Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 31 of 350
« First < 21293031 32334181131 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
BigFrank 04:04 PM 12-11-2008
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
my problem is I don't go to the gym more than 2-3x a week so when I go I feel that I have to do all upper body and assume jogging will help the lower body.
I currently follow a program that has a shortened 3 day a week version. Its a little more geared towards powerlifting, but i am sure with a little tweaking it can be set up for general lifting. Let me know if ya want some details.
BigFrank 04:08 PM 12-11-2008
Assistance work day.
I was only working out 3 days a week, but I felt like a total bum. So I bumped to 4 days a week. Thursday are more or less a borderline bullshit day. nothing superheavy mainly assistance work for bench. I do not bother to write down numbers or reps. Just kinda hit some weights, do a little HIT cardio then out of the gym. 45 minutes tops usually.

Standing Military Presses
DB laterals superset with hang cleans
HS shrugs super set with blackouts/skull crushers
kaz presses done with dumbbells
pull ups
hammer curls
suicide sprints

on a side note, I forgot to do neck work LOL.
icehog3 04:58 PM 12-11-2008
Originally Posted by BigFrank:

on a side note, I forgot to do neck work LOL.
Don't forget next time, Frank....don't wanna get turkey neck! :-) :-)
BigFrank 05:47 PM 12-11-2008
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Don't forget next time, Frank....don't wanna get turkey neck! :-) :-)
I think it would take a lot more than that to get a small neck.:-)

Gotta get fitted for a suit for my brothers wedding. its my goal to make it a total pain in his ass getting it tailored hahaha.
Mugen910 05:52 PM 12-11-2008
I currently follow a program that has a shortened 3 day a week version. Its a little more geared towards powerlifting, but i am sure with a little tweaking it can be set up for general lifting. Let me know if ya want some details.
I wouldn't mind taking a look at it....I am mostly trying to loss weight I never had a problem picking up size but looking lean has almost been impossible. Thanks big frank.

Did upper body at home..light weights but till failure.
icehog3 10:55 PM 12-11-2008
I think it would take a lot more than that to get a small neck.:-)

Gotta get fitted for a suit for my brothers wedding. its my goal to make it a total pain in his ass getting it tailored hahaha.
When I got married, the Men's Warehouse had to cut one of their tuxedo coats to fit me....all at no extra charge. It was pretty cool. :-)
BigFrank 05:02 PM 12-12-2008
Originally Posted by icehog3:
When I got married, the Men's Warehouse had to cut one of their tuxedo coats to fit me....all at no extra charge. It was pretty cool. :-)
I think the tuxes are going to be from a pricey place ( not MW ) I think its funny because her faimly is covering most of the wedding, rich peoples lol!

ps open bar there and yes im getting tanked.
BigFrank 05:06 PM 12-12-2008
Friday Squat and Bomb Out Day
Squats
475x3 475x3 475x5(pr) ( went for a 6th rep, and hit the bottom and had nothing, crash bang boom power rack to the rescue hahahaha )
At this point I became enraged. after a 5 min swear fest, I pull my knee wraps so tight my feet were almost numb and racked 500, stood out and had nothing out of the bottom again) I quitted then.
Lunges
135x10x3
Good Mornings
135x10x3
Abs
100 crunches
Grip Strength Training

Shitty day at the gym.hit my 3RM PR, but wanted more. Got really upset. Story of my life.
Chris. 07:00 AM 12-13-2008
what do you do for grip strength? I find my hands cramping up a lot when using heavier dumb bells and seated rows etc..usually towards the end of my workout though.
Genetic Defect 07:29 AM 12-13-2008
Chris for grip look into Captains of Crush :-) never heard a bad thing about them.
BigFrank 01:50 PM 12-13-2008
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
Chris for grip look into Captains of Crush :-) never heard a bad thing about them.
That is what I use.
Here is the website http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...nsofcrush.html

Here is where I purchased mine from.
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...lt.asp?cid=223

Here is the rating breakdown.
Guide @ 60 lb.
Sport @ 80 lb.
Trainer @ 100 lb.
No. 1 @ 140 lb.
No. 1.5
No. 2 @ 195 lb.
No. 2.5
No. 3 @ 280 lb.
No. 3.5
No. 4 @ 365 lb.

I currently train with the No.1. My grip training usually consists of 3 sets of 10 squeezes per hand. Also training without lifting straps will increase hand strength.
Mugen910 02:25 PM 12-13-2008
Originally Posted by Chris.:
what do you do for grip strength? I find my hands cramping up a lot when using heavier dumb bells and seated rows etc..usually towards the end of my workout though.
I remember reading some time back that if you do pullups..try to incorporate regular towels. Throw them over the bar and use those to pull up onto. Your forearms will burn but the strength can pick up very fast.
zemekone 02:30 PM 12-13-2008
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
I remember reading some time back that if you do pullups..try to incorporate regular towels. Throw them over the bar and use those to pull up onto. Your forearms will burn but the strength can pick up very fast.
I use to do that! One caution: it kills your forearms so much it may mess up the rest of your back/bis/pull day...
BigFrank 05:56 PM 12-13-2008
Originally Posted by zemekone:
I use to do that! One caution: it kills your forearms so much it may mess up the rest of your back/bis/pull day...
That's why I deadlift first hahaha!
zemekone 06:13 PM 12-13-2008
Slow as helll at work...

Gonna do cardio, traps, and calves after work...
Chris. 08:17 PM 12-13-2008
yea I was thinking about buying the No.1 captains of crush thing. I know I probably wont be able to squeeze it in all the way but it would give me something to work up to instead of buying one I know I could squeeze all the way and having to buy a whole other set of them down the road. Thanks for the info on that guys!

Do any of you do shrugs? Do you use dumb bells for it or what? How about neck strengthening exercises?
Genetic Defect 08:21 PM 12-13-2008
When I do shrugs it was on a machine used to use barbells though
BigFrank 08:57 PM 12-13-2008
yea I was thinking about buying the No.1 captains of crush thing. I know I probably wont be able to squeeze it in all the way but it would give me something to work up to instead of buying one I know I could squeeze all the way and having to buy a whole other set of them down the road. Thanks for the info on that guys!

Do any of you do shrugs? Do you use dumb bells for it or what? How about neck strengthening exercises?
I would buy the lower ones opposed to one you may not be able to close. Use one you can close for reps, then when you are ready for the next just buy it. I initially purchased the no.2 figuring my hand strength was great. I was dead wrong. I ended up buying the sport. Once I was closing it 20+ times I picked up the trainer, than same 20 reps got the no.1.

I am forced to do barbell shrugs because my gym's dumbbells go up only to 125. My trap training is on and off. There are a lot of other exercises for building a huge pair of traps. I have been doing a variation of the Hang Cleans which are a hybrid lift, and have noticed a big difference.
Here is a good article.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/the_yoke.htm

I just starting doing neck work again. I picked up a neck harness awhile back.
BigFrank 09:02 PM 12-13-2008
Here is the hang clean.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...HangClean.html
I only do 2 parts of this exercise. I dont put it on my chest. Its more like an upright row. But I use heavier weight and use my body to get a little english on it.
DavenportESQ 10:35 PM 12-13-2008
When it comes to grip strength check out www.sorinex.com

They are a local company here in Columbia SC they make the best equipment I have ever used. Its a small family company. The man who started the Company's name is Richard. He is the first person to close the 3 gripper (20 years ago with all the certification b.s) The most recent (2008) and the Oldest (mid 50's) they have a good online forum too that talks a lot about training especially grip work.

For Grip work I like the actual grip weights called "the blob"

sorinexforums.com
Page 31 of 350
« First < 21293031 32334181131 > Last »
Up