Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
All Cigar Discussion>Don Jose "Pepin" Garcia
Mr B 04:49 PM 08-20-2009
Originally Posted by bleedingshrimp:
THERE! Updated...and I took all the Obsidians out of my humi and threw them out the door into the rain!!!! And then I yelled after them "Imposters!!" :-):-):-):-)

:-)
[Reply]
bleedingshrimp 10:34 PM 08-21-2009
I think I like the Serie JJ out of all the one's I've tried the best. It's kind of creamy and medium but still has a nice bit of spice to it.
[Reply]
apNgb 12:26 AM 08-22-2009
here is my top 5 pepin smokes

1.) Tatuaje Reserva J21
2.) Padilla Signature 1932
3.) Los Impirialistas
4.) DPG Cuban Classic
5.) El Centurion

Honorable Mention: Everything else he makes lol
[Reply]
bleedingshrimp 12:47 AM 08-22-2009
Originally Posted by apNgb:
here is my top 5 pepin smokes

1.) Tatuaje Reserva J21
2.) Padilla Signature 1932
3.) Los Impirialistas
4.) DPG Cuban Classic
5.) El Centurion

Honorable Mention: Everything else he makes lol
I had the Padilla 1932..but I'm pretty sure it was a post Pepin one. Still really good. The Cuban Classic is a nice punchy, spicy stick.

I've never had the Tatuaje how do they stack up as far as spice and strength to the Cuban classic?
[Reply]
Steelergar 10:03 AM 08-22-2009
Top shelf Signature Select has been discontinued. Anybody know a good place to get Los Impirialistas from?
[Reply]
D_A 06:51 AM 08-25-2009
Another one to add under EO, Murcielago. Nicaraguan filler with a Mexican binder and wrapper. Cubao also comes in a maduro now.
[Reply]
joeybear 09:04 AM 08-25-2009
I think I'm only missing 3 or 4 of those :-)
[Reply]
TheRiddick 06:45 PM 08-25-2009
Originally Posted by D_A:
Another one to add under EO, Murcielago. Nicaraguan filler with a Mexican binder and wrapper. Cubao also comes in a maduro now.
I posted on these although under a different name, Veracruz. I think Murcielago is the correct name.

Also, a new limited production line called Verite, wine themed named and packaged. I just hope Kendall Jackson doesn't sue.
[Reply]
Sr Mike 11:06 PM 08-29-2009
The Series JJ has to be my favorite Pepin blend, I find those to have so much flavor that my taste buds agree with. Maybe I should go pick some up.
[Reply]
Steelergar 07:57 AM 08-30-2009
Smoked a Mi Barrio El Puro last night. I was suprised at how smooth it was as most 601's are power houses. It is also very flavorful and kind of reminded me of Oliva Masters blend 2.
[Reply]
JJG 08:32 AM 08-30-2009
I've found the black label 601s to be incredibly smooth but also full flavored. Don't let the word "mild" scare you.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:57 AM 08-30-2009
Originally Posted by JJG:
I've found the black label 601s to be incredibly smooth but also full flavored. Don't let the word "mild" scare you.
All the 601's have the same filler but have different wrappers. I wouldn't consider the black label to be mild but a full bodied cigar like the others. The conn wrapper gives it a little more creaminess but shouldn't influence the strengh.
[Reply]
JJG 11:59 AM 08-30-2009
:-) that's good to know. The red labels used to be the only NC cigars I would buy. The green label was one of my biggest disappointments though because I bought the most beautiful perfecto I had ever seen, (literally..gorgeous) but the flavor just didn't do it for me. Probably a little unfair because my expectations were in the stratosphere based on looks alone. I have yet to try the blue but from what I hear, they are great as well.

All told, I think the 601 is just a great line. Some wrappers may blend better than others but overall they have something special to be proud of.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 12:30 PM 08-30-2009
Now that I have had 2 5 Vegas Miamis, back to back, never had any before, I am pretty sure they are not MADE by Pepin, simply poor construction (too loose a draw on the first one and too tight a draw on second) for a Pepin controlled factory.

Of the 601 lines, and they are my favorite Pepin blends so far, the Red one is by far my preference. I was as "disappointed" with the Green as poster above, still trying to make up my mind on Blue.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:35 PM 08-30-2009
Originally Posted by JJG:
:-) that's good to know. The red labels used to be the only NC cigars I would buy. The green label was one of my biggest disappointments though because I bought the most beautiful perfecto I had ever seen, (literally..gorgeous) but the flavor just didn't do it for me. Probably a little unfair because my expectations were in the stratosphere based on looks alone. I have yet to try the blue but from what I hear, they are great as well.

All told, I think the 601 is just a great line. Some wrappers may blend better than others but overall they have something special to be proud of.
I agree. The green didn't do anything for me and the red is my favorite. The corojo wrapper is perfect for the blend, imo. I am also not a big fan of the blue. If I want a Pepin maduro, I go after the JJ Maduro or the Cabaiguan maduro's.
[Reply]
Titan410 03:42 PM 08-30-2009
Blue, Black, JJ, Cabaiguan - Love em! Thanks for the list, it gives me more of his sticks to try.
[Reply]
Steelergar 08:31 PM 08-30-2009
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
Now that I have had 2 5 Vegas Miamis, back to back, never had any before, I am pretty sure they are not MADE by Pepin, simply poor construction (too loose a draw on the first one and too tight a draw on second) for a Pepin controlled factory.
5 vegas Miami petite coronas are my go to short smoke. I smoke em till they burn my fingers. I' m looking at their box and it say Tabacalera Garcia right on it. I'm sure they are rolled by the least experienced rollers except for maybee the torpedo. The only Vitolas I've tried are the petite corona and torpedo and I love them.
For the 601's I love the red and blue. The black is a very strange smoke and the greens are on my to try list.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 08:42 PM 08-30-2009
Interesting how people's taste vary. I love many of the Pepin blends. Of all of them the 601 Greens, the 5 Vegas Miami toros, Tat Noellas, and the Blue corona gordas are my go to NCs. Others in his stable I like... those I love.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 10:38 PM 08-30-2009
Originally Posted by Steelergar:
I' m looking at their box and it say Tabacalera Garcia right on it.
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...47,147,00.html

Tabacalera Garcia has nothing to do with Pepin. I just wish CI didn't play it fast and loose with consumers' minds and money.

I just had another Miami Knuckle tonight, so far 3 different experiences with 3 cigars: construction lacks one way or another, the burn is uneven on all 3, the taste varies wildly as well from a mild to medium and nutty in flavor to full bodied and spicy. There is no way Pepin had anything to do with these save for the original blend and actually, looking at how the blend tastes so different in 3 cigars from same 6 pack, I doubt they use consistently same blend components Pepin originally settled on, the first cigar looked and smoked like a Honduran tobacco in every way.

Anyway, smoke them if you like them, just let's stop referring to these as Pepin made products, they simply cannot be based on construction and blend inconsistency.
[Reply]
Steelergar 11:55 PM 08-30-2009
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
[url]http://www.cigaraficionado.com/C

Tabacalera Garcia has nothing to do with Pepin. I just wish CI didn't play it fast and loose with consumers' minds and money.

Anyway, smoke them if you like them, just let's stop referring to these as Pepin made products, they simply cannot be based on construction and blend inconsistency.
Trust me they are made by Pepin. The factory in that article is Tabalerade de Garcia owned by Atladis based out of Dominican Republic. Pepin owns 3 factories now, El Rey de La Habanos, Tacuba with Fernandez and Tabacalera Garcia which was created for their My Father brand that uses their own tobacco. Tabalerade de Garcia had a law suite against Pepin because their names are similar. In June of 2009 Pepin decided to change the name of his factory to My Father Cigars. The box I have says made in Nicaragua, is constructed the same as a DPG black box from 2006 and has the same usage of # codes on the bottom. Try a different vitola.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up