Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 31 of 78
« First < 21293031 323341 > Last »
Sports>Official MMA Thread
chippewastud79 11:23 PM 08-04-2009
Originally Posted by Steelergar:
your right Brock does have an impressive resume, look at all the guys he has beaten. Anybody who doesn't fight in the UFC just plain sucks.
Not talking strictly MMA here, a full body of work. Lets see, he is a national champion, 4-time All-American (this alone is impresive even for most MMA fighters), made a few million dollars in WWE, tried out for an NFL team, and now happens to be thoroughly beating all comers thus far. Oh yeah and all this while weighing close to 280 and being a damn freak with 2% body fat and staying clean. The man is a genetic freak. I hope my kids end up like that seeing as that are so common. :-)

Are you insinuating that UFC is not the top promotion with the best fighters right now? I am not saying there aren't a few good fighters in other promotions, but I would be willing to take UFC fighters in a tournament from top to bottom of the 'popular' promotions. :-)
[Reply]
goalie204 05:25 AM 08-05-2009
farm teams vs pro teams
[Reply]
BengalMan 06:50 AM 08-05-2009
your right Brock does have an impressive resume, look at all the guys he has beaten. Anybody who doesn't fight in the UFC just plain sucks.
It seems to me that you've decided to take the exact opposite stance of others each possible opportunity on here which is fine. It stirs up conversation and any conversation regarding MMA I'm more than happy to read and/or take part in. Regardless of the stance.

In the end, a majority of people, including hardcore MMA fans are upset about Fedor not going to the biggest MMA organization. Why wouldn't you want to see him on that stage? When the question gets posted on major MMA forums all over that ask if you think Fedor should be in the UFC, the response is overwhelmingly yes.

To call Brock's resume not impressive is simply being difficult and not recognizing what he's done. Adam has already said it, but an NCAA National Champ, a major WWE superstar (say what you want, but to do the things that he did in the ring, athletes like that don't "grow on trees" as you say). Then to walk off the street and get invited for NFL try outs, yup, no easy task. Then to come into the UFC off the street and immediately fight the best of the best and in the matter a few fights, completely dominate some of the best in the world and become champ, that's damn impressive. All this while cutting from around 290lbs to 265 and being one of, if not the fastest and strongest HW in all of MMA.But guys like him grow on tree's. Right. Please show me where this magic tree is because maybe if I eat the apples off it, it'll get me the physique, speed and strength of Brock and Shane Carwin.

No one is denying what Fedor has accomplished. I don't think anyone will accomplish the wins that he has strung together. I will say this though, with Scott Coker saying they're going to "build up to Fedor vs. Overeem", one of the only worthwhile fights over there is foolish. If Fedor would have signed in the UFC, he would have been fighting for the title, against the best the UFC has to offer from the get go. No warm ups, no "building up", just proving on the biggest stage your still the best and no one is going to take that from you. Who wouldn't rather see that?

If you heard what Tito said when he was asked why he came back to the UFC, it was simple. The competition. Tito wanted to fight the best there is to offer on the biggest stage. Why wouldn't the #1 HW fighter in the world want to go where 5 of the top 7 HW fighters in the world are and fight the best? Sure he's beat Nog twice. Take him out of the equation, there are still a ton of great fights for Fedor there.

