Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
All Cigar Discussion>Opus X ... Am I Missing Something
cricky101 09:27 AM 11-22-2010
I think I've traded/bombed/given away more Opus than I've smoked myself, but the few I had didn't do too much for me. Not bad at all, but there are other flavor profiles I prefer. Now the Anejos, those I love!
[Reply]
icehog3 10:29 AM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by klipsch:
I've got a draw full of Opus, all with more than a years age on em.
Is that an Opus in your drawers, Walt, or are you just happy to see me? :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 10:34 AM 11-22-2010
personally, I love Opus X's, but won't go out of my way to get them.

I'm lucky to have a nice guy at the B&M near me that allows me as many as I want for msrp and normally carries a good stock.

More often than not, I will reach for a Don Carlos before an Opus if I'm spending that much money on a single.
[Reply]
Ol' Times Cigars 10:45 AM 11-22-2010
Its a case of different smokes for different folks. Plenty of our customers love the Opus line but over the years they have become more available, atleast in our area. As they have become more available I have heard more and more people turn away from them. A lot of say they just don't do it for them anymore and that they feel like they have changed over the years. Then again more cigars have come out that have been receiving great ratings and peoples tastes change so the Opus doesn't seem as popular as it used to be. I used to sell out in about a week or two and now I have about 15 boxes in stock, with about 5 left over from the last shipment.

I would say if you haven't tried one and you get the chance then try one, you may miss out on something you like. Just don't pay more than $20 for one. If you don't like it atleast you tried one and found out.
[Reply]
floydpink 11:01 AM 11-22-2010
Funny that Ol Times should reply, they are the only store in my area I have ever seen carry Opus at msrp and never gouge the customer.

They are the store I was referring to.
[Reply]
JJG 11:33 AM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by floydpink:

I'm lucky to have a nice guy at the B&M near me that allows me as many as I want for msrp and normally carries a good stock.
same here, I have a shop near me that gets a ton every year. They're not the absolute cheapest I've seen, but not too bad either, $12-16 usually.

I suppose if I had to pay $20+ or drive all over town to get them, I would probably be a little disappointed too.
[Reply]
Ol' Times Cigars 12:43 PM 11-22-2010
The Anejos on the other hand are a smoke that won't disappoint. We just got some in, hopefully we will see more but you never know. You should see them popping up at your local shops but they go quick. If you haven't tried that one it is worth it, but they are much harder to find.

Pete,
Thanks for the support and the good words.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 12:52 PM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by Ol' Times Cigars:
The Anejos on the other hand are a smoke that won't disappoint.
I love 'em both. :-)
[Reply]
Ol' Times Cigars 12:53 PM 11-22-2010
So do I, but I have yet to hear a complaint about the Anejos.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 12:57 PM 11-22-2010
So do I, but I have yet to hear a complaint about the Anejos.
I certainly agree that the Anejos are probably more likely to appeal to a wider audience.
[Reply]
warren G. 10:57 PM 11-22-2010
I remember smoking my first Opus, it was the robusto and I was just smiling the entire time. It was an amazing cigar and had about 2+ years on it.

I have a good bit of Opus tuck away in my humidor. But man, Anejo = mighty fine cigar.
[Reply]
cboor001 03:17 AM 11-23-2010
Aged Opus are outstanding cigars, but fresh I don't really care for them. I also think that the vitola makes a huge difference to each individual. I Love the PL, and #4/#5s, but don't enjoy the larger vitolas much at all. I do have a Love Affair resting at home, but won't even be able to get to it until spring of 2011. I say find a good aged Opus and give it the 'ol college try.
[Reply]
Martel 03:22 PM 11-24-2010
Age+Dryboxing= Opus Happiness.

Cheers,
G
[Reply]
Knip23 04:19 PM 11-24-2010
I think its all about your pallat. Like me not a huge fan of Opus X at all. Ive smoked a couple. One fresh and one with about 2 years on it. Just wasnt my taste. You'll find diffrent cigars that people go CRAZY over but you may not like them. To each there own though.

Knip.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:33 PM 11-24-2010
Plenty of our customers love the Opus line but over the years they have become more available, atleast in our area. As they have become more available I have heard more and more people turn away from them. A lot of say they just don't do it for them anymore and that they feel like they have changed over the years.
Same here. When we didn't have them in, I turned ALOT of people onto Pepins and LFD's and most never cared to go back to Opus.

I've been disappointed more times than not with Opus. I've had a dozen or so that were older than 5 years and only a couple were really good. Opus has never been on my "to get" list.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 05:54 PM 11-24-2010
I used to hate them. Had one this summer and it was a religious experience. That means I liked it.

MCS
[Reply]
icehog3 07:51 PM 11-24-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I've had a dozen or so that were older than 5 years and only a couple were really good.
Pretty much sums up my experiences too, Greg....too many duds to justfy the dough, but I must admit to a couple great ones mixed in along the way.
[Reply]
sobranie10 08:34 PM 11-24-2010
Original release Opus X were great since 1998 I have smoked very few. Our local rep came into our BM talking up Opus X, said their was no change in the cigar. Explained my thoughts and said lets compare I pulled a original release A of mine and he lit a new Opus X after smoking one third of each cigar I asked for his opinion and he said mine was over ten years old. I asked politely do you think your cigar would be this good if It was aged for ten years, no other comment. He did not argue which cigar he would rather smoke.
In their defense I still like Hemingway’s, Queen Bees. They are excellent :-):-)
[Reply]
akumushi 02:12 AM 11-25-2010
I smoked my first Anejo tonight and would now take any Anejo hands down over any Opus. That said, for Fuentes, the 8-5-8 Sungrown is still the shiz in my book. That said, I've never had a Rosado.
[Reply]
sammyboy405 11:41 AM 11-25-2010
Wow.. What a Response! Wasn't expecting that at all.

So heres what ive learned from everyones suggestions and comments.

1. Try it again.
2. Find a Poker :-)
3. Age is everything

I got one Opus X left and I will let that one Age, The cigar shop let me have the box since I bought the last 2. And if the box is correct it looks like the cigar isnt but about 6 to 7 months old. I will give it some more time and try it later this summer.

Thanks everyone for there thoughts / suggestions.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up