Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 30 of 60
« First < 20282930 313240 > Last »
Sports>Being a Hockey Parent
Ahbroody 12:23 AM 10-26-2011
Better hope the bladders don't blow. Used to happen a fair amount.on certain models a few years back. The Reeboks are allegedly built off the old Tacks platform so it makes sense they would fit. I thought the boot internal padding etc is different now to accomodate the pump. Problem is on lower models without the pump the boot fit can be sloppy as its the same build just no bladders and you know they aren't spending a lot of effort on low end boots. Don't have them anymore, but had an old pair of pump tacks back in the day. So it makes sense its the same boot concept. Atleast that was the story two years ago. The pumps cute it fits you. :-)
[Reply]
Ahbroody 03:30 PM 10-28-2011
My silent protest against Micah getting jacked on his 3 number choices.
Being the youngest kid on the team and playing up apparently means you are last in line for many things. He wears 8 for inhouse and his roller team so that's my excuse.

Fuc& um if they cant take a joke.
[Reply]
E.J. 05:49 PM 10-28-2011
Love it, Mike!

LM is currently @ tryouts for the Utah HS Select team... I think he is in over his head, but love the confidence and ambition.... It's ice time.....
[Reply]
E.J. 01:47 PM 10-29-2011
Solid second outing for the Little One.... Another Hat Trick against the goalie, not sure how many goals on the small nets... Good times!

Mini-breakaway, she did not score...

She needs to learn to share the face off circle....

Goal!

Goal! I can't really remember what happened here or why the goalie was out that far, the net is out of the picture to the right....

[Reply]
E.J. 01:48 PM 10-29-2011
[Reply]
E.J. 09:34 AM 10-30-2011
A few from the game Wednesday night....which was the regular season opener. 7-1 win for the good guys.

[Reply]
Ahbroody 06:55 PM 10-31-2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KEG...e_gdata_player
Thought there were some great points in here on development. I know Al has told me to always be careful about not pushing and always making sure its fun. Had a discussion a week or so with Micahs new head coach who played D1 College. The new coach thing is a long story which I am not happy about. The club has switched coaches and apparently he is going to change up a lot of the system they have been developing. He had largely the same view. We had a long discussion about how some early bloomers who burn out and some don't and what he thought the cause was. Also discussed players who blossom late.

I noticed in the video what struck me was not skating the child too much, as much as making sure the child is always having fun when skating and not pushing the child so that the child develops that love of the game. As Micah is skating a lot I always ask him now if he wants to go to hockey. So far he has not said no, but I keep waiting for him to say yes. In talking with the new coach we discussed Micah playing up this year. He was generally not in favor of kids playing up. His view was children need to dominate to build confidence. My view was more of knowing what works for your particular child. Micah had a lot of success last year and is having a lot of success this year. He is very confident as a result which is something I am constantly trying to keep in check. I guess in this situation given his ego and success I don't understand having play down. I think it would give him a huge fat head. I think going forward this point will be a non factor. Nor Cal Hockey which governs all travel teams in the area has banned any child from playing out of age group after Mites. This is the only year Micah will be able to play up.
[Reply]
Eleven 09:11 PM 11-02-2011
Hey everyone, wish my kid luck, we head out in the morning for The Bauer International Invite Tournament in Chicago.

Without a doubt we'll see some kids there who will one day be NHL'ers, my kid included! We got to see a few teams at the Warrior Invitational in Detroit a couple weeks ago that were amazing, and I'm sure some of them and more will be in Chicago. There are plenty of Canadian and even Russian teams on the schedule this year.

His team played 2 years ago (silly paperwork error kept us out last year) and it was a blast. The talent these boys display is unreal.

So, cross your fingers, and I'll report back Sunday night or Monday when we get back.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 09:18 PM 11-02-2011
Friggin awesome Scott. Tell him I said givem hell.

Hope one day Micah gets the chance.
[Reply]
Eleven 09:54 PM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Friggin awesome Scott. Tell him I said givem hell.

Hope one day Micah gets the chance.
Check the teams, San Jose Jr. Sharks are there! (at least in the 1998 birth year), they have teams from '03 to '97 and U16s there. A TON of teams there. 64 different teams just in my kids birth year.
[Reply]
E.J. 08:04 AM 11-03-2011
Good luck, Scott! Sending good ju ju your boys way!

