Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>I'm Very Proud To Say
tx_tuff 11:42 AM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by htown:
Maybe I am wrong, but I only feel good if I am supporting a B&M that is run by decent people. Just because they have chosen to sell cigars does not mean that they are upstanding citizens or deserving of my hard earned cash. I have had an owner of one cigar shop tell me mold on his cigars was plume and the owner of another try and convince me that some unbanded cigars were habanos that his friend in Canada sent him (which they obviously were not). Neither one of these stores gets my money. I would rather buy cigars online or from someone here.
Are these the 2 main shops in Sugarland? I think there are more then a few great B&Ms in Houston.
[Reply]
tx_tuff 11:44 AM 12-27-2010
I like to buy most of my cigars from local B&Ms but if I see a deal or cigar I can not get there I will buy online.
[Reply]
hammondc 11:46 AM 12-27-2010
I buy mostly online these days, but that is due to the fact that most of the shops in SA have an air pretentiousness that has to be cut with a knife. There is one exception, and I do frequent that shop occasionally.
[Reply]
htown 11:47 AM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by tx_tuff:
Are these the 2 main shops in Sugarland? I think there are more then a few great B&Ms in Houston.
Of course there are great B&Ms in Houston and I buy cigars from them when I am in the area. My point was that I don't support B&Ms just because they are local. If I have a bad experience in one, I probably won't go back.
[Reply]
swh127 11:58 AM 12-27-2010
I support my B&M every chance I get. Its an older gentleman and his wife as their retirement job. He understands that he can't beat the online stores due to the volume they can do and the rent/electricity he has to pay downtown. So to combat this, he stocks boutique cigars that you can't find online.

I do buy a lot of the cigars I smoke online but I also visit the store at least 3 times a week. I love the environment and the conversation. Where else can a 18 year old college student hang out with industry professionals, college professors, firefighters and a local judge or two
[Reply]
tx_tuff 01:45 PM 12-27-2010
Of course there are great B&Ms in Houston and I buy cigars from them when I am in the area. My point was that I don't support B&Ms just because they are local. If I have a bad experience in one, I probably won't go back.
I agree with that 100%! I have had one tell me the same thing about mold, but it was an out of town place. Have been to another here in town that has mold on a few and the guy just leaves them out like no big deal. I don't get it.
[Reply]
OLS 02:35 PM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
I can't remember the last time I bought online. I try to support the local guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
And that's why your wife hates cigars.....:-)
[Reply]
OLS 02:45 PM 12-27-2010
I don't have you beat, Volusianator, but I DO have a long-standing animus against more than a few of em,
and I have not ordered since.....about the middle of October. Before that it was about every two months,
and before that it was every payday, lol.
[Reply]
Volusianator 04:59 PM 12-27-2010
Maybe I am wrong, but I only feel good if I am supporting a B&M that is run by decent people. Just because they have chosen to sell cigars does not mean that they are upstanding citizens or deserving of my hard earned cash.
Same hold true for online retailers!

I have had an owner of one cigar shop tell me mold on his cigars was plume
That's happened with online stores as well!

the owner of another try and convince me that some unbanded cigars were habanos that his friend in Canada sent him (which they obviously were not).
I would bet if you looked back in the archives here, the same has happened on this very forum too.

I would rather buy cigars online or from someone here.
And that's the cool thing, it's just like what cigars you smoke, ones you love, others may hate, and you're both right. I'm not condoning buying cigars online, just saying that when the day comes that you want to go to that B&M, sit down and enjoy a cigar, only to find out that they couldn't pay the bills and went out of business, keep in mind your willingness to save a buck to buy online.

I've bought from both of course, and I'm sure I'll buy online again in the future, but I will do everything I can do to support my local small business man, it's where I get my truck worked on, where I get my shoes, where I buy my cigars. I'm just trying to do my part.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 02:52 AM 12-28-2010
I have never ordered any NC online. Support my local B&M.
[Reply]
longknocker 04:43 AM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
WOW!! Can't make that same comment. :-)
I Can't Either, But I "Need" To In 2011!:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Salvelinus 05:06 AM 12-28-2010
I don't shop at my local enough, the tax is unbearable. I do however stop at B&M's in NH whenever I am passing through. I definitely prefer supporting the locals, even if they aren't local to me.
[Reply]
Big_Ern 05:47 AM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by CoreyD:
But $45 in a store at a time for less than 10 hurts the pocket sometimes.
I am lucky if I can get 2 for $45. I was in North Dakota and was so happy about the prices I was skipping to the cash register. even my wife said they were cheaper in the U.S.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 06:14 AM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by Big_Ern:
I am lucky if I can get 2 for $45. I was in North Dakota and was so happy about the prices I was skipping to the cash register. even my wife said they were cheaper in the U.S.
Canada has by far the most ridiculous prices I have seen. Too bad, I really like the LCDH in Montreal but the prices just aren't worth the effort to go up and smoke more.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 02:12 AM 12-29-2010
Originally Posted by swh127:
I support my B&M every chance I get. Its an older gentleman and his wife as their retirement job. He understands that he can't beat the online stores due to the volume they can do and the rent/electricity he has to pay downtown. So to combat this, he stocks boutique cigars that you can't find online.

I do buy a lot of the cigars I smoke online but I also visit the store at least 3 times a week. I love the environment and the conversation. Where else can a 18 year old college student hang out with industry professionals, college professors, firefighters and a local judge or two
Couldn't agree with you more. :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 08:47 AM 12-29-2010
Just to add insult to injury, not only do we have the highest taxes on cigars in the United States, we cannot smoke in any of them......
[Reply]
Krish the Fish 09:20 AM 12-29-2010
I can't remember the last time I bought NCs online, but I can say I haven't bought any since the summer. The only exception is buying from a local store (New Havana) that does business online.

I even bought a box of Anejo 49s from my B&M for like $316, knowing that I could have gotten a better deal online. However, even though my B&M owner doesn't quite know how to maximize his business, I like the guys that work there (owner included) and all the "regulars" are super cool as well. I want to support the place to keep a cool place to smoke in cbus alive.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up