Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>Your first cigar
acarr 01:28 PM 02-04-2009
I can't remember any specifics but it had to be in high school swisher sweet:-)
[Reply]
BarneyBandMan 01:36 PM 02-04-2009
1st premium cigar was an NC Cohiba Robusto at Corona Cigar Company in Orlando in the company of SmokeyJoe.

slippery, slippery :-)
[Reply]
jaymz 06:45 PM 02-04-2009
I believe my first cigar was at my cousins wedding in England, but can't be 100% positive. When I was around 18/19, we used to hit the clubs in Windsor a lot. I'd grab a couple cubans to smoke at home. Also I used to buy the tins, like Punch Bolos infrequently, especially when up north fishing.
[Reply]
BroncoHorvath 07:07 PM 02-04-2009
My first cigar was when I was visiting my sister and her ex when my first nephew was born in 1996. It was either a CC Punch Punch or a CC Monte #4, and we smoked them on the beach (Torry Pines) watching the sunset. Then, my next trip to Cuba, I bought 2 boxes of each. My first nc's I tried were AF, Avo, LGC's and Onex Reserves. Now my humidors and cabinet have 70% of CC's and 30% of NC's.... In those days when I started smoking I smoked maybe 3 boxes a year, now I smoke 2-3 boxes a month:-)
[Reply]
Cigarcop 07:15 PM 02-04-2009
Originally Posted by BroncoHorvath:
In those days when I started smoking I smoked maybe 3 boxes a year, now I smoke 2-3 boxes a month:-)

Yeah but now their Te-Amos :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
BroncoHorvath 07:20 PM 02-04-2009
Originally Posted by Cigarcop:
Yeah but now their Te-Amos :-) :-) :-)
You're a funny guy:-)
[Reply]
M1903A1 08:03 PM 02-04-2009
First cigar was a Thompson's Fidalo Nero (?) that a friend had been pushing on me for years before I finally gave in. I didn't know what to expect, but much to my surprise I enjoyed it.

First CC was a Hoyo du somethingorother at the first herf I ever went to. (Thanks mmblz!)

First box I ever bought was a dress box of Parti Shorts.
[Reply]
alfbacca 12:48 PM 02-05-2009
About 5 years ago, my friend and I walked into a B&M and walked out with 2 Macanudo Portofinos. We thought they looked cool because they came in a tube. At the time I definitely enjoyed mine, but years later I tried another and I couldn't smoke it after half an inch.
[Reply]
bonjing 03:08 PM 02-05-2009
Cohiba ,the one with the red dot, Toro
[Reply]
Tuxguy 04:16 PM 02-05-2009
Mine was a Drew Estate Ambrosia (Mother Earth)on my 26th birthday given to me by my wifes cousin. I was hooked and had to try all the Drew Estate lines. Man, my tastes have changed.
[Reply]
ronhoffman2 05:34 PM 02-05-2009
in the summer of '94, at the rip ol' age of 19, while on summer vacation in Ocean City, MD, my uncle offered me one of his Thompson house brand robustos (they actually weren't bad back then). Standing on the deck, overlooking the ocean, I immediately was hooked and spent the rest of that week visiting the local cigar shops starting my first cigar collection.
[Reply]
cigar coach 05:47 PM 02-05-2009
'96 my dad bought me a Romeo y Juliet when I graduated college (for the first time-still don't know what I want to do when I grow up) I thought it was just ok. About 2 years ago I picked up a box of Hoyo's and havn'g looked back! :-)
[Reply]
Legend 07:08 PM 02-05-2009
Interesting story. I was in England studying for my doctrate at Oxford. I was at a friend of mine's house which happened to be C S lewis's house formerly. He didn't own it just stayed in a portion of it. We decided to go down to the pub for a pint. Anyway while I'm sitting there enjoying a brew I see prince Charles walk in. This is back when he and Di had just recently separated. I figure what the hell. I go up and ask him how he's getting on. Anyway we shoot the breeze for a while and he breaks out a couple of Gurkha his majesties reserves. You know the 750 dollar things. I can't say no to that. Anyway. I'm hooked. True story except I was here in the states and my friend Josh have me a Gurkha grand reserve. The rest of it is crap. :-)
[Reply]
Hot Stuff x 07:15 PM 02-05-2009
Used to sneak around as a teen and would occaisionally smoke a swisher sweets or middleton's cherry blend cigar. Didn't particularly enjoy it though. Hell, I recall I could just walk into a store at 14 years old and openly buy them (in the late 70's).

When I was in around 30, a friend of mine was sharing White Owl "it's a girl!" cigars to celebrate the birth of his daughter. I tried it to be sociable, but only got about 1/2 way through the churchill sized dog-rocket. Yecch.

Fast forward about 15 years, and I have several friends who enjoy cigars. One of my friends is 1/2 French, 1/2 Cuban, and is a retired executive chef, trained in France. Was at his home for an excellent dinner one night with a few friends, and after dinner we retired to the patio for cigars and cognac. At first I declined the cigar offer, and related to them my White Owl experience. They assured me that there is a world of difference between a White Owl and a quality handmade cigar, so I tried one and enjoyed it. It was a CFO churchill (from Cigar Factory Outlet), which my friend tells me are made by Oliva. Don't know if that part is true, but the cigar was pretty good.

I started smoking 2-3 cigars a month, just when gathered with friends, and would go to a B&M and buy 1/2 dozen or so at a time so I could share and wasn't just mooching.

After I found a few cigars I really enjoyed a lot, I started buying them regularly and smoking them more often. I still don't smoke much compared to some people (2-3 cigars a week), I have started collecting cigars and have over 500 in my collection, which is continuing to grow. I am a mild-medium smoker, as the stronger blends make me a little light headed--but I'm stocking some full-bodied smokes in my humidors to let them age, and expecting that I will enjoy the stronger sticks once I can handle the hit.
[Reply]
Finland 07:18 PM 02-05-2009
my first cigar was an Arturo Fuerte Reserva and it all went downhill from there
[Reply]
cricket 08:12 PM 02-05-2009
First one that I can remember was an Olivia G with a really good buddy of mine...he really got me started on this, and I thank him for it. What a great hobby.
[Reply]
big a 09:27 PM 02-05-2009
Thanks everyone for the good stories and keep them coming!! :-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up