Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 34 of 129
« First < 24323334 35364484 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Losing Weight with Starscream
Don Fernando 08:34 AM 10-08-2009
I started on a new healty diet about 3 weeks ago, as I needed to lose 37.84lbs before the surgeon would consider a gastric bypass. Since I started to eat more balanced and just a little less I lost 20.24lbs. All my nutrician did was make me have breakfast again, with low fat/low calorie toppings, low fat & calorie dinners and normal sized portions.

I also started to move a little more, I walk the dog of friends of mine two or three times a week for 90 minutes at a time, that's my exercise. I already feel a lot better due to the healthier food and the extra exercise.
[Reply]
shilala 09:25 AM 10-08-2009
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
I started on a new healty diet about 3 weeks ago, as I needed to lose 37.84lbs before the surgeon would consider a gastric bypass. Since I started to eat more balanced and just a little less I lost 20.24lbs. All my nutrician did was make me have breakfast again, with low fat/low calorie toppings, low fat & calorie dinners and normal sized portions.

I also started to move a little more, I walk the dog of friends of mine two or three times a week for 90 minutes at a time, that's my exercise. I already feel a lot better due to the healthier food and the extra exercise.
That's great stuff, brother. :-)
Keep up the good work!!! :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 03:04 PM 10-08-2009
Originally Posted by forgop:
I'm going to jump into the mix...I've been a yo-yo guy since college in the mid-90's. I've tried Weight Watchers and Atkins and had success with both, but after awhile, lost interest.

I'm now 35 and was diagnosed with spinal stenosis in my lower back. I have 2 vertebrae with spurs that has compressed a disc against my lower spine which I will undergo surgery to fix that. It causes some numbness/tingling in my legs from time to time that I just attributed to being out of shape. The risk of doing nothing eventually leads to the function decreasing over time and once I lose something, it's not likely that I would ever recover from that. I'm hoping to get the surgery done with by the end of the month. As the doctor said, any additional pressure I can take off by losing my gut, the better off I'll be.

Anyway, I'm going to be doing Weight Watchers for this in addition to doing spinning classes at LA Fitness 6 times/week. I was doing the class regularly and then got out of the fold, particularly when I lost my job in July. Weight Watchers has an iPhone application that I just downloaded, so there's no excuse for me venturing off my plan.

Anyway, I'm starting on the plan tomorrow morning and will give this thing a go.

Starting weight: 238.4
Goal weight: 180
Welcome to the club!:-)
Originally Posted by shilala:
Still can't break that 190 barrier. That was only .4 pounds in five days. It's been 1.6 pounds a week for months. I really do think I've run out of fat.
I've slowly started eating a bit more, too, with my change in meds.
I'm leaving for Ohio today to hang out with Lisa for a few days, she'll make me eat.
How tall are you, Scott? 190 is healthy for a lot of people, although it's not lean either. I haven't been at 190 since 1997.
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:

Way to go, Ferdinand!:-)
[Reply]
Starscream 06:58 PM 10-08-2009
Been under 2000 calories for three days straight. Today was a low fat day as well. It feels good to get back on track again.
[Reply]
kayaker 05:45 AM 10-09-2009
I guess last week was a bit of an anomaly. Back down over 6 lbs.

Going diving tomorrow, so that should help a bit.
[Reply]
shilala 09:35 AM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:

How tall are you, Scott? 190 is healthy for a lot of people, although it's not lean either. I haven't been at 190 since 1997.
I'm 5'10" and built like a Lithuanian. Wide, thick and stupid. :-)
Last time I was 185 was when my daughter was born, I was 30. She just turned 13. I'll have to check one of those weight/height things.
[Reply]
acarr 10:17 AM 10-09-2009
I started September 16 at 230lbs
Today I am at 220lbs
Goal is 185
[Reply]
Starscream 03:36 PM 10-09-2009
I'm 5'10" and built like a Lithuanian. Wide, thick and stupid. :-)
Last time I was 185 was when my daughter was born, I was 30. She just turned 13. I'll have to check one of those weight/height things.
I know I've plugged it twice this week in here, but nutrimirror has a bmi scale at their site. You can check your height/weight/energy levels there. I'm in love with that place after three days.
Originally Posted by acarr:
I started September 16 at 230lbs
Today I am at 220lbs
Goal is 185
:-)
[Reply]
shilala 05:00 PM 10-09-2009
I know I've plugged it twice this week in here, but nutrimirror has a bmi scale at their site. You can check your height/weight/energy levels there. I'm in love with that place after three days.

:-)
It says I need to get down to 175. 129 to 175 being the optimal weight for my height.
If I weighed 129, I'd be afraid to leave the house. :-)
[Reply]
kayaker 06:28 PM 10-09-2009
It says I need to get down to 175. 129 to 175 being the optimal weight for my height.
Don't worry Scott. I'm 5' 10", and I doubt I'll ever see 200, let alone 175. My doctor figures that with my build I should be around 215-220. Never quite seem to get there though.:-)
[Reply]
forgop 06:56 PM 10-09-2009
What I don't get about Weight Watchers is that they don't make a different weight range for men and women. It's the same for both.
[Reply]
Starscream 09:03 PM 10-09-2009
Me too.:-)
Originally Posted by kayaker:
Don't worry Scott. I'm 5' 10", and I doubt I'll ever see 200, let alone 175. My doctor figures that with my build I should be around 215-220. Never quite seem to get there though.:-)
I would agree with that. Doctors know better than the internets.:-) I'll be happy if I hit 215, but my eventual target is 190. Still higher than what the internets says I need to be.
What I don't get about Weight Watchers is that they don't make a different weight range for men and women. It's the same for both.
You sure about that? Weight Watchers has a special program for men, which I assumed would have a different points scale. I know that young adults and pregnant women have a different scale than the norm.
[Reply]
Starscream 12:34 PM 10-10-2009
Polish sausage with onions and peppers, ribbon fries, and funnel cake.:-)

oops...
[Reply]
kayaker 01:01 PM 10-10-2009
I'm making chicken alfredo for supper. Maybe some shrimp for me. :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 01:02 PM 10-10-2009
Sounds good, Ian. I love both chicken alfredo and shrimp. And shrimp is low in fat and calories. I think I am skipping supper after all of the above that I posted.:-)
[Reply]
shilala 01:08 PM 10-10-2009
Polish sausage with onions and peppers, ribbon fries, and funnel cake.:-)

oops...
Yesterday I had mexican for lunch, chili and cornbread for dinner, apple dumplings for dessert. Today so far was just a pasta bowl at Applebee's and I only ate half of it.
I'm still so full from yesterday I'm still half sick and miserable.
[Reply]
Starscream 01:24 PM 10-10-2009
A big eating day will stay with you for a day or so sometimes. Hopefully I won't be hungry later.
[Reply]
forgop 03:31 PM 10-10-2009

You sure about that? Weight Watchers has a special program for men, which I assumed would have a different points scale. I know that young adults and pregnant women have a different scale than the norm.
Yep. The daily point allowances are based upon weight, regardless of whether you're a man/woman. The recommended weight is based upon height with no distinction made for men/women.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/health...thyweight.aspx

Honestly, I have no idea what the difference is in the plan for men/women.
[Reply]
Starscream 05:25 PM 10-10-2009
Yep. The daily point allowances are based upon weight, regardless of whether you're a man/woman. The recommended weight is based upon height with no distinction made for men/women.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/health...thyweight.aspx

Honestly, I have no idea what the difference is in the plan for men/women.
I did WeightWatchers a few years ago and I lost a lot of weight. I was down to 224 when my third child was born. What I don't like about WW is that they don't allow for certain things like weightlifting. You have to eat more to build muscle, but if you lift and follow WW, you're not going to bulk up at all. WW is for the average person, not for everyone. I'm just counting calories right now.

Down to 250 today. I'll probably be up tomorrow after eating all that fair food today though.
[Reply]
forgop 06:02 PM 10-10-2009
I did WeightWatchers a few years ago and I lost a lot of weight. I was down to 224 when my third child was born. What I don't like about WW is that they don't allow for certain things like weightlifting. You have to eat more to build muscle, but if you lift and follow WW, you're not going to bulk up at all. WW is for the average person, not for everyone. I'm just counting calories right now.

Down to 250 today. I'll probably be up tomorrow after eating all that fair food today though.
Not true-you get activity points for exercising and you can eat more as a result. You probably won't get big by any means, but it'll allow you to tone up and add a little muscle.
[Reply]
Page 34 of 129
« First < 24323334 35364484 > Last »
Up