Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
General Discussion>DBall smoking blind NCs...
akumushi 12:35 PM 10-06-2010
The last picture says it all:-)
[Reply]
HK3- 01:22 PM 10-06-2010
Now that's a funny ass fakin review right there Dan! :-) Wondering now what the hell it was that you smoked? Or didn't. :-)
[Reply]
DBall 01:24 PM 10-06-2010
Originally Posted by HK3-:
Now that's a funny ass fakin review right there Dan! :-) Wondering now what the hell it was that you smoked? Or didn't. :-)
Dude... Hal, I tried! :-):-):-)
[Reply]
HK3- 01:26 PM 10-06-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
Dude... Hal, I tried! :-):-):-)
I'm still laughing :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 04:17 PM 10-06-2010
Dan

You smoked an Illusione Epernay Le Monde

I wish I had known you smaller cigars.
Shame on me for not doing my research.:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:21 PM 10-06-2010
Enjoying this thread very much!! :-)
[Reply]
DBall 04:34 PM 10-06-2010
Wow... that surprises me.

I really actually like Illusiones (the MK specifically... I got a 5er of them a while back and smoked my second to last one a couple months ago... absolutely loved it).

I'm truly astonished that I didn't like that. I wonder if I would've liked it better knowing what it was up front... that's why I love these blind tasting things. Seems to get pretty honest without the bands.

As for you sending me RG cigars I like, no worries... I am doing this to get out of my comfort zone. Anyway, the majority of cigars you got in my BTT I sent you were, as Chicken calls them, "number 2 pencils". :-)
[Reply]
Flynnster 04:37 PM 10-06-2010
This looks like a great thread, nice to see some opinions when there is no pre judgment.
[Reply]
DBall 04:54 PM 10-06-2010
Originally Posted by Flynnster:
This looks like a great thread, nice to see some opinions when there is no pre judgment.
check these threads, too, then. I'm on my fourth round of hosting Blind Taste Tests.

Blind Taste Test Thread #1

Blind Taste Test Thread #2

Blind Taste Test Thread #3

The 4th one, in progress, is here:

Blind Taste Test Thread #4

:-)
[Reply]
Flynnster 06:08 PM 10-06-2010
Why do they always pick on you? Or do you bring this upon yourself? haha
[Reply]
DBall 06:14 PM 10-06-2010
Why do they always pick on you? Or do you bring this upon yourself? haha

The newbs? I'm sure it's my fault somehow... :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 06:17 PM 10-06-2010
Wow... that surprises me.

I really actually like Illusiones
From your review, I'm surprised it's an Illusione too. Wow!
[Reply]
Flynnster 07:12 PM 10-06-2010
The newbs? I'm sure it's my fault somehow... :-)
My bad, I misread those other threads, I though it was you blind testing the cigars.

If you need any new newbs I know a guy...........
[Reply]
DBall 07:21 PM 10-06-2010
My bad, I misread those other threads, I though it was you blind testing the cigars.

If you need any new newbs I know a guy...........
Well... we are just starting the 4th one. If I do a fifth it'll be 10 to 12 weeks... by then, all you'll need are 100 posts (give or take) and at least 1 trade. :-)
[Reply]
rizzle 07:26 AM 10-07-2010
… it tastes like unbridled sorrow.
Dan, is this line trademarked or can I use it on occasion? That's some beautificous prose, bro.
:-)
[Reply]
Tikihut27 10:59 AM 10-07-2010
Yes, I think "unbridled sorrow" may be replacing "agitated geraniums" as the taste phrase of choice around the Rochester area...
[Reply]
Starscream 06:46 PM 10-13-2010
Any updates yet, Dan? I really like this thread!:-)
[Reply]
shilala 08:07 AM 10-14-2010
I'm not surprised with your review of the Illusione. The last one I tried was like smoking a fistful of a$$holes. When I try most cigars our brothers are digging, I can usually pick out reasons why they'd like them, even if I don't enjoy the flavors. There's really no hope for this brand in my book.
Even though I've never found a Pete Johnson stick I like, I keep trying cause I figure that sooner or later I'll find something I like. I gave up on this stuff altogether. :-)
[Reply]
wayner123 08:08 AM 10-14-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
I'm not surprised with your review of the Illusione. The last one I tried was like smoking a fistful of a$$holes. When I try most cigars our brothers are digging, I can usually pick out reasons why they'd like them, even if I don't enjoy the flavors. There's really no hope for this brand in my book.
Even though I've never found a Pete Johnson stick I like, I keep trying cause I figure that sooner or later I'll find something I like. I gave up on this stuff altogether. :-)
Have you had the Holy Lancero?
[Reply]
DBall 08:17 PM 10-17-2010
Cigar #4

1st/3rd:

This cigar is a lancero sized cigar… perfect amount of resistance on the pre draw and very cocoa-ish flavors. Lit it up and, again, forgot this was an NC and tried to push it out my nose. I physically cringed.

I’m not getting anything but spice. I think this cigar is giving me heartburn.

Sadly, I was expecting great things due to its size… I really was looking forward to this cigar for that reason. Silly me. I’m less than a third in, though, so I’m keeping an open mind.

This thing, so far, is too much chaos for my palate to decipher what flavors may or may not be there. It’s like the difference between a boxing match and being hit in the face with an out of control wrecking ball… all punch, no finesse.

2nd/3rd:

The palate-coating flavor of this is like those big pouches of chewing tobacco… exactly.

Seriously… it’s 100% like that. I’m actually gonna guess this is a Red Man brand cigar. Am I right? I think I am. I used to get flavors like that out of La Aurora 1495’s… back then, I even liked them. However, my palate changed (considerably, apparently).

…aaaaaaaaaaand now it went out. I almost wanna leave it that way, but I will soldier on.

At the half, this is not my cup of tea. I get together with my friends on Sundays and smoke cigars, but I’m pretty sure I’ve ruined my palate for the day. I strongly feel the urge to drink some Maalox for the indigestion.

3rd/3rd:

My throat is itchy now… not in the good way. I can push a little out my nose at the end of this. I’m picking up some flavors, but it’s definitely muddled. The cigar is now redeeming itself, though… pushing the smoke out my nose (in extreme moderation) rewards me with some tastiness. I wish I could pinpoint it better, but I can’t.

Gotta say it’s a bit charry now, but the ending hasn’t been horrible… a little chocolate on the finish, but still masked by the strength and charred overtone. Still not what I’d classify as a good cigar, though.

Score: 4/10

Not horrible, but TERRIBLY strong in the first two thirds. It mellowed out a bit and got better in the final third, but I’m not forgiving it for the decent ending. It’s like being in a fight, getting your ass kicked and then having the person who stomped you tell ya that you did a good job. Sure, it feels good to hear it, but ya still got your ass kicked.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up