Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
General Discussion>You could have heard a pin drop.
Genetic Defect 10:09 AM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by CBI_2:
Biggest clue that the pic was photoshppoed is the U.S. flag is facing the wrong direction.
Originally Posted by Blueface:
You beat me to it.:-)
you both are wrong, stars LTW
Blueface 10:10 AM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
but Fred, doesn't this picture show that it is definately not a one way street? And IMO there is a difference in the stories you posted which are not bashing the army but in:
Story one - The policits of the Bush administration
Story two - The politics of the Bush administration
Story three - The arrogance of a French officer
Story four - An elderly man who didn't have his paperwork ready when going tru customs

but the statement on the picture is disrespect to the non American soldiers that are dying out there. What further fuels my rage about this picture is the fact that yes, thanks to the Americans (and Brits, Canadians, Australians & Maroccan) armed forces WWII ended and there has always been a great deal of respect and appriciation towards those troops. Now foreign troops are helping America out in two wars (I see Iraq and Afghanistan as two seperated wars) and we got shown disrespect in this way (I know not every is disrespecting the allied forces, I am just talking about this picture and the photoshopper who made it).
Just an observation.....
Hotreds clarified who the three countries listed are.
Are those countries in fact helping out as you state and did we miss something?
Remember, the photo does not illustrate the front of the United Nations with all the flags of the world. It specifically addresses three nations and I believe Hotreds has it right.
Genetic Defect 10:12 AM 01-17-2009
To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars is worn closest to your heart. Further, when worn on the sleeve of a military uniform, the flag should appear to be advancing and not retreating. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag (normal). For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag.

http://www.ushistory.org/BETSY/flagetiq.html

(this was copird and pasted everyone else please feel free to do it too}
Diesel Kinevel 10:13 AM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:
"Discussing" the French is a time honored tradition. :-)
Thats what I was thinking:-)
md4958 10:15 AM 01-17-2009
but Fred, doesn't this picture show that it is definately not a one way street? And IMO there is a difference in the stories you posted which are not bashing the army but in:
Story one - The policits of the Bush administration
Story two - The politics of the Bush administration
Story three - The arrogance of a French officer
Story four - An elderly man who didn't have his paperwork ready when going tru customs

but the statement on the picture is disrespect to the non American soldiers that are dying out there. What further fuels my rage about this picture is the fact that yes, thanks to the Americans (and Brits, Canadians, Australians & Maroccan) armed forces WWII ended and there has always been a great deal of respect and appriciation towards those troops. Now foreign troops are helping America out in two wars (I see Iraq and Afghanistan as two seperated wars) and we got shown disrespect in this way (I know not every is disrespecting the allied forces, I am just talking about this picture and the photoshopper who made it).

Don, perhaps I missed it, but where on that soldiers uniform was there the flag of a nation that was involved in the middle east wars. I see the French flag, the German flag, and the Russian flag.

No where on this thread have I seen any criticism of our allies in the middle east wars... and certainly not the Dutch.

I intend no disrespect, by why are you so infuriated by this photograph?
hotreds 10:15 AM 01-17-2009
Freedom Fries, anyone?
Don Fernando 10:15 AM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Just an observation.....
Hotreds clarified who the three countries listed are.
Are those countries in fact helping out as you state and did we miss something?
Remember, the photo does not illustrate the front of the United Nations with all the flags of the world. It specifically addresses three nations and I believe Hotreds has it right.
then still "doing the job for" ........... who started the war on Iraq for false reasons? Who trained and armed the mudjahedin/taliban? Indeed: America, so why should other countries clean up the mess that the Reagan/Bush administration and the George W Bush administration made?
Genetic Defect 10:17 AM 01-17-2009
then still "doing the job for" ........... who started the war on Iraq for false reasons? Who trained and armed the mudjahedin/taliban? Indeed: America, so why should other countries clean up the mess that the Reagan/Bush administration and the George W Bush administration made?
:-)
Don Fernando 10:22 AM 01-17-2009
Don't get me wrong, I fully support the Dutch mission in Afghanistan and I think it is good that we do everything we can to help out a friendly nation.
md4958 10:22 AM 01-17-2009
I would hate to see it deleted because of it turning into a political rant.
Tenor CS 10:28 AM 01-17-2009
So ... to throw another monkey wrench into the discussion: does anybody know if these stories are in fact, true? They sound like typical internet-forward glurge to me. (Glurge is a term I first heard at the snopes.com urban legend site to describe those heartwarming, chicken-soup-for-the-soul kind of stories) The lack of specifics re: dates of these supposed conversations, and no specific names of the non-Americans leads me to believe that these likely were not actual conversations. Also, the tone of the speakers does not seem very "diplomat-like."

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for our troops, and those of other countries. I just feel that there is no need to glurge-ify the stories. The facts speak strongly enough.

The facts I consider important:

There are many American troops in the Middle East right now.
Many of them are doing dangerous work in horrible conditions.
They should be respected for the job they are doing, even if you disagree with the politicians who are making them do that job.
Genetic Defect 10:29 AM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by Tenor CS:
So ... to throw another monkey wrench into the discussion: does anybody know if these stories are in fact, true? They sound like typical internet-forward glurge to me. (Glurge is a term I first heard at the snopes.com urban legend site to describe those heartwarming, chicken-soup-for-the-soul kind of stories) The lack of specifics re: dates of these supposed conversations, and no specific names of the non-Americans leads me to believe that these likely were not actual conversations. Also, the tone of the speakers does not seem very "diplomat-like."

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for our troops, and those of other countries. I just feel that there is no need to glurge-ify the stories. The facts speak strongly enough.

They should be respected for the job they are doing, even if you disagree with the politicians who are making them do that job.
IMHO they are false in detail, but true in meaning.
CBI_2 10:30 AM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars is worn closest to your heart. Further, when worn on the sleeve of a military uniform, the flag should appear to be advancing and not retreating. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag (normal). For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag.

http://www.ushistory.org/BETSY/flagetiq.html

(this was copird and pasted everyone else please feel free to do it too}
Thanks Perry. I stand corrected sir.

I hate to say it , but anyone who doesn't see the connection between Afghanistan and Iraq in the war against Islamo-fascism needs to get a better understanding of this conflict and its roots.
Genetic Defect 10:32 AM 01-17-2009
Thanks Perry. I stand corrected sir.

I hate to say it , but anyone who doesn't see the connection between Afghanistan and Iraq in the war against Islamo-fascism needs to get a better understanding of this conflict and its roots.
you are welcome, also I just saw yet another word I butchered :-)
Don Fernando 10:33 AM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
I would hate to see it deleted because of it turning into a political rant.
I have full confidence in the group of 11, if things go bad I am sure they will edit or delete postings.
Don Fernando 10:36 AM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by Tenor CS:

I do respect them and I even call some soldiers my friends (JK5, Tobii, Skills, ICBJ, BigBruce, Tabb, Jason), they are only doing their job and following orders..
Don Fernando 10:38 AM 01-17-2009

and I hate to say this, but anyone still believing that the invasion of Iraq wasn't based on 'getting back for daddy' feelings and oil politics needs to get a better understanding of the facts.
M1903A1 10:40 AM 01-17-2009
Who trained and armed the mudjahedin/taliban? Indeed: America [SNIP]the Reagan/Bush administration
How soon the world has forgotten the Cold War and the need to break the Soviet threat.
nozero 10:41 AM 01-17-2009
I receved that in an email a while back as well. Great read! Thanks for posting!
:-)
kdog 10:42 AM 01-17-2009
Awesome Post man, God bless America
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up