< 123 45 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>DBall's Newb Blind Taste Test #4
kgoings 05:32 PM 10-13-2010
Love these threads!
[Reply]
Samsquanch 05:46 PM 10-13-2010
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Plans are for #3 tonight :-)
I think that's a good idea and I'll do the same, really put the pressure on Dan to get #2 posted!! :-)
[Reply]
DBall 08:33 AM 10-14-2010
jonumberone Cigar #2

It’s a beautiful night in NJ, so I decide to grab some coffee, head to the yard, put on the Yankee game, and Give stick #2 a try.

Initial thoughts
The stick appears to be over 5in in length. The wrapper is a Rich coffee brown, with a few veins. One vein is very thick and runs for about an inch and a half from the cap down. I squeeze the stick and this thing is rock solid from cap to foot with almost no give. Pre light draw is tight, and I can tell I’m going to be in for a rough one. I’m going to give this a go as is but, I’m almost positive I’ll be re-cutting this bad boy. Pre light draw isn’t giving me many flavors of note. I Draw on it again and am seriously considering postponing this for a few days to dry box. I’ve sat here for a half an hour debating what to do. I decide rules are rules time to suck it up and give it a go. I shave a little more off the top and it helps a tad, but I have a feeling by the time I’m done my eyeballs will be a little further recessed into my head.

First third
After about a half an inch I still haven’t gotten a mouthful of smoke. I don’t know how to unplug a cigar, but I’m going to have to learn on the fly. This stick is unsmokable as is. This stick is so tight I consider pulling out my power drill and boring a hole in it. I opt instead for a corn on the cob holder and pry out some of the leaf. This works to an extent as I can now get a mouthful of smoke, but it’s still tight as hell. Now that I’m getting some smoke I can start to hunt for flavors. I’m getting a chocolate taste, not a sweet chocolate but more like a bakers chocolate. I’ve been working on going to my nose all week, but I just can’t get enough smoke to make it happen.

Second third
The stick is starting to get a little bitter. I suspect this is my fault as I feel I’m constantly pulling on it trying to get smoke out of it. I also am switching to water. Normally I can pick out flavors over coffee, but with the minimal smoke I’m getting it is the front most flavor on my palate. I’m starting to get faint cedar notes and a little cream. As I smoke a little further the stick is becoming looser, still tight but much more bearable.

Last third
The Flavors have come with the switch to water and the draw opening up. I’m still getting a bitter taste but it is a good bitter like espresso. I’m hoping that’s not the coffee I had earlier but it’s been 45 min since I switched to water. I give the stick a good purge, let it sit, and go to my nose, wow that burns! Cedar and a woodsy taste are in the forefront now and the espresso is still present in the background. A little further down the chocolate is back. It was nowhere to be found since the first inch of this stick. The last third of this stick has been tremendous, and I am a little more than disappointed that the first parts were so tight. Based on the last third alone I would say these are box worthy.

Final thoughts
If I had to sum this stick up in as few words as possible I would call it “Catholic High school Girl”. It was tight as hell, full of potential, and somewhat divine. I believe the tight draw was due to construction problems. The burn was perfect with zero relights and only one touch up after I let it sit a min while I made a second cup of coffee. I also considered the cool temp to be a problem before I lit it; however I find when the temp is the issue the stick expands when I smoke it. This was not the case here. As soon as I find out what this is I’ll be on the hunt for more.

Final score 7.5/10 based solely on the draw problems
Smoke time 2 hrs
[Reply]
DBall 08:34 AM 10-14-2010
Samsquanch Cigar #2

Beautiful fall evening in Seattle a couple days ago, so I decided to take this one to a local park near my apartment. I'm sure as the rainy season sets in here you'll start seeing my setup in the apartment which consists of sitting next to a fan by the window.

This box pressed stick was 5.5" and 46 RG. Light brown with a lot of veins, I did the squeeze test before leaving the apartment and promptly grabbed my new draw tool from Boom and headed for the park.

After cutting with my Palio and taking a quick draw, what I suspected was confirmed. This baby was tight! Used the draw tool, put the flame to the foot, and started working my lungs.

1/3

In between pulls I managed to pick up some cocoa and a nutty flavor. This was a nice tasting, mild stick.

2/3

Extremely light smoke, I'm guessing this is due to the extremely tight draw. The ash is really tight and holds on for over an inch before I knocked it off to keep from dropping in my lap. As well the burn is very even. Really though, I'm just looking for nice things to say about this one, as my lungs are already strained from pulling on this thing.

3/3

The wrapper just split however it did not affect the draw (unfortunately). Near the end of this one it did loosen up a bit and I caught some chocolate flavor.

Final Thoughts

It's a shame because if it wasn't for the super tight draw, I would have really enjoyed this stick. Nice mild yet complex flavor, interested in how it was for Dom and what Dan's thoughts are on this stick as well. I did try putting some smoke through my nose and it helped pull some more flavors out.

Mostly due to the draw issues, I'm going to give this one a 5/10.
[Reply]
DBall 08:39 AM 10-14-2010
What they smoked:

1999 Saint Luis Rey Serie A

jonumberone score: 7.5

Samsquanch score: 5

I've never had draw problems on these... out of this box or any of the others I've smoked.

The first few BTTs, the newbs had the same problem... turns out the cigars were in an incredibly humid environment (65%+). I asked that they dry box the cigars before smoking them to prevent them from having such issues...

What RH are you guys keeping these at?
[Reply]
jonumberone 08:50 AM 10-14-2010
My RH was rock solid at 65% all summer long,
now that the temps have dropped my RH has been at 63% for about a month.
I expect it to stay here for the rest of the winter months.
In the basement, where I keep my humi, the temp is around 62 now.
Thats about where it is during winter when the heat is on.

I loved the flavor of this stick, and despite the draw problems, considered it a real treat to smoke.
Many thanks to Dan for an awesome stick :-)

After I smoked this I gave all the other sticks a little squeeze.
There was one more I would consider firmer than most.
I made a note of the # on the bag and will surely dry box that one.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 09:12 AM 10-14-2010
Nice reviews guys!

Dom, I lol'd at your stick summary :-):-)
[Reply]
DBall 09:53 AM 10-14-2010
Originally Posted by jonumberone:

After I smoked this I gave all the other sticks a little squeeze.
There was one more I would consider firmer than most.
I made a note of the # on the bag and will surely dry box that one.
There was a thread elsewhere, not sure where, but the determination was made that 'firmness' didn't necessarily equate to tight draws. I've had many cigars that were squishy that were plugged like mad and those that felt like batons and drew perfect.

Feeling for a hard spot or a lump somewhere on the cigar (typically under the band) is usually a good way to find out.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 10:02 AM 10-14-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
I've had many cigars that were squishy that were plugged like mad and those that felt like batons and drew perfect.
:-)
[Reply]
Samsquanch 10:08 AM 10-14-2010
My humi has been holding steady at 64%, I'll go ahead and dry box #3 for a couple days before smoking. However I didn't have any draw issues with #1.
[Reply]
Samsquanch 10:10 AM 10-14-2010
I've smoked one of these before and had a totally different experience. No draw issues however check this out...http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34936. After seeing that hole appear all I could think was beetle and I believe it influenced my opinion of the cigar. After this BTT however, I would purchase these again, especially since Dan has never had draw issues.
[Reply]
Nathan King 11:17 AM 10-14-2010
Interesting thread. I look forward to the reviews and responses. :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 02:48 PM 10-14-2010
There was a thread elsewhere, not sure where, but the determination was made that 'firmness' didn't necessarily equate to tight draws. I've had many cigars that were squishy that were plugged like mad and those that felt like batons and drew perfect.

Feeling for a hard spot or a lump somewhere on the cigar (typically under the band) is usually a good way to find out.
Will keep that in mind, thanks Dan
[Reply]
DBall 08:51 AM 10-24-2010
:-) Where we at, guys? :-)
[Reply]
Beklage 09:35 AM 10-24-2010
Subbed :-)
[Reply]
GTCanuk 09:57 AM 10-24-2010
:-) Where we at, guys? :-)
Need some reading material :-)
[Reply]
Samsquanch 09:44 PM 10-24-2010
I know, sorry - I'll get a couple done this week.
[Reply]
Samsquanch 06:12 PM 10-27-2010
Ok, #3 is submitted. :-)
[Reply]
hammondc 06:21 PM 10-27-2010
Yaaaaaawwwwwnnnnnn.......
[Reply]
CRIMPS 12:37 PM 10-28-2010
Completely off topic... I just read your signature Samsquanch. FUNNY!!!

I looked for a clip, but couldn't fine one. Here is an excerpt, though. Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia is genious...

Charlie: All right, you're getting hung up on "can't", and I'm not saying that you can't. I'm saying that it is illegal.
Dennis: No, but it's not illegal.
Charlie: Says the guy who knows nothing about the law!
Dennis: I can absolutely keep a hummingbird as a pet, bro. It's no different than having a parrot or a parakeet. It's a bird, bro.
Charlie: You really can't, and I'm not saying I agree with it. It's just that bird law in this country—it's not governed by reason.
Dennis: There's no such thing as "bird law".
Charlie: Yes, there is.
Dennis: You know what? I'm going to get a hummingbird and I'll show you.
Charlie: Hummingbirds...hummingbirds are illegal tender!
Dennis: I'm going to get one.
Charlie: You cannot.
Dennis: To spite you, I'm going to get one.
Mac: Where are we with gulls?
Charlie: You can keep a gull as a pet, but you don't want to live with a seabird, okay, 'cause the noise level alone on those things...have you ever heard a gull up close? It's going to blast your eardrums out, dude.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 11
< 123 45 > Last »
Up