Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
General Discussion>How do you shave?
MLC 06:32 PM 10-21-2008
Mach 3 razor & Aveno shaving cream for my head - Electric for face.
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 07:12 PM 10-21-2008
Straight razor passed down to me by my grandpa.
[Reply]
Aladdin Sane 07:29 PM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper:
Straight razor passed down to me by my grandpa.
I would SO kill myself....:-) :-)
[Reply]
CBI_2 07:55 PM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
I knew that was coming. :-)

No, it depends on what I'm shaving. :-)
Damn! Your butt's that hairy?! :-)
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 09:57 PM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by Aladdin Sane:
I would SO kill myself....:-) :-)
No joke I never have cut my self with it.

It's scary at first, and first few times it took me over an hour. Even now it still takes way longer then with something like say a Quattro.

Personally I find it relaxing and rewarding putting that time in.

If you'd like some tips or a how to I'd be more then willing. It's just don't rush and keep your blade sharp, no magic ninja tricks. Not saying I'm not a magical ninja though :-)
[Reply]
kayaker 06:30 AM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper:
No joke I never have cut my self with it.

It's scary at first, and first few times it took me over an hour. Even now it still takes way longer then with something like say a Quattro.

Personally I find it relaxing and rewarding putting that time in.

If you'd like some tips or a how to I'd be more then willing. It's just don't rush and keep your blade sharp, no magic ninja tricks. Not saying I'm not a magical ninja though :-)
I bought a safety razor as a small step towards getting a straight blade. It is a "safety" razor, but you still have to be careful with it, more so than the cartridge models. It's nicer shave too, and I'm with you on taking time to enjoy the ritual. My biggest worry with the SR is taking care of it and keeping it sharp. I'd like to find someone to help show me how to take care of it properly, versus learning on my own and ruining it.
[Reply]
FriskyDingo 12:02 PM 10-22-2008
I go between a Gillette fusion manual razor and the Braun Pulsonic series electric razor. I love my Braun Pulsonic razor though!
[Reply]
GKitty 01:05 PM 10-22-2008
Chiming in for the girls' team:

Venus Breeze - 3 blades and built in shave gel bars - easiest and best shave EVER!
[Reply]
fxpose 01:27 PM 10-22-2008
I'm a cyclist so I also shave my legs. Chicks dig that...:-)
[Reply]
lenguamor 01:56 PM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo:
I go between a Gillette fusion manual razor and the Braun Pulsonic series electric razor. I love my Braun Pulsonic razor though!
Over the years I've had several electrics that haven't worked out; first, because they didn't shave close enough, second because by the time I got halfway through my face and head, they got so bloody hot I couldn't stand it!

I'd love to try a Braun, given the reputation they enjoy. It'd be nice for touch-ups.
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 02:07 PM 10-22-2008
I shave with the grain and a 4 blade razor. Against the grain is smoother, but tons of ingrown hairs.
[Reply]
kayaker 02:21 PM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel:
I shave with the grain and a 4 blade razor. Against the grain is smoother, but tons of ingrown hairs.
With my DE razor shave with the grain twice and against the grain once or twice.

Even with my old cartridge razors I would shave against the grain at least once.

In either case, I have never had an ingrown hair. Is it common?
[Reply]
kaisersozei 02:23 PM 10-22-2008
A Mach 3 razor and this stuff

applied with a brush. It is the absolute best shaving cream I have ever used. One 8oz tub costs $20 and lasts me 6 months, shaving at least once/day.

Wet my face with the hottest water I can stand, lather up, let it sit for a bit. First shave is with the grain; once I'm done, I may go back a second time against the grain.

I have that Mediterranean blood in me. Shaving's a pain in the ass, but if I don't do it I'll pretty much have a full beard in a week. :-)
[Reply]
AriesOpusX 03:08 PM 10-22-2008
Old school mach 3 and gillette gel.
[Reply]
MithShrike 03:12 PM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
I have that Mediterranean blood in me. Shaving's a pain in the ass, but if I don't do it I'll pretty much have a full beard in a week. :-)
Heh, I'm cursed many times over. Scottish, English, Irish, Portuguese, Spanish, and then the Native American blood makes it not grow in small patches.
[Reply]
AdamC 08:45 PM 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel:
I hear you on this. My girl loves when I shave against the grain, but then she tortures me with trying to "help" force out the ingrowns. I've been using Nivea gel but it's not really lathering quite like I'd like, I think also because I shave in the shower. I'll use Johnson's baby oil wash too actually, the oil lets the blade slide a little better and feels great. Then I use a micro bead body wash and Clinique facial wash for men afterwards to help exfoliate a little trying to prevent the ingrowns (Usually doesn't work if I shaved against). Still not quite getting the results, but I've only been shaving with a Gilette Fusion for a few months. I previously always used an electric razor....I want to try some thicker cream with a brush, I'll check out some of the recommendations on here. I will admit to using her girlie fruity smelling shaving gel once in a while too and it's pretty moisturizing.

My girl uses a battery powered Schick Quattro and has been for years. Says it's better than any girl razor she's ever used.
[Reply]
Cenookie 08:58 PM 10-24-2008
I use Williams Lectric Shave and an electric razor. This is the only thing that I can use and not get ingrown hairs.
[Reply]
TOB9595 09:31 PM 10-24-2008
I'm a wetshaver...I try to do a proper hydration before lathering up. I don't use a pre shove, tho I've tried them.
I was using a straight razor. My spine goes into spasm at times and I started to cut myself too often to continue with the straight.
I find this modern razor the best , just a squige under the straight...but no cutting.
After I scrape the hair off I use and alum block, after shave cream then an edt of some sort.
Here's what I use today. I love the scuttle. Keeps the lather nice and warm throughout the shave.
Cream or sopa. I'm using Mitchells Wool Fat at home this week. I love the Shave Den Lavender and Tea Tree cream.

Here's a typical setup when I was cutting away at myself
hahahahaha

I do miss the stropping. I enjoy my shaves, usually.
Tom
[Reply]
Scottw 10:15 PM 10-24-2008
From the chode up?
[Reply]
Hardcz 10:24 PM 10-24-2008
mach 3 no shaving creme, just water and the blade
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Up