Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
All Cigar Discussion>How do you buy your smokes?
Mattso3000 10:47 AM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Where is this WTS/WTB section? Am I missing something or do I just not have the clearance yet?
Have you checked the clearance Clarence? Doors will open up.
[Reply]
shilala 10:54 AM 08-18-2011
Where is this WTS/WTB section? Am I missing something or do I just not have the clearance yet?
You should have clearance soon, I'd think. Just keep doin what you're doin. :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 10:56 AM 08-18-2011
Thanks Scott, just making sure I wasn't overlooking something. :-)
[Reply]
WittyUserName 11:39 AM 08-18-2011
Thanks Scott, just making sure I wasn't overlooking something. :-)
^^ me too
[Reply]
longknocker 12:02 PM 08-18-2011
Patience, Brothers! :-)
[Reply]
WittyUserName 12:12 PM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Patience, Brothers! :-)
I am in no hurry at all, I know it will come when the time is right.
[Reply]
irratebass 01:13 PM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by WittyUserName:
I am in no hurry at all, I know it will come when the time is right.
:-) Ditto
[Reply]
Jasonw560 01:16 PM 08-18-2011
Right now, I buy singles at the local liquor store, or when I get to a good B&M, singles there.

Going to try samplers when I get a chance.

My wife allows me about $20 a week for incidentals at work. I am setting some of that aside as cigar money. If we have enough in the account after bills are paid, I can "play" a little.

Once my CCs are paid down, I'll have a little more wiggle room. I have to be careful, especially with the Bass Pro Shops openng up in October. I won't go crazy (yet).
[Reply]
STEVE S 01:29 PM 08-18-2011
I like to buy singles to try out new cigars, then the ones I like, I will buy a box.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 01:36 PM 08-18-2011
So far I have only bought samplers... Still trying to find that 'special' one.. But, oh well.. I have tried plenty of good ones in the process.
[Reply]
alfredo_buscatti 12:56 AM 08-19-2011
Although I would like to preview the cigar in which I'm interested by buying a 5-er from my B&M, both to support him and to get an idea of what the cigar is like, doing so means I drop ~1/3 of the value of a box in that purchase, and I don't have the money to do that and buy a box. This is a wonderful B&M with an outstanding humidor, but you have to gently twist the owner's arm to get a discount on a 5 cigar purchase; he normally charges you 5 Xs the singles price, and I dislike the arm twisting.

Also, as I don't have the money to pay his prices on a box, about 40% higher than the cost from the lowest price e-tailer, I've never bought a box from him and doubt that I ever will, although I've tried. For instance I got a box of the Don Carlos Presidente for $208.00; when I ran that number past him I was told that getting the box through him for that price was dreaming.

Also, about 50% of the time, a 5-er is an inadequate preview; in these cases I need to smoke 10-15 cigars to judge a cigar.

Instead what I do read 3 pages of Google output of reviews of the cigar, get a consensus of how the cigar performs, and make my decision. Only unusually do I get cigars that I don't like.
[Reply]
Hippiebrian 06:55 AM 08-19-2011
I usually buy big samplers on line. I get singles at the local b&m, usually when I go in I smoke one in the lounge and take two home. I have been out of the cigar world for about 20 yearss, as the divorce didn't leave me enough money to smoke what I enjoy. Now that I can afford it (again), I've found the brands have all changed, as has my palete. I will start buying bundles or boxes soon, as I have found pretty much what I'd like to smoke on a regular basis at a decent price, but will continue buying samples, singles and fivers because I love the variety!
[Reply]
heavyd 02:04 PM 08-21-2011
I buy boxes if I know I like the cigar. Otherwise fivers and sometimes singles
[Reply]
Newbie_nick 03:26 PM 08-21-2011
I love to go to a B&M shop and drool at the selection. I love that smell of opening the humidor door and the rush of scents that come out as I step in! Mmmm...I love it.

Sorry, I zoned out for a minute. Seriously though, I love to try cigars from my B&M store and if I like it, I'll consider a box. I also like samplers to try new things since I'm definitely a noob. I've only bought a couple of boxes in my life, but I'm sure that will change as I get into this addiction!
[Reply]
maninblack 03:57 PM 08-21-2011
Nothing but boxes and fivers for me. Mostly boxes. And my basement is getting crowded with all the empty ones.
[Reply]
timatraw 04:28 PM 08-21-2011
I guess "clearance" is determined by number of posts.
I buy by the box.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:49 PM 08-21-2011
I am in a couple of monthly box splits. Other than that I pretty much only buy boxes. Once in a blue moon I buy a sampler or a fiver from a WTS thread.
[Reply]
shilala 04:53 PM 08-21-2011
Originally Posted by alfredo_buscatti:
Also, about 50% of the time, a 5-er is an inadequate preview; in these cases I need to smoke 10-15 cigars to judge a cigar.
Really???
Here's how I do it...
Smoke cigar. It's either good enough for a box purchase, or not. In very remote instances I'll smoke two before making a box purchase decision. In 100% of those situations, I don't buy a box.
But really, 10 or 15 cigars to make up your mind? I think you're jerking our collective chain, or you've not been made aware that there's hundreds, if not thousands of other cigars to move on to. If a cigar doesn't make you shine the first time, don't doddle, brother. There's likely 14 gems you're missing while you're guessing if you like that first cigar.
[Reply]
Bill86 05:30 PM 08-21-2011
I'm with Scott, I smoke one cigar. If I like it I buy a box, if I don't I move on to others.

Sometimes another one will randomly come my way via trade or a friend wants me to give it a second shot and if it's good it was meant to be and I'll get a box. If not it further reinforces the fact that the cigar is not for me.

Other than that there is maybe 2-3 peoples opinions I trust (based solely on flavor profile) and a maybe 1-2 reviewers I trust.

I refuse to buy 10-15 cigars to make up my mind on a box. That's about half a box right there. May as well have bought it and probably got a good enough deal that it would be 25% more to get a full box instead of half.
[Reply]
Moose6026 07:10 PM 08-21-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre:
fixed it for you brother.

As to the original post. I try to buy boxes (cheaper then singles). I will also do the 5er if its a good deal, then do 4 of them.:-)

Thanks for lookin out for a brother Larry.:-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up