Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 344 of 350
« First < 244294334342343344 345346 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
icehog3 01:14 AM 07-30-2013
Thank you for the explanation, Son, definitely sounds intriguing. :-)
Adriftpanda 03:18 PM 07-30-2013
Back day. Went med-heavy. Finished off with some rack pulls, never done it before, a buddy of mine was talking about it and said it would be help with some gains on my deads. We'll see.
icehog3 07:51 PM 07-30-2013
Chest day.....went for high reps

Bench Press 185, 6 sets of 25, dropped the rest 20 seconds between each set
Incline Bench to 265
Dips 4 sets of 30 BW
Pec Deck Flyes to 265
jdakine 02:43 AM 08-02-2013
Went to PT on Wednesday and follow up appointment with Doc this morning. Going to give PT another month to see if we can make some more progress with shoulder mechanics.

I did get to use 5 lbs DB's doing incline shoulder press the other day, was so excited.

Huy, be careful with your shoulder Bruddhah, don't want to mess it up.
Robulous78 04:59 AM 08-02-2013
In 2 weeks, the university opens, and I will have access to a gym for the first time in 4 years...

...and the first time in my life at <240 lbs...

Where do I start?
Adriftpanda 07:34 AM 08-02-2013
Thanks Jay, it's getting a little nasty. Rotating my shoulder and I can hear and feel a slight pop every time. When I'm done with this project, I'm going to have it looked at.

Been down here all week and I've been training with the wife's little brother. He loves it and wants to make this a lifestyle of his. We hit legs hard on Wednesday, and I mean hard. I had a bad day and I needed to take it out on someone, that someone was him, hahah. We did shoulders and arms yesterday. First few shoulder press exercises were a bit hard to get up, but after it warmed up and the blood started to flow, I just ignored it (stupidity I know).

Might do some back today but mainly just make it a core day.
icehog3 08:22 AM 08-02-2013
Salutes to the Shoulder Crew (Jay and Huy) from the Third Stooge. Leg day today, nothing crazy as I have a game tonight.
Adriftpanda 12:16 AM 08-04-2013
Did some back and core today.
icehog3 09:32 AM 08-04-2013
Back for me, heading to the gym shortly...then an early hockey game to boot.
PeteSB75 09:38 AM 08-05-2013
Cycling yesterday, was supposed to be 20.5 mi, zoning a bit and missed a turn and added an extra 5 miles... :-)
Lifting tomorrow morning.
icehog3 02:00 PM 08-05-2013
Shoulders today, just went heavy of seated military press and shrugs....short, intense.

Hockey practice tonight, should be a good workout.
Adriftpanda 09:53 PM 08-05-2013
Chest and abs today. Decent training, not sure if ill get in tomorrow.

Salute to the shoulder crew, and Tom
PeteSB75 07:40 AM 08-06-2013
volume work today for legs and shoulders; squats, press and hang cleans.
Remo 09:59 AM 08-06-2013
My buddy from work texted me the other night, says Google "Distal Biceps Rupture" because I think I just did it, I asked him if he heard it "pop" and he says yes and now my bicep looks all crazy....long story short complete tear, surgery was done last week, now on short term disability as he was off duty and not working out on his lunch then Workman's Comp. would have taken care of it.
mk05 11:19 AM 08-06-2013
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Well Westside Barbell is a private gym (invite only) in Ohio that has some of the strongest lifters in the world. The owner is Louie Simmons, who created the model that they train with. So the issue is if you don't train at their gym you don't have all the information they have, and they don't really sell it or talk about it. I've heard the books they have for sale aren't necessarily the best. The methods are broadly explained in numerous articles and youtube videos, but you cannot just go and find a workout and start lifting. So with that here is my best explanation from what I've researched so far..

They follow the Conjugate Method, which is their form of periodization, that is broken down to Dynamic Effort and Max Effort days over a 4-day or 5-day workout plan. Their split is upper and lower body days but the focus is Bench, Deadlifts and Squats. For a maximal effort day you would pick 1 of the main movements and work up to a 1-3RM. The key is that you do a different variation every week on Max Effort day so your body does not get used to it. Then you do accessory work to bring up your weak areas, and the accessory work is completely dependant on the person.

Dynamic effort day you pick 1 of the main movements and you do between 50-70% of your max. Lifting as fast as possible and with the same force as if it was maximal weight. 30-60 seconds between reps of 2 for 10 sets. Again you do accessory work to bring up weak areas. A big part of the Dynamic effort days is to use accommodating resistance, such as bands or chains, to help get stronger. They use a lot of bands in different was to overcome sticking points.

That's the jist of it all. I'm trying to put something together following their methods but it is a little difficult when there isn't anything concrete out there.
Sounds like Rippetoe and Poliquin recommend exercises.

I mainly just squat, deadlift, full clean, bench, dip, and pull up.

Yesterday was my bench day. Just can't seem to break over 225 the past couple months, albeit the stress and crazy schedules. I'll do two, and then there's just no gas left. Doesn't matter if I warm up long/quick/none. Any thoughts?

Today I will be doing full cleans and snatches.
GreekGodX 11:41 AM 08-06-2013
Originally Posted by mk05:
Sounds like Rippetoe and Poliquin recommend exercises.

I mainly just squat, deadlift, full clean, bench, dip, and pull up.

Yesterday was my bench day. Just can't seem to break over 225 the past couple months, albeit the stress and crazy schedules. I'll do two, and then there's just no gas left. Doesn't matter if I warm up long/quick/none. Any thoughts?

Today I will be doing full cleans and snatches.
See this program is making me a big believer. In 2 weeks I've set PRs in Squat and Deadlift. I attribute it to the accessory work the program prescribes.

Maybe that can help you get over 225, Marc. :-)
icehog3 01:54 PM 08-06-2013
Do you always do flat bench at the start of your chest routine, Marc? If so, I would suggest mixing it up and even skipping flat barbell bench every other workout for a bit. Start with inclines, or dumbbell bench, or dumbbell inclines, etc...you get the idea. Soemtimes this helped me get over the hump.
mk05 06:59 PM 08-06-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Do you always do flat bench at the start of your chest routine, Marc? If so, I would suggest mixing it up and even skipping flat barbell bench every other workout for a bit. Start with inclines, or dumbbell bench, or dumbbell inclines, etc...you get the idea. Soemtimes this helped me get over the hump.
Hey Tom, I try to switch from flat to incline to dumbells every other week or so. I just seem to have hit a wall recently at 225. Also have a problem from close to chest until 90 degrees. Maybe need to work the back more?
icehog3 08:10 PM 08-06-2013
It never hurts to work the opposing muscles, Marc, and may give you a push over the 225 threshhold.
bonjing 09:14 AM 08-07-2013
Another day at the chiropractor for me. Hoping my shoulder issue is just a pinched nerve. Jay what symptoms are you having? It's kind of weird for me, I can do shoulder presses but no bench or lateral raises and all other exercises feel semi normal. It does feel a whole lot better when I stretch it out by having a weight in my hand and just dangling my arm freely.

Last of the lifting for me, doing all cardio the next three weeks. Work put on some walking program and offered prizes to the top team. Hopefully we win :-). We have a guy that runs 10 miles a day and another guy that's training for a marathon, some other fit people then you have me :-) :-)

I figure this will be good chance to rest my shoulder.
Page 344 of 350
« First < 244294334342343344 345346 > Last »
Up