I see the Utah Regulators(U16) are there....I will be interested to see how they do as well.
[Reply]
E.J. 07:31 PM 11-04-2011

EJ I noticed those pants were huge. I was going to ask if they were JR pants and not youth because them look big. How is the tailbone protection on those?
After 10 days/2weeks, couldn't take it anymore and bought smaller pants....

Tailbone protection on these look = the LM's S19's....
[Reply]
Ahbroody 09:47 AM 11-05-2011
Some kids rock big pants out here. Always notice it. Seems to me it would slow you down a little. Micah has been growing and could likely change from a youth M to youth L, but he says his pants feel good and are not to tight.
[Reply]
E.J. 03:08 PM 11-05-2011
Well, the Little One was shut out today and her team tied. It was good to see them face better competition, but I could tell Ab's was frustrated with her play. She had a nice backhand(shown in pic 3) that was just stopped, but a nice shot anyway.

She played solid and had fun, that is what counts.

We head to the Little Man's game later this evening.... Think I am running the penalty box, so probably will not get to take pictures....
[Reply]
Eleven 06:31 AM 11-07-2011
The Nike Bauer tournament was a blast this year, our boys did well, made it past pool play but fell in the "Sweet Sixteen". Me and the wife went out of our way to meet and chat with other parents, and everyone was great. Our boys finished in 12th place in the AAA division.

Spent a ton of money on new equipment and deep dish pizza, Chicago is an awesome place. The wife even dragged me into Tiffany's and we looked at some ridiculously overpriced jewelry.

Such a huge tournament! The coaches reception was awesome, only our head coach showed up early enough to make it, so he invited me to tag along with him. The assistant coaches missed out on a great time. Free beer, free food and this:

[Reply]
E.J. 06:57 AM 11-07-2011
^^^ That is win all day long. Congrats on the finish, happy to hear they played well & everyone had a good time!
[Reply]
Ahbroody 12:41 PM 11-07-2011
Hellllllo ladies.
Glad you had an awesome time at the tourney Scott.

EJ how did your son do at state high school select tryout?

Micah had 4 goals in his game yesterday. Scored a few times on a squirt goalie. They were scramble goals infront of him, but what ever he scored on a squirt goalie.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 01:17 PM 11-07-2011
Just looked at stats. I see the 02 Sharp shooters won the AAA division. That club is based out of the bayarea, but its a phantom club. They exist outside the NorCal Hockey governing board. They only have 1 or 2 teams. A year or so back this 02 club went down to LA and smoked all the SoCal teams. From what I understand its a team composed of all the best players from a few clubs in the area. I think they cheated playing AAA instead of AAA Elite from what I know of them.

98 Jr. Sharks went 2-1? Not sure what that meant.

All and all Nor Cal showed decent.
[Reply]
Eleven 02:34 PM 11-07-2011
98 Jr. Sharks went 2-1? Not sure what that meant.
The website is weird, one page only shows Pool Play stats, and another only shows Playoff Stats. I bet that 2-1 stat is Pool Play. I talked to one of the SJ Jr Sharks dads yesterday, he was pretty cool. But since he was standing with me in Total Hockey, I'm assuming they got eliminated Saturday night in the Sweet Sixteen, just like my kids team did.

If you happen to have made it out of the Sweet Sixteen, then you would have 3 games with very little downtime on Sunday to keep going. They would not have had time to hit up a hockey store between games.

They had 8 pools with 4 teams each, and the top 2 teams from each pool moved on into the Sweet Sixteen. The bottom 2 teams from each pool played other bottom 2 teams in consolation games.

Here are some more pics from the weekend. I do have some hockey action pics, but only from one game and I don't know how well they came out. I'll check those later.

More eye-candy from the Opening Ceremony Reception:

Our favorite Pizza in Chicago, from Giordano's:

More Giordano's Goodness:

And finally my kid chilling at Gino's East of Chicago waiting on yet another Deep Dish Pizza to arrive:

[Reply]
E.J. 08:44 PM 11-09-2011
Great pics!!!!

IW is killing my pocketbook.... 2 pants, 2 sticks in a week... That said, I've saved a chitload of money because of them....
[Reply]
Page 30 of 60
« First < 20282930 313240 > Last »
Up