wish my dad would have gone halfers on a $20K+ Rolex, well that and wished I had $10K when I was still in high school...haha.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:29 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by dh01:
Dayum, nice watch. I wish my dad would have gone halfers on a $20K+ Rolex, well that and wished I had $10K when I was still in high school...haha.
I see plenty of college students from South America with Daytonas every day. All they did to earn it is be born. :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 03:30 PM 03-31-2010
Cool pictures, but I could not see where the watch is regulated from? Maybe someone else could point that out? Do they have a proprietary way of regulating their movements? Usually it's a + and - with an arrow between.

The machine that takes apart the case back in the vice or holds the watch while being worked might the kind of piece our machine shop manufacturers for Rolex.
My friend wrote back to me.
She says in addition to what was on that link, after they are done putting it back together, they place it in a special machine for 48 hours to pressurize it and then ensure water tight.
I will ask if she knows how they adjust it.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:49 PM 03-31-2010
My friend wrote back to me.
She says in addition to what was on that link, after they are done putting it back together, they place it in a special machine for 48 hours to pressurize it and then ensure water tight.
I will ask if she knows how they adjust it.
I think the pressure testing is after they do the 7 positon testing or regulating. If it was air tight, why open it again to adjust it at that point? Just my hunch.
[Reply]
0002S 05:48 PM 03-31-2010
Here's my daily beater

[Reply]
jmsremax 07:26 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by 0002S:
Here's my daily beater

Daily beater....that is sick. That is my go to watch from Rolex if I can afford one down the road. What the heck do you do for a living for that to be your beater?!?! :-)
[Reply]
colinb913 07:30 PM 03-31-2010
Wow, that tool is a serious looking machine. Yes, they can be opened from the back, and all the settings are in there, but they are put under a extreme amount of pressure afterwards to make sure that they are sealed. Rolex is a serious watch. :-) But I certainly cannot comment on how to ascertain a discount, except through a dealer..

Nor do I know how they adjust them. I love loev watches, but the inner workings are still a unknown boundary for me. I opened up a old watch from my grand-dad (RIP) and I slapped the back right back on.. Too complicated, too many small parts, too many things to mess up!
[Reply]
0002S 07:36 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by jmsremax:
Daily beater....that is sick. That is my go to watch from Rolex if I can afford one down the road. What the heck do you do for a living for that to be your beater?!?! :-)
What I did for a living was not have children so I could have a Sub daily beater. :-) I bought this one years ago used from a friend who needed cash.

As Rolex goes, they aren't that expensive. They are almost indestructible. This one keeps pretty good time and runs about 5 minutes fast a month. I've never serviced it and wear it 90% of the time.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 11
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Up