Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cello on or off? BUT this is Cutting the stick
SmokeyJoe 01:21 PM 01-20-2009
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
For better cutting, did you even read the first post? :-)
Ummm... OP doesn't say anything about better cutting - just that he likes it.

Now - the second post says it is better. I will have to experiment... :-)
[Reply]
jwintosh 01:25 PM 01-20-2009
Originally Posted by Parshooter:
I would think this would dull the blade(s) quicker. Having to cut through cello and cigar, instead of just cigar.
yep!!
[Reply]
Cigarcop 01:29 PM 01-20-2009
Honestly I don't know how you can really see the cap with the cello on to cut it where you'd like. Just smoke the freeking cigars this isn't rocket science :-)
[Reply]
Killjoy 03:36 PM 01-20-2009
I am gonna try this tonight and see what the hubbub is anyway...probably gonna end up cutting myself.
[Reply]
GhostRyder 04:53 PM 01-20-2009
Never even considered cutting with the cigar still in the cello. I'll have to try it sometime when it isn't cold as R%$#$^$ %@$^R@$^R%# @%#^R ^# outside.
[Reply]
Silound 05:48 PM 01-20-2009
I don't, like several people have said, it's hard on the blades of your cutter.

Lot of people do that at the shop and we have to replace the cutter once every couple months (Davidoff cutters last the longest).
[Reply]
CBI_2 07:45 PM 01-20-2009
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
You would think the cello, being oil derived, may also actually do some lubricating of the blade. It's worth a shot.
It isn't derived from oil.

Cellulose fibers from wood, cotton, hemp, or other sources are dissolved in alkali and carbon disulphide to make a solution called viscose, which is then extruded through a slit into a bath of dilute sulfuric acid and sodium sulfate to reconvert the viscose into cellulose. The film is then passed through several more baths, one to remove sulfur, one to bleach the film, and one to add glycerin to prevent the film from becoming brittle.
A similar process, using a hole (a spinneret) instead of a slit, is used to make a fibre called rayon. Chemically, cellophane, rayon and cellulose are polymers of glucose and contain the chemical elements carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen.

And unless it goes through a waterproofing process it is not air tight.
[Reply]
acruce 08:51 PM 01-20-2009
Originally Posted by Hardcz:
So how do you cut cigars in the aluminum tubes? Wouldn't that ruin your cutter?
Hack saw:-):
[Reply]
feznuk 09:22 PM 01-20-2009
Originally Posted by CBI_2:
Cellulose fibers from wood, cotton, hemp, or other sources are dissolved in alkali and carbon disulphide to make a solution called viscose, which is then extruded through a slit into a bath of dilute sulfuric acid and sodium sulfate to reconvert the viscose into cellulose. The film is then passed through several more baths, one to remove sulfur, one to bleach the film, and one to add glycerin to prevent the film from becoming brittle.
A similar process, using a hole (a spinneret) instead of a slit, is used to make a fibre called rayon. Chemically, cellophane, rayon and cellulose are polymers of glucose and contain the chemical elements carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen.

:-) We're still talking about that clear stuff my cigars come wrapped in right.
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:26 PM 01-20-2009
Originally Posted by feznuk:
Yeah, he lost me at cellulose fibers....
[Reply]
brigey57 09:32 PM 01-20-2009
Originally Posted by HK3-:
I'm a no cello chop-chop. :-)

Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
:-) Don't know if I can do it... seems all wrong somehow. :-)

Guess I just enjoy the removal process... :-)

"I intend to smoke a good cigar to the glory of God..."
~ Charles H. Spurgeon, British Baptist preacher
I have a number of sticks where I have removed the cello, and I don't think I place them back in to cut the stick.

I'm with SmokeyJoe and HK3, I just prefer the removal process, smell the smoke, clip right near the end, and fire it up.
:-)

[Reply]
groogs 09:39 PM 01-20-2009
I cut my cigars with the cello on when I am going to school and I don't want to carry my cutter, but I want the extra protection for my smoke. I have been doing it for a year or more, and it works great.
[Reply]
CBI_2 09:48 PM 01-20-2009
Originally Posted by feznuk:
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
Yeah, he lost me at cellulose fibers....
:-) All that boiled down means is: it is a plant based biodegradable, porous material.
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:56 PM 01-20-2009
:-) All that boiled down means is: it is a plant based biodegradable, porous material.
Thank you. :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 10:27 PM 01-20-2009
Originally Posted by brigey57:
I have a number of sticks where I have removed the cello, and I don't think I place them back in to cut the stick.

I'm with SmokeyJoe and HK3, I just prefer the removal process, smell the smoke, clip right near the end, and fire it up.
:-)

rizzle 09:12 AM 01-21-2009

What you talkin bout Willis?

[Reply]
Stogieboy 10:03 AM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by groogs:
I cut my cigars with the cello on when I am going to school and I don't want to carry my cutter, but I want the extra protection for my smoke. I have been doing it for a year or more, and it works great.
This is the only reason I have heard to far that makes any sense.
Cut it and smoke it, seems pretty simple to me.
[Reply]
TOB9595 03:44 PM 01-21-2009
Anyone new to trying this?
I've cut three today and marveled at how easy it is to cut a thin piece off the cap and it slides out of the cello sooooo good.
Tom
[Reply]
GWags 03:52 PM 01-21-2009

My life is now complete ...........:-)
[Reply]
CBI_2 05:08 PM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by GWags:
My life is now complete ...........:-)
:-) Glad I could be of service. :-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up