In the end it's just sad for an MMA fan to see someone with Fedor's talent go to a second rate organization and fight 2nd tier ranked talent. If you want to be the best, beat the best. He's done that thus far. Now he has to continue to fight the best to maintain being the best. Plain and simple. In Strikeforce, he's not doing that, and no one can argue otherwise.
[Reply]
goalie204 07:19 AM 08-05-2009
How long till strikforce folds like the rest of them? I'm saying before March 2010.
[Reply]
Steelergar 02:33 PM 08-05-2009
Originally Posted by goalie204:
How long till strikforce folds like the rest of them? I'm saying before March 2010.
I don't know why you guys hate on non UFC promotions. It seems to be a common thing among Dana White drones though. America is the new kid on the block for mma fights. Japan and Brazil have been doing this for a long time you could say the early 1900s. You guys talk like UFC is so great than how come the Gracie who created the UFC don't send the new generation there? As a matter top level BJJ guys don't even fight there they go to Japan where the fans are more knowledgeable and don't boo when the fight goes to the ground. Damien Mia is probably the only top level guy they have. Also you guys seem to forget that the Fertittas were going to sell the UFC just 5 years ago before they decided to try a reality TV show that became popular and saved them from disaster back when PRIDE was top dog. And what is the Ultimate Fighter? Cheap talent with face recognition that sells shows.
[Reply]
Steelergar 02:47 PM 08-05-2009
They conned you guys into beleiving Bisbing, Thales Leittes, Rashad Evans, and Forest Griffin are the best contenders out there. And when you see those guys fight against actual fighters they look confused and lost. UFC has a Mcdonalds aproach to MMA. Although they did pick up alot of the PRIDE contracts but I doubt they had much of a choice. I'll watch any MMA promotion no matter where its at if there are good fights on the card. I believe that copromotion is the key to putting the best against the best. UFC claims to be the NFL of mma. That disgraces the NFL with a comment like that. MMA is more like soccer where their is greatness all around the world and they have a world cup to see whos the best. Thats what MMA needs. Also just because my opinion is different from yours it doesn't mean I am deliberately going against you. To the post 2 above STRIKFORCE has been around for 25 years and Scott Coker is a respectable guy in the fighter community.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:19 PM 08-05-2009
Originally Posted by goalie204:
They won't. They run a very successful and profitable promotion for many years now. Coker is a great business man that knows what he is doing.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:08 PM 08-05-2009
I don't know why you guys hate on non UFC promotions.
:-) Sengoku, Dream and K-1 in Japan goes all out and always has very good fighters and all the shows are good. All of them. You can't say that for UFC. They seem to have alot of mediocre shows.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 06:47 PM 08-05-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
:-) Sengoku, Dream and K-1 in Japan goes all out and always has very good fighters and all the shows are good. All of them. You can't say that for UFC. They seem to have alot of mediocre shows.
Yeah, and let's not forget where great fighters like Rampage got their start--Japan. MMA is a sport with worldwide interest. I really do value the UFC though because they do great things like free televised fight nights.
[Reply]
BengalMan 09:42 PM 08-05-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I agree. I think the UFC is doing too many shows. I'd much rather see 8-10 numbered UFC PPV cards a year, and maybe 3-5 Fight Nights a year on Spike. This way cards are more stacked.

On another note, wtf is up with Ricardo Arona? Ever since that brutal KO by Soko, he hasn't fought once.
[Reply]
Steelergar 10:19 PM 08-05-2009
Originally Posted by BengalMan:

On another note, wtf is up with Ricardo Arona? Ever since that brutal KO by Soko, he hasn't fought once.
The only info I can find is that he claims to have suffered from dengue fever in that KO loss. He was suppose to fight Marvin Eastman a while back but Eastman got injured and the fight was postponed until Sep 12th at Bettiti Combat in Brazil. Vitor Belfort was suppose to fight there until UFC signed him. I do wonder what Arona's contract was with PRIDE when it went under. It might of just expired recently, which is why he hasn't been fighting. Plus brazilian top team took a tumble as well.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 12:14 PM 08-06-2009
Anyone here bet on MMA? The odds are pretty big on this weekend's bouts. I'm 98% positive BJ Penn is going to smash Florian...I just hate risking money.
[Reply]
goalie204 01:05 PM 08-06-2009
I've bet cigars with some folks, but don't bet money. I would bet on florian tho, i like this particular underdog
[Reply]
BengalMan 01:12 PM 08-06-2009
At +300, I'm taking Forrest. His size and strength are superior to Anderson and the guy has some serious heart. Anderson is a true beast, but I think if someone has a good shot to beat him, it's Forrest.

Not to say I would be surprised if Anderson smashed him because he is an unreal fighter, but at +300, Forrest is a great bet in my eyes.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 01:19 PM 08-06-2009
At +300, I'm taking Forrest. His size and strength are superior to Anderson and the guy has some serious heart. Anderson is a true beast, but I think if someone has a good shot to beat him, it's Forrest.

Not to say I would be surprised if Anderson smashed him because he is an unreal fighter, but at +300, Forrest is a great bet in my eyes.
Thanks, just needed someone else to give me a push...LOL
[Reply]
BengalMan 04:29 PM 08-06-2009
Well, as I previously stated Forrest has the strength and size advantage against Silva. Now I'm questioning that statement, lol. Regardless, my money is still on Forrest.

[Reply]
goalie204 05:10 PM 08-06-2009
Should we believe anything B.J. Penn has to say?

By Maggie Hendricks

B.J. Penn dropped a bombshell in an interview with Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole. A baseless, unsubstantiated bombshell, but nonetheless, a bombshell.

“It’s just my opinion that (Georges St. Pierre) uses steroids,” Penn said. “That’s it. My opinion. I do believe it. I can’t hand you any proof, but that’s my opinion.”

lol @ BJ. What a d-bag. Hope kenny destroys him.

story http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cag...urn=mma,181251
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:05 PM 08-06-2009

Hard not to take those odds but I don't think Forrest can take the Spider. I also think Florian is very, very good and will take BJ. I am a Penn fan but Florian impresses me more and more everytime he fights. His elbows are killer!

One thing I don't like about BJ is that when he loses, he makes alot of excuses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fedor conference call about the Strikeforce deal.

http://chicago.fighthype.com/2009/08...deal-than-ufc/

Highlights:

"The UFC did not give us any chance to develop. The UFC wants me to be the fighter of the UFC. They do not offer us anything else. Dana White stated that M-1 rejected a huge amount of money and decided to fight for cheap money. That's not the truth. Nothing special was offered to M-1. And when we made a deal with Strikeforce and when we united with Strikeforce, we got the opportunity to broadcast all fights on the first channel in Russia, in the leading channel in Korea and in Japan, and in many other countries. But UFC won't give us these opportunities. If Strikeforce was able to offer a better deal than the UFC, why should we go to the UFC? I'm happy we have found a great partner. I'm very happy to fight again. I don't know the name of the opponent yet. I know for sure that the fight will take place in fall. I will be happy to meet any opponent, which will be offered by the organizers."

"I would like to say that I have full control of all the contracts and my career as well. I get all financial reports. All important issues are being discussed with me. Everything I don't like, Vadim tries to send for. I need to tell you I have complete control of what's going on."

"From my viewpoint, the UFC does not have the proper attitude towards fighters. They do not consider fighters normal people – human beings. I think the attitude for UFC fighters is not the correct one. The offer seems to be one kind and on the Internet, they published different numbers. The offer we got from them was neither of those. I don't pay attention to different discussions. There are a lot of people who take the side of the UFC. A lot of people take side of M-1 as well. I think that if the numbers which are published on the Internet were real numbers, we would have signed the contract with the UFC."

In response to allegations that Dana White called Strikeforce “Strikfarce,” and that no one watched Strikeforce, that they had no money and no one to fight Fedor, Scott laughed. “My response to that is of course he’s going to say that. He’s a promoter. We’ve been in business a long time, and I think we know how to operate a business with Ken (Hirschman) and Showtime. I feel confident we are going to have some great big shows. Under the current circumstances, is anyone surprised? I don’t think so.”

In conclusion, Fedor addressed the disappointment expressed by fans with the cancellation of the Brock Lesnar fight. “I really feel very sorry for that fight which could not happen. I feel very sorry for my fans, but I think that I also deserve some respect. That my personal interests are taken into consideration.”

I, for one, don't fault Fedor at all for wanting full control of his fighting future and having his own business (M-1) grow at the same time. He has earned the right to do just that, imo. And Dana always makes an ass out of himself when he doesn't get his way. Always throwing folks under the bus and cussing like a sailor. He has always struck me as one of those "I'll take my ball and go home" kinda guys. Waaahhhhhhh!
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:15 PM 08-06-2009
Don't forget about WEC 42 on Sunday either! It's pretty much a one fight show but Torres wicked good. I love to see him fight.

[Reply]
Steelergar 09:35 PM 08-06-2009
I'm thinking Anderson Silva might come out aggresive and look for a KO to shut up the booing hecklers. I'm looking forward to seeing that fight and the ricardo almeida fight.

The last time I bet on a fight I put money on Ronald Souza a heavy favorite against Mousassi for the DREAM middleweight tournament finals and Mousassi KO"d Souza with a heel kick from his back. That happens like once every 4 or 5 years in mma.
[Reply]
Page 31 of 78
« First < 21293031 323341 > Last »
Up