Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
General Discussion>USPS opening a domestic package.
wrench turner 85 10:15 AM 10-19-2009
thats sucks hard bro
[Reply]
Wigwam_Motel 10:19 AM 10-19-2009
I am good friends with my post master. I will ask him today when I see him. But; lets learn from this an package our goodies extremely well. What coffin's are we speaking of?
[Reply]
nozero 10:19 AM 10-19-2009
That is so messed up. I'll be watching for the end result...
[Reply]
LooseCard 10:33 AM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by Cigargal:
Who handed it to him? Did he bring it from the PO or did a neighbor give it to hime and say "Wriong house-not mine?" Ask him about it.
In a sense, she's right. you could ask the Carrier if he remembers... but either way, you're also letting him know that an investigation is coming, and he'd better jog his memory for them (if not you).

This is a Federal Offense, and it is not taken lightly.

Originally Posted by Starz26:
I would consider myself lucky if I even got a follow up response.....Just they way gov't works.

I will eat my words if the opposite occurs......
Hope you're hungry.
I know I wouldn't stop until I got an answer.

Damage is one thing. THEFT is completely different.
Those "SmokeTip" cartridges may be a significant clue for them to track against...........
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:42 AM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by Wigwam_Motel:
I am good friends with my post master. I will ask him today when I see him. But; lets learn from this an package our goodies extremely well. What coffin's are we speaking of?
Opus X

They left the BBMF in the box, but stole the El Escorpion and the Love Story
[Reply]
Blueface 11:35 AM 10-19-2009
Curious and not sure if I missed it in the thread, was there any indication at all on the package of what was contained inside?
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:40 AM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Curious and not sure if I missed it in the thread, was there any indication at all on the package of what was contained inside?
Nope. Just a good old Priority Mail box.
[Reply]
DPD6030 11:41 AM 10-19-2009
Sorry to hear about this Dan. I can tell you I worked with the postal police on one case where I used to work in a Twp. They came in and told us what they were doing and where the mail lady would be at. They had a tracking device in one of her letters. Bait, hook, line and sinker. Stopped her right in front of our PD. She had a warrant as well. Needless to say she is no longer a USPS employee. She actually fled the country to avoid prosecution! She came back and cuffs were on her at the airport. :-)

The postal police rule btw. They have all kinds of cool items.
[Reply]
Poe 11:44 AM 10-19-2009
Wow, thats crazy!
[Reply]
kaisersozei 12:32 PM 10-19-2009
This whole thing sounds bizzare, yet very interesting... I'm sorry for the hassle & for you being victimized, Dan :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 12:58 PM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Nope. Just a good old Priority Mail box.
How on this Earth could they have known what was inside?
That would mean these guys are opening up packages randomly?
What a way to risk losing a job!
Sure this isn't some type of joke?
Come on, whoever did this to the poor guy, come clean now, own up to it, all will be forgiven.:-)
[Reply]
tsolomon 01:05 PM 10-19-2009
Interesting.

Priority Mail, which is often used for shipping tobacco, is sealed against inspection. Therefore a federal search warrant or consent would be needed to open these packages. Unless the mailer voluntarily discloses that a package contains nonmailable matter, generally the only way to determine whether it contains unlawful contents is to open the package.

http://www.usps.com/communications/n...ibbons0424.htm
[Reply]
bvilchez 03:23 PM 10-19-2009
Very interesting read on the inspection needed for Priority mail.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
elderboy02 05:17 PM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by bvilchez:
Very interesting read on the inspection needed for Priority mail.
Posted via Mobile Device
Indeed it is.
[Reply]
Mindflux 01:01 PM 06-14-2010
What became of this?
[Reply]
Gophernut 01:53 PM 06-14-2010
I'm interested to find out too!:-)
[Reply]
dyieldin 01:55 PM 06-14-2010
Really, you can not leave us hanging on this!
[Reply]
shilala 02:11 PM 06-14-2010
Stuff gets mashed quite a bit.
The only thing I can figure is that the box got mashed on the belt and the stuff spilled out. Whoever recovered the box may have found the coffin and smoking tips beneath the belt and just thought it obvious they went together.
Normally they'll bag the box. Printed on the bag is the "We screwed up your stuff" message. The employee may have just been lazy and didn't bother bagging.
To assume someone "stole" two out of three coffins just doesn't make any sense at all, for about a million reasons.

In any event, it totally sucks. I used to insure everything, but I stopped. I spent so much in insurance that I could easily pay for a number of lost packages. Occasionally I do use it though, if something is exceptionally valuable and I don't want to take the hit if it gets destroyed or lost.
I hope it all works out for you guys!!! :-)
[Reply]
MichaelJ 02:55 PM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
The only thing I can figure is that the box got mashed on the belt and the stuff spilled out. Whoever recovered the box may have found the coffin and smoking tips beneath the belt and just thought it obvious they went together.
Normally they'll bag the box. Printed on the bag is the "We screwed up your stuff" message. The employee may have just been lazy and didn't bother bagging.
My thoughts exactly. I work at UPS in the mornings as a second job and I can see how this can/does happen. Not sure if the potential is there with USPS, but would assume so. Hope this turned out ok.
[Reply]
markem 02:59 PM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
To assume someone "stole" two out of three coffins just doesn't make any sense at all, for about a million reasons.
:-) I agree completely. My advice is to make sure that there are no air spaces in your package. My thinking is that if you reinforce, especially at the corners, then the package has a better chance. None of my packages have collapsed in the machinery, but it is only a matter of time, given how much I ship. Still, making sure that there are no spaces or soft spots seems like a good plan, especially since they thinned the material on the priority boxes to reduce costs.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up