Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 34 of 159
« First < 24323334 35364484134 > Last »
General Discussion>What are you reading?
Poronico 02:26 AM 09-30-2009
Originally Posted by G.Elrod:
Excellent choices, both. It was interesting to read the different perspectives of the same situations. I wish I had read these two books closer together. Maybe I should re-read them.
These are actually re-reads for me, both excellent books.
[Reply]
dogface_313 03:05 AM 09-30-2009
Originally Posted by Poronico:
Generation Kill

and

One Bullet Away, the making of a marine officer
One bullet Away is a great book. I wasn't a huge fan of generation kill.

If you haven't yet, look up "Lone Survivor"
[Reply]
Poronico 03:08 AM 09-30-2009
did you ever watch the generation kill mini series? THAT was a good show, I was mad when it ended though.

I havent looked that one up yet I will do that after I finish these again
[Reply]
jonharky 05:52 AM 09-30-2009
Am reading Dan Browns the Lost Symbol I see other people are reading too how is everyone liking it??
[Reply]
dogface_313 06:16 AM 09-30-2009
Originally Posted by Poronico:
did you ever watch the generation kill mini series? THAT was a good show, I was mad when it ended though.

I havent looked that one up yet I will do that after I finish these again
Saw the show, it was decent.

I love the line when he asks how he got cancer of the throat.

"did you smoke?"
"nope, just lucky i guess"

Lone survivor is written by Marcus Latrell a former Nacy Seal. It is the story of a seal Recon team in Afghanistan. Mr. latrell is the only survivor of the team, as the title implies. One of the other members of the team. Navy Lt. Michale Murphy is a recipient of the Medal of Honor, he was the first recipient in Operation Endruing Freedom.
[Reply]
Stig 08:24 AM 09-30-2009
I'm reading this thread.
[Reply]
TheTraveler 08:34 AM 09-30-2009
Originally Posted by Stig:
I'm reading this thread.
Put that down ... I'm not done with it yet!

:-)
[Reply]
D_A 09:12 AM 09-30-2009
Just finished The Testament by Eric Van Lustbader and picked up Deception Point by Dan Brown.
[Reply]
bookman 11:19 AM 09-30-2009
James Ellroy's Blood's a Rover! I free can love Ellroy!! I've been waiting 8 yrs for this one and it is amazing!!
[Reply]
Cigargal 11:18 AM 10-01-2009
I am 2/3 done with audio version of The Girl Who Played with Fire. All I want to do is sit and listen to the last 5 hrs but I have to do my chores first:-)

The third in this trilogy comes out today in the UK and mine is on its way across the Pond. Great books if you haven't read them. It is a shame that Steig Larsson died-these books are the best I have read this last year.

I learned last night that Stephen King has a new epic book coming out called Under the Dome. I am tempted to give it a try.
[Reply]
markem 08:25 PM 10-01-2009
I've decided to reread "Heresies of the High Middle Ages" as a prelude to trying (again) to work through the records of western civilization series (http://cup.columbia.edu/series/127) which contains some very useful translations of texts written in the middle ages.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 09:25 PM 10-01-2009
Originally Posted by markem:
I've decided to reread "Heresies of the High Middle Ages" as a prelude to trying (again) to work through the records of western civilization series (http://cup.columbia.edu/series/127) which contains some very useful translations of texts written in the middle ages.
And I thought I needed a break after a history of the Korean War and Atlas Shrugged? My hat's off to you.

Anyway, for a mindless break ... James Paterson's Swimsuit.
[Reply]
Aldebaran 03:32 AM 10-02-2009
Originally Posted by potlimit:
The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins. Re-reading actually... pretty dense.
In what way? I mean are you saying it is stupid or just it is a tough read?

I decided my next book will be Lolita or Fear and Trembling.
[Reply]
Fumes 09:58 PM 10-02-2009
Albigensian heresy? The Cathars? (I just finished listening to a lecture series called "The Era of the Crusades"; aside from what I picked up listening to this on my commute I know very little about this time period, but it's fascinating stuff.) Toward the end of the series the lecturer mentions a few things about Frederick II, who sounds like quite a character. Do you have any reading recommendations for non-scholars?
[Reply]
markem 10:25 PM 10-02-2009
Originally Posted by Fumes:
Albigensian heresy? The Cathars? (I just finished listening to a lecture series called "The Era of the Crusades"; aside from what I picked up listening to this on my commute I know very little about this time period, but it's fascinating stuff.) Toward the end of the series the lecturer mentions a few things about Frederick II, who sounds like quite a character. Do you have any reading recommendations for non-scholars?
If you want to read specifically about Cathars, then I recommend "The Yellow Cross" by Rene Weis. There is also "The Cathars" by Sean Martin. There are many "gossip" books about this period, some of which toss in the Templars and other groups in a weird mish-mash as well. For a broader view of the history of religious doctrine, I recommend Jaroslav Pelikan's "The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine", Volume 3, "The Growth of Medieval Theology (600-1300)" which is quite good. An interesting book on the modern interpretation of the middle ages is Noman Cantor's "Inventing the Middle Ages". The book "Europe in the High Middle Ages" by William Jordan is excellent.

This time period is popular with fiction writers, who seem to want to come across as historians, so one has to be quite careful. Good luck!

Note that just because I say a book is good doesn't mean that I think that it is easy to read or digest.
[Reply]
Fumes 10:26 AM 10-03-2009
An interesting book on the modern interpretation of the middle ages is Noman Cantor's "Inventing the Middle Ages". The book "Europe in the High Middle Ages" by William Jordan is excellent.

This time period is popular with fiction writers, who seem to want to come across as historians, so one has to be quite careful. Good luck!

Note that just because I say a book is good doesn't mean that I think that it is easy to read or digest.
Thanks! I am putting the Cantor book on my reserve list at the library.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 12:45 PM 10-03-2009
currently reading lots and lots of books on naturalization, immigration
[Reply]
drob 04:10 PM 10-03-2009
The Ultimate Pipe Book by Richard Carleton Hacker.
[Reply]
Powers 04:12 PM 10-03-2009
The Confederate Nation: 1861-1865 by Emory Thomas

background research for my senior thesis :-)
[Reply]
pmwz 05:09 PM 10-03-2009
Originally Posted by Cigargal:
I am 2/3 done with audio version of The Girl Who Played with Fire. All I want to do is sit and listen to the last 5 hrs but I have to do my chores first:-)

The third in this trilogy comes out today in the UK and mine is on its way across the Pond. Great books if you haven't read them. It is a shame that Steig Larsson died-these books are the best I have read this last year.
+1 my dad highly recommended it to me and i loved it. i recommended it to a couple of my friends and they loved it too.
I am probably going to see the movie of the first book next week and be disapointed afterwards.
i think about buying infinite jest (english version) but i might be a bit to hard to read for me.
[Reply]
Page 34 of 159
« First < 24323334 35364484134 > Last »
Up