Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
General Discussion>Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize - Discuss
Pilon 01:52 PM 10-09-2009
What did he do? I don't understand. Can I get one too? They should just start putting them into cracker jack boxes.
ahc4353 01:54 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
I give it 8 and a half hours. The equivalent of PBO's Senatorial experience.
What's the over/under on the total post count?
mithrilG60 02:06 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by King James:
Back on point. I do find it odd that he was President for less than 2 weeks when he was nominated. And just find it so insulting to the people he beat out (if you look @ the link above)
I don't think the issue is really how long he was or wasn't President prior to being nominated, after all the vast majority of past winners have never been President/Prime Minister/etc of their respective country. I think the real question is has he actually done anything to warrant such an honour? At this point I think the answer has to be no. He made a lot of great noise during the presidential race but so far has yet to achieve anything from his foreign policy list which would likely be the most applicable to the Nobel Peace Prize.

There's no doubt he's had a positive effect on the US' global image and personally I have great hopes that he will achieve really significant things both for the US and the rest of the world, I don't really think this is warranted yet. There should be more to winning the Nobel Peace Prize than just being perceived as better than your predecessor (especially considering the exceptionally foul odour which, deservedly or not, which most of the world saw GWB in).
md4958 02:09 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
What's the over/under on the total post count?
any action on which MOD will be the one to shut it down? Im taking Tom.
icehog3 02:30 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
any action on which MOD will be the one to shut it down? Im taking Tom.
Not a bad bet, Moe. :-)

I am amazd it has been non-political this long. I am skeptical that it will last.
mmblz 02:33 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by Obama:
To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.
But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women, and all Americans, want to build -- a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents. And I know that throughout history, the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes. And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action -- a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century.
http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/10...l-peace-prize/
timo 02:38 PM 10-09-2009
Ya gotta love the guy nobel or nonobel
Mr. Ed 02:57 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by Spitnchew:
Ya gotta love the guy nobel or nonobel
I don't know that Obama was checking anything out over there (I've ummm ermmm investigated this video many times) and it seems he was just letting the young lady pass and was looking past her. Sarkozy, on the other hand, kind of reminds me the cartoon wolf with bulging eyes and spinning bow tie :-)
Blueface 03:04 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by Sawyer:
While he is receiving awards he shouldn't, let's help him win the Heisman trophy too.

Go HERE and put him in as a write in vote.
Done!!!
I say more do the same.:-):-):-)
Attached: Picture 2.png (112.2 KB) Picture 3.jpg (14.6 KB) 
Savor the Stick 03:06 PM 10-09-2009
Obama--:-)--nope
cricky101 03:08 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by mmblz:
http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/10...l-peace-prize/
Thanks for the link. Hadn't seen that yet.
wrench turner 85 03:14 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Not a bad bet, Moe. :-)

I am amazd it has been non-political this long. I am skeptical that it will last.
IMO, I think tom, its because thers a general agrement on this with everybody thats posed. the agrement is as i quote a U.K. news papers front page today "obama wins the nobel peace pize......WTF"
ade06 03:18 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by wrench turner 85:
IMO, I think tom, its because thers a general agrement on this with everybody thats posed. the agrement is as i quote a U.K. news papers front page today "obama wins the nobel peace pize......WTF"
Or people may be holding their tounges while attempting to avoid political clashes on CA. :-)
wrench turner 85 03:19 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by ade06:
Or people may be holding their tounges while attempting to avoid political clashes on CA. :-)
maby that to
King James 03:28 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
I don't think the issue is really how long he was or wasn't President prior to being nominated, after all the vast majority of past winners have never been President/Prime Minister/etc of their respective country. I think the real question is has he actually done anything to warrant such an honour? At this point I think the answer has to be no. He made a lot of great noise during the presidential race but so far has yet to achieve anything from his foreign policy list which would likely be the most applicable to the Nobel Peace Prize.
In this case, I think time in office is worth noting, based on the reasons that they gave for given him the award. Although I would agree time in political office does not matter, in general.

And regardless of time in office, the point you raised about doing nothing to deserve it (at least yet) is an even better reason it is not his time to win.

The Nobel prize isn't going anywhere, let the guy actually accomplish something before you start throwing awards out at him. I mean there is nothing peaceful about sending 20,000+ troops to Afghanistan....so it is my opinion that there were more deserving people, at least for now.
hotreds 03:29 PM 10-09-2009
Starscream 03:32 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by jledou:
:-), but like the person or not and politics aside this is good for the global image of the United States as a whole.
I can see that viewpoint, but I'm keeping my real thoughts out of this one.
timo 03:33 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed:
I don't know that Obama was checking anything out over there (I've ummm ermmm investigated this video many times) and it seems he was just letting the young lady pass and was looking past her. Sarkozy, on the other hand, kind of reminds me the cartoon wolf with bulging eyes and spinning bow tie :-)
You study to much:-)
tsolomon 03:35 PM 10-09-2009
The award was given to a person who just happens to be the President; it doesn't depend on how long he was President, but the criteria for awarding the prize should be looked at as part of the discussion. As for me, I'm going to go home, have a beer and smoke a cigar which will bring me peace. TGIF :-)
yachties23 03:40 PM 10-09-2009
Apparently Kayne West had made a statement that Even though Obama is ok, Beyonce has done much more for peace.
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up