Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
All Cigar Discussion>Ban on tobacco urged in military
Sauer Grapes 04:50 PM 07-10-2009
Is a carpet bagger a new yorker? I'm neither a southerner or a yankee, but from what I understand you folks in NC have had A LOT of yankees moving down to your state.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 04:58 PM 07-10-2009
Their reasoning is that it costs the Fed. Gov. a lot of money to treat smoking related illness.

By that reasoning they should ban ALL federal employees from using tobacco products. Easier to deny payment for tobacco related illness.

Oh, I forgot. Reasoning? Hahahahaha!
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 05:52 PM 07-10-2009
My wife and I have discussed selling our house and moving to Costa Rica... seriously.

This kind of stuff just rips the heart out of me - not just the smoking, but the incremental loss of freedoms and strangling grip of government wrapping firmly around the throats of American citizens. :-)
[Reply]
Flat4boxer 06:11 PM 07-10-2009
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
My wife and I have discussed selling our house and moving to Costa Rica... seriously.

This kind of stuff just rips the heart out of me - not just the smoking, but the incremental loss of freedoms and strangling grip of government wrapping firmly around the throats of American citizens. :-)
I hear ya Joe :-) It's getting pathetic.
[Reply]
Aldebaran 07:31 PM 07-10-2009
I see a lot of bashing on liberals in this thread but I'd like to point out a lot of the recent legislature has been passed with tons of conservative, republcan, and even some centrist support.
[Reply]
Dunkel 07:56 PM 07-10-2009
This is typical governmental head up the rectum thinking. The men and women who fight for our freedoms are going to be denied a freedom as basic as enjoying a tobacco product? Welcome to Nazi Germany 2.0
[Reply]
macms 08:01 PM 07-10-2009
If this comes to pass I will be a criminal. :-)

(Proud member of the vast Right Wing Conspiracy.) :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:02 PM 07-10-2009
Originally Posted by macms:
If this comes to pass I will be a criminal. :-)

(Proud member of the vast Right Wing Conspiracy.) :-)
Fred the "Outlaw"!!!
[Reply]
Flat4boxer 08:04 PM 07-10-2009
Originally Posted by Aldebaran:
I see a lot of bashing on liberals in this thread but I'd like to point out a lot of the recent legislature has been passed with tons of conservative, republcan, and even some centrist support.

You can't have "tons" of "conservative, republican and even some centrist support" from a democratically controlled house and senate.

The numbers just don't support "tons". You might get away with "one or two jumping ship" but not "tons". :-)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 08:06 PM 07-10-2009
:-)
[Reply]
mikeyj23 08:32 PM 07-10-2009
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
[Reply]
tobii3 08:45 PM 07-10-2009
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
Their reasoning is that it costs the Fed. Gov. a lot of money to treat smoking related illness.
Absolutely.

And obesity is an ""epidemic"" -

•63% of Americans are overweight with a BMI in excess of 25.0
•31% are obese with a BMI in excess of 30.0
•Childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past two decades
Obesity is responsible for 300,000 deaths every year.

Ever notice that 90 people got the swine flu and EVERYBODY was wearing masks???

Talk about retarded.
[Reply]
hornitosmonster 08:59 PM 07-10-2009
Not bashing liberals...bashing the slow erosion of our rights. The USA was turning into a Nanny state long before Obama...

I do not think any of us can say that this is the same USA of our childhood...
[Reply]
Aldebaran 09:20 PM 07-10-2009
Originally Posted by Flat4boxer:
You can't have "tons" of "conservative, republican and even some centrist support" from a democratically controlled house and senate.

The numbers just don't support "tons". You might get away with "one or two jumping ship" but not "tons". :-)
Tons in this instance is not indicative of majority of the entire political spectrum but rather enough to oppose an argument that it is always "liberals" that are blocking or impeding smoking freedoms.

I mean on the S-CHIP bill one quarters of republicans voted for and the other three quarters werent always against the principle of the bill but rather the extremity of it. This isnt the case for the Senate though in that particular vote.

The FDA being able to regulate tobacco was passed 79 for 17 against. If we were to assume that the then 59 democrats voted for it then , a majority of the Republican Senate was still in favor of it.

For example Utah a majoirty republican state passes anti-smoking law, same with my state Arizona.

I'm not liberal at all, but it just irks me when I see pointless namecalling, pigeonholing and general ignorance of a subject. If you really want to smoke in peace you are going to have to know your enemy and not just assume who they are.

In fact I would say recent lobbying has more of an impact on anti-tobacco law than liberals.

edit

I wrote this a bit hastily, so sorry for any incoherence.
[Reply]
Starscream 09:30 PM 07-10-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Is a carpet bagger a new yorker? I'm neither a southerner or a yankee, but from what I understand you folks in NC have had A LOT of yankees moving down to your state.
New Yorkers or Yankees in general.

I didn't mean to turn this political, but most true Southerners are conservative in their politics, while most Yankees are Liberal in their politics. Not stereotyping anyone or trying to start a political debate. But most country folk are pro-gun, pro-smoking, while many yankees (big city ones) are anti-gun, anti-smoking.

Big city people vs. country people. This is the true TWO AMERICAS.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 10:29 PM 07-10-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
New Yorkers or Yankees in general.

I didn't mean to turn this political, but most true Southerners are conservative in their politics, while most Yankees are Liberal in their politics. Not stereotyping anyone or trying to start a political debate. But most country folk are pro-gun, pro-smoking, while many yankees (big city ones) are anti-gun, anti-smoking.

Big city people vs. country people. This is the true TWO AMERICAS.
And there's a lot of people living in New York who say "how'd I get surrounded by fools?" on a day to day basis.

[Reply]
Jimbo14 12:22 AM 07-11-2009
Originally Posted by ade06:
I think it's crazy to prevent anyone that is willing to die for our country from using any legal product. Next thing to ban will be all of those sports cars and motorcycles those young military guys are buying. Don't they know those things are dangerous!
Good point. Goverments are treating adults like children. We know the risks and are willing to take them.

So the idea is a soilder after spending a week on the front line, returning to the green zone cant light up a cigar to relaxing and reflect on being ALIVE!

What a joke.
[Reply]
Steelergar 01:39 AM 07-11-2009
What would Churchill say about this?
[Reply]
troutbreath 06:22 AM 07-11-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
I'd think that from a health-conscious standpoint, it'd be highly more advantageous to work on banning being shot at.I still can't even believe it.
"Boys, drive down that road there and get blown up, but for God's sake, don't smoke. It'll kill ya."

Bingo!! Unless they are planning on converting the military into an accounting agency, this is ridiculous. Personally, I'm all for giving our fighting men and women anything they need to be comfortable while they defend our interests.

God bless you all.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:57 AM 07-11-2009
Originally Posted by troