Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
General Discussion>Project Of The Day : Lingerie Dresser
shilala 03:42 PM 12-07-2012
The drawer hardware came today, I'm taking a break then I'll start putting it in.
Just a few pics...
The first is the fronts after the first coat of stain. 15 minutes on each one. I'll match them to the dresser and put a second coat on as necessary, adjusting how long I leave the stain on.

The second pic is the drawer glides. I managed to find face and rear frame brackets that work with the glides, it'll take a whole day of work off the project and only cost about 25 bucks. If not for the brackets I'd have to build out the sides on the inside to receive the glides. I'd have to plane each piece of 24 pieces for a custom fit. That sucks. This is WAY better. :-)

The last pic is the drawers all glued up, bottoms in, sanded and ready to put in. They came out far better than I imagined and were so easy to square up that it was a pleasure.

I'm gonna put the second layer of poly on the carcass this evening, I already sanded it out. It'll be 100% finished at that point. Everything else is made, and the project is just about done.

[Reply]
shilala 02:28 PM 12-10-2012
Yesterday I stuck the drawer fronts on temporarily to mark them for gluing.
Today I glued up the drawers and put the knobs on.
All I have left to do is a little touchup sanding to take grubby fingerprints off the drawers, stain the backsides of the drawers to clean that up, re-install the drawers, fine tune them and add some more screws in the glides.
I'd like to finish it all now but I really need to leave the drawer front glue to dry. I'm gonna go read and wait till tomorrow, I think.
Anyways, a couple more pics...

[Reply]
363 02:38 PM 12-10-2012
Scott this is phenomenal! Brotha, a true work of art if I dare say so!
[Reply]
shilala 02:54 PM 12-10-2012
I can wrap this up now, pics aren't going to show anything more of what I'm gonna do.

This whole thing was a lot of fun. It was actually just practice. It was a perfect project to design from scratch from software to tooling to jigs. I learned a TON and I'm honestly just as shocked as anyone that it turned out so great.

Woodworking is something I've always loved, and it's been my dream to have a badass shop where I can create anything I want. I need a lot more years of practice before I'll be happy with my skills, and I have volumes more to learn. That's what makes it fun. :-)
I need to build a king-size four post bed next. I have no clue how I'm going to make it, but I have a lot of parts and pieces and strategies in my head already. That stuff usually comes to me when I'm driving. It's when I figure out most everything mechanical I'm doing.

Before I step into the bed thing, I need to make a little presentation piece in a hurry. It's a top secret thing for now. I might bang out a humidor, but I'm not very inspired to that end just yet. I'd like to do a few other things before I mess with that.

I hope you guys enjoyed this thing!!!
shilala out.

[Reply]
chaase321 03:24 PM 12-10-2012
simply beautiful Scott!
[Reply]
Big Bert 03:59 PM 12-10-2012
Gorgeous piece!!!!
[Reply]
TJarv 04:01 PM 12-10-2012
Looks great
[Reply]
Robulous78 06:18 PM 12-10-2012
WOW... REALLY Nice work Scott... :-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 07:45 PM 12-10-2012
Looks great brother :-) She is going to love it!

Originally Posted by shilala:

I need to build a king-size four post bed next. I have no clue how I'm going to make it, but I have a lot of parts and pieces and strategies in my head already.
Are you an oak man, Scott?
[Reply]
Robulous78 07:47 PM 12-10-2012
Seems like an oak man to me... :-)

I look forward to seeing that Bed Scott... :-)
[Reply]
hammondc 07:50 PM 12-10-2012
Damn fine job, bro.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:06 AM 12-11-2012
Scott, that turned out amazing! You are gonna be a great wood artist my friend!!!
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 05:40 AM 12-11-2012
Looks awesome.
[Reply]
14holestogie 06:01 AM 12-11-2012
Just amazing, Scott. I hear you on the grubby fingerprints, sand marks and the like. Spent last night resanding and restaining myself. I'm never happy with the finish, but sooner or later you've got to say this needs to be over. :-)
[Reply]
Dave128 08:03 AM 12-11-2012
That piece of furniture looks great, Scott!
[Reply]
CasaDooley 10:09 AM 12-11-2012
Scott, you have mad skills Bro! Your stuff always looks so damn good.:-)
[Reply]
stearns 10:18 AM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
I'm honestly just as shocked as anyone that it turned out so great.
<---- This guy isn't shocked at all that it turned out so great. nice job scott, another work of art. I'm confident it will be cherished forever
[Reply]
shilala 10:28 AM 12-11-2012
Thanks, guys!!! :-)
Ben, it's truly an heirloom piece. I can hardly pick it up, it's solid 3/4" cherry all over.
I struggled with using metal glides, I thought that would take away from the "heirloom" of it, but I made it so they can be very easily replaced if necessary and I used very good stuff.
The only concern is that the grease on them will turn gummy and gross in a few years. At that point I'll clean it all off and use mineral oil. That should stay for the next 1000 years. :-)
[Reply]
Taki 10:46 AM 12-11-2012
Incredible job Scott!! That is one amazing piece brother :-)
Its unfortunate but you dont see that nice of a quality product anywhere anymore!

Great Job! :-)
[Reply]
Shawn hines 10:57 PM 12-13-2012
Great Job Scott. That thing is very nice. I wish I had one of those CNC machines, looks like they would be fun to play around with.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up