Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 9
< 123 45 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Buried cigars?
icehog3 07:36 AM 07-27-2010
[Reply]
kaisersozei 07:44 AM 07-27-2010
If it's good enough for kimchee, it's good enough for.... oh, wait. :-)

Actually, I say go for it. :-) You'll have your own little cigar cellar. This will be fun to watch.

Originally Posted by Skywalker:
I say get some balloons or a hot air balloon and float them up high where the air is much cooler!!!:-)
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Skywalker again.
[Reply]
HK3- 07:45 AM 07-27-2010
Don't forget to make yourself a pirates treasure map... just in case something happens and one of us gotta go dig this thing up. :-)
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 07:46 AM 07-27-2010
I won't let nay-sayers get me down and keep me from completing this highly important project. That said, I DO appreciate any support I can get.

I've got a friendly supplier of pvc, etc. looking into options for me.
[Reply]
longknocker 07:53 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
This is going to be cool to watch :-)
Pics!:-):-)
[Reply]
shilala 07:55 AM 07-27-2010
Why don't you build a root cellar? Then you can keep your beer, wine, canned stuff, garden stuff, cigars, everything in there?
Up here in PA everyone used to have a root cellar before the days of basements. It's how they kept everything fresh and cool.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 08:01 AM 07-27-2010
I think you will be better off burying a small cooler or some other pre-made container. No fumes to worry about. Do you have high groundwater? What about a root cellar, like in the old days? A lot more digging, to be sure, but more useful. You could make a locking lid for it.

edit: HA! Scott beat me to it while I was proofreading.
[Reply]
Commander Quan 08:12 AM 07-27-2010
If you are going to dig a hole, I say go all the way like Oak Island
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 08:23 AM 07-27-2010
Actually, for years I have considered installing a tornado (bomb) shelter. This would be a buried septic tank with stairs and nice hatch. Yes, this or a root celar would do the trick but would cost me some big bucks.

I've been reading the "How to Freeze" thread and am now feeling more justified with my buried cigs idea.
[Reply]
nofeardiver 08:47 AM 07-27-2010
just pick up a cheap vino or equivalent wine cooler on ebay or craig's list... i agree if you are new you will out grow fast...
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 09:15 AM 07-27-2010
Gentlemen,
I'm pulling the trigger on the plan.
I want this thing to be water tight, so glued PVC is what I'm going with.
The local supplier (who I often work with) is making me a tube that will be:
-Four foot long section of 8" inside dia. PVC with a glued cap on bottom (definitely water tight)
-This vessel will have a screw top cap that will extend slightly above the ground surface

The 15 cigar caddy will fit into a this tube. I could stack two 15 (or smaller units) into the tube. Removing the foam will give me space in the caddy to pack in more cigars. I will insert a lifting device so that I can get to them.

I think I can safely say that this system will keep 40+ cigars at good temps in the heat of summer.

I'm picking up the tube tomorrow and will bury it on Thursday. I'll post pictures of it before I start digging.

I'll be sure not to put it's GPS coordinates on any geocaching websites!:-)

I
[Reply]
markem 09:16 AM 07-27-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIhcbIPLRIw
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:26 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
Why don't you build a root cellar? Then you can keep your beer, wine, canned stuff, garden stuff, cigars, everything in there?
Up here in PA everyone used to have a root cellar before the days of basements. It's how they kept everything fresh and cool.
Or better yet, one of those survival shelters like in The Road. Also complete with ventilation, bedding, toilet & shower facilities, a few krugerrands and loaded weapons to help withstand the cannibalistic days of the post-apocalypse.
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 09:29 AM 07-27-2010
Perhaps I should demo my entire house and build a new one with a basement. Surely, this would be much easier than digging a hole and inserting an 8" dia. pipe.
[Reply]
massphatness 09:30 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by Hoosierguy:
Perhaps I should demo my entire house and build a new one with a basement. Surely, this would be much easier than digging a hole and inserting an 8" dia. pipe.
Now that’s just silly.
[Reply]
mahtofire 10:09 AM 07-27-2010
I say do it. But here's what you have to do....Turn it into a science project for all the CA BOTL's to watch....Take pics of the project and the progress, and then check back with it periodically to see how they are doing, take more pics with more results, then finally smoke them and post your results.

The Great Cigar Burial.....
[Reply]
TheTraveler 11:13 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by Hoosierguy:
Oh, come now, don't be ridiculous! You shouldn't demo the entire house, you should embark on a long and very expensive renovation project wherein the contractors dig out and build the basement under the existing house! Sheesh, only cheaters would go the demo route.

:-) j/k of course :-)

Have you already purchased the cigar caddies? Are they the perfectly airtight/watertight model? The reason I ask about the airtightness ... condensation due to differences in air temp. Might need to dig the hole, set the apparatus up, insert a thermometer and find out the temp at the depth you'll be storing, get your cigar caddies to that temp, THEN drop them in the tube. But I dunno, I'm no heat/air man nor am I an engineer.
[Reply]
rizzle 11:15 AM 07-27-2010
Once upon a time I thought I had heard it all.

Let er rip, bro! :-)
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 11:30 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Now that’s just silly.
Did somebody call me?

MCS
[Reply]
SaltyMcGee 11:32 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Now that’s just silly.
:-)