Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 6
« First < 234 56 >
General Discussion>pistol or cigars?
Bill86 05:44 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by bonjing:
After shooting one today, I'd go with a HK P30 :-)
I was looking into those, didn't like that they didn't have a safety. They do have the HK P30s but it's got dual ambidextrous safeties and such. I dunno I'm going to look at them in person and a regular HK USP Compact 40 cal Wednesday.
[Reply]
floydpink 06:12 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by ggainey:
Another one is it's perfectly ok to carry in Church in Florida and not so in Georgia.:-)
I forget the state they were talking about, and think it was Mass, but last night on talk radio they were talking about trying to overturn a law that says you can point a gun at a home invader but NOT shoot.

Thank goodness Florida doesn't have dumb laws like that.

Very good advice to be sure you know the particular state's laws where you plan to carry as "I didn't know" won't work very well in court.

Oh and here is the complete list of the state you mentioned's recipricocity laws state by state:

http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/pistol.htm
[Reply]
Ranger_B 06:26 PM 01-02-2011
Devan as AD you will qualify for a resident CCW. Just keep in mind that while AD you have to worry about transport on and off base. If you live on post it is very difficult to carry.
[Reply]
Devanmc 07:07 PM 01-02-2011
yeah it is not aloud here. but i can work on getting the CCL on my way out. just easier that way. it takes time to get it. so ill save for the weapon in the mean time :-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:27 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by Ranger_B:
Devan as AD you will qualify for a resident CCW. Just keep in mind that while AD you have to worry about transport on and off base. If you live on post it is very difficult to carry.
One of the most ridiculous things ever.
[Reply]
alley00p 07:48 PM 01-02-2011
Devan, in Michigan, any State's CWP is recognized. But as far as I know, an out-of-state permit isn't transferable for a Michigan CWP, so you'll be required to pass all of the requirements here. But I don't see that you should have any trouble in getting one here in Michigan, once you're living here.

When you get here, there are a couple of indoor ranges that rent different styles and models of pistols so you can try them out. A few of my friends have gone that route while trying to decide what to buy.

BTW, my carry gun is a Springfield Armory V-10 Ultra compact .45. I also carry a S&W 915 at times. My competition pistol is a ParaOrdance P14.45. I've seen pretty much every make and model of semi-auto, but I'm partial to John Browning's 1911 design. :-)

Charlie
:-)
[Reply]
Superbad 08:39 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
You should see all the crap you need to go through to even work around a weapons system on my base.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 08:56 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
You dont know the half of it. Needless to say one could argue that people have died because of the restriction. I wont go any deeper but it is a pile of garbage!
[Reply]
rizzle 09:40 AM 01-03-2011
Pistol gets my vote.
[Reply]
captain53 10:27 AM 01-03-2011
Sig P-229 .357 Sig is my favorite but another strong consideration in my book would be the H&K USP 45 - Only with High Capacity Magazines if legal in your state.

I have many pistols and luv the .357 Sig Caliber. For a first pistol owner I don't recommend a Glock but rather something with all the bells and whistles including a positive safety.

You might want to consider a 1911 - 45 ACP if in your budget, not a high capacity but sure a great piece to learn to shoot pistols with and will last you forever.

Nothing wrong with the .40 caliber though I am not a fan of the 9mm unless looking for something small and high capacity.

[Reply]
icehog3 10:34 AM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by rizzle:
Pistol gets my vote.

Thanks, Man.
[Reply]
guitar4001 11:17 AM 01-03-2011
derringers are pretty handy.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 11:50 AM 01-03-2011
Just my .2 but I would look into the compact HK P2000. We use the full size at work and I really like it. Wasn't crazy with it at first but after nearly 4k rounds through it and not a single hick up I love it.
[Reply]
Nathan King 12:02 PM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
Colt 1911 a tried and true proven stopper :-)
I will never part with my Colt 1911 collection.

[Reply]
Bill86 12:06 PM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by captain53:
Sig P-229 .357 Sig is my favorite but another strong consideration in my book would be the H&K USP 45 - Only with High Capacity Magazines if legal in your state.

I have many pistols and luv the .357 Sig Caliber. For a first pistol owner I don't recommend a Glock but rather something with all the bells and whistles including a positive safety.

You might want to consider a 1911 - 45 ACP if in your budget, not a high capacity but sure a great piece to learn to shoot pistols with and will last you forever.

Nothing wrong with the .40 caliber though I am not a fan of the 9mm unless looking for something small and high capacity.

As much as I love 1911's they are heavy as piss to carry. Not to mention they only get 8 rounds. You can trade up with a lighter weight and gain rounds in a polymer gun. They just don't make good carry guns if you're a small(er) guy. Not easy to conceal.
[Reply]
bigswol2 01:00 PM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
sig sauer .45. :-)
church!
[Reply]
Drez 01:49 PM 01-03-2011
get a glock or a spring field xd series. i own both and carry both for work and could not be happier.
[Reply]
357 01:57 PM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
As much as I love 1911's they are heavy as piss to carry. Not to mention they only get 8 rounds. You can trade up with a lighter weight and gain rounds in a polymer gun. They just don't make good carry guns if you're a small(er) guy. Not easy to conceal.
I politely disagree. My 1911 Kimber has an 8 rd mag, but it is carried cocked & locked by design. So, I get 9 rds of .45ACP in a weapon that is only about 1.25 inches wide. For that reason 1911s fit very nicely in "Inside the Waistband" holsters (IWB). The shorter barrel models are even more convenient. Standard is 5 inch, Pro/Officer model is 4.25 inches, and the compact or carry models are 3.5 inches. The frames are offered in blued steel, stainless steel, aluminum alloy, and even polymer. The Kimber compact models are aluminum alloy frame with stainless slides and they weigh in at 25 ounces. The standard and pro sizes have a full size grip and therefore a full 8 rd mag. The compact are usually 1 rd lower capacity.
[Reply]
Nathan King 02:02 PM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Who ever said they're difficult for a small guy to conceal? They're quite easy as they are thinner than most polymer pistols.

With a good IWB holster a 1911 can disappear under a t-shirt:

[Reply]
357 02:03 PM 01-03-2011
That is very similar to my IWB. I carry the 5 inch full size model. I can carry with shorts and a T-shirt without people noticing.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
« First < 234 56 >
Up