General Discussion>Photography Thread
gbum 10:15 AM 01-27-2010
old pics,sunset behind my grandma's house

[Reply]
Mugen910 10:17 AM 01-27-2010
Any photoshoping Gbum? Great pics btw.
[Reply]
gbum 10:24 AM 01-27-2010
a minor touch of burn tool and few points of curve...
[Reply]
Mugen910 10:27 AM 01-27-2010
Great photos...I'm assuming you needed a tripod..high F/stop and slow shutter speed?
[Reply]
gbum 10:31 AM 01-27-2010
thanks
not really,
just rise up the iso to 500
set the shutter speed around 1/125 to 1/200...
i only use a tripod if the shutter sped below 1/20... anything above 1/30 i still can handle it...
[Reply]
kenstogie 11:01 AM 01-27-2010
Originally Posted by The Professor:
Boy, Ken ... don't take this the wrong way; but we've got a lot to discuss. First, quit using the green box (auto). It will rarely give you good results. Switch to manual and start experimenting. Second, what kind of glass do you have on there? More important than a flash, imho, will be some fast glass -- a fast (f/1.4 or 1.8) prime or a fast-ish (f/2.8) zoom. Churches and ministers often frown on flash photography during the ceremony. Especially if you're using the kit (which has a variable aperture, at best 3.5), you're not going to get the narrow DOF you want for some of the portraits. Third, what software are you using for post? You *need* to be shooting in RAW and using wither DPP (the Canon software) or something like Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw to process the keepers you'll have. I find that the T1i is usable for small prints all the way up to ISO 3200 with post-processing. ISO 1600 should be okay for 5x7s and maybe 8x10s if you're crafty. ISO 800 will probably be key for big prints, though.

Go get on PotN (I provided a link above) and read read read. All that said, I'm assuming that you've never shot a wedding in a professional capacity and that you're newer to DSLR photography. If those are false assumptions, I'm sorry.
I rarely use the "green box" now. I am using kit glass which I am not in love with. You are right about the aperatures with that stuff. I am not new to SLR's, have taken both college and high school photography. I think I have a good grasp on the basics and even had a Minolta SLR for some time. I have shot a couple of weddings but relied on outdoor light and not shot at the level I want to be at. The Bride/Groom still were very pleased but they really couldn't complain for the price either :-)
My sister wanted to save money and asked. So I said sure. She does not have as dicriminating an eye as photographers I don't think.
[Reply]
kenstogie 12:32 PM 01-27-2010
Well Proffesor I am on PotN (screen name kenstogie, surprise, surprise :-) )and there's ALOT of info there.

Any particular threads you might recommend??
[Reply]
The Professor 12:45 PM 01-27-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
Well Proffesor I am on PotN (screen name kenstogie, surprise, surprise :-) )and there's ALOT of info there.

Any particular threads you might recommend??
There are a TON of wedding threads -- a whole forum, I believe. I'd read through those. I'd also look at the stickied lenses thread if you're thinking of new glass. Read before posting, for sure. I'm "Dokk" over there.

It's a good/fun community. Really helpful comments & criticism when you post pictures. Careful, though ... they have the tendency to push people down their slope just like we push folks down certain slopes here. :-)

Oh ... and check out the "for sale" forum. You've gotta be quick; but you can get some nice pickups there if you know what you're looking for. Lenses hold their value a little too well, though, IMHO -- too well for me to not just spend a little extra to buy new with a full warranty.
[Reply]
kenstogie 01:27 PM 01-27-2010
Thanks Dokk I was already looking through those. :-)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 08:09 PM 01-27-2010
Originally Posted by LockOut:
level out the horizon (easy to do in ps) Sorry it drives me nuts when landscapes are crooked. Otherwise great shot, love the way the water turned out.
Originally Posted by longknocker:
And I Thought It Was Just My Old Eyes!:-)
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
I too really like the shot I believe picassa has a straigtening tool.

Any flash recommendations for my T1i?
The horizon is straight. It is the perspective of the island the building is on that throws most people off.
Camera Raw has a wonderful straightening tool.
[Reply]
0002S 09:30 PM 01-27-2010
Some shots from the botanical garden from a few weeks back

All shot with Canon 5D MKII hand held
105 f2.8 Macro Lens
800 ISO
F16
various shutter
no fill flash
all shot in 25 meg jpeg

[Reply]
gbum 09:43 PM 01-27-2010
urhhh 5d mkII...:-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 09:51 PM 01-27-2010
Originally Posted by 0002S:
Some shots from the botanical garden from a few weeks back
Nice detail and color on the botanical photos Shawn...:-)

[Reply]
0002S 10:08 PM 01-27-2010
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Nice detail and color on the botanical photos Shawn...:-)

Thank you
[Reply]
The Professor 10:35 PM 01-27-2010
I want a 5d so bad -- Mk 1 or Mk 2 ... I don't care which (though the Mk 2 would be nicer, of course). :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
0002S 04:38 AM 01-28-2010
Originally Posted by The Professor:
I want a 5d so bad -- Mk 1 or Mk 2 ... I don't care which (though the Mk 2 would be nicer, of course). :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
It a great FF camera. I'm not a fan of the banding issue (really a Canon camera issuse). Once you understand it, it's easy to work around. With certain lens it can hunt for low light focus. Other than these small issues it a great camera.

I use the video feature more than I thought I initially would.
[Reply]
longknocker 04:59 AM 01-28-2010
Originally Posted by 0002S:
Thank you
Beautiful, Shawn!:-) Maybe Someday I Can Get "Close" To That Quality!:-)
[Reply]
longknocker 05:02 AM 01-28-2010
Shawn, I Realize Those Are Macro Shots, But At What Distance Did You Shoot Those?:-)
[Reply]
0002S 05:06 AM 01-28-2010
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Shawn, I Realize Those Are Macro Shots, But At What Distance Did You Shoot Those?:-)
1 foot and under. The lens in 1:1. There is very little crop in the PP. Mostly I crop out background distractions.

What makes these tough hand held is the DOF. To get f16 this close without blur, you need ISO 800+ with reasonable shutter speeds. This lens has no IS.
[Reply]
Footbag 06:21 PM 01-29-2010
The moon stitched from two shots...

[Reply]
Page 39 of 220
« First < 29373839 40414989139 > Last »
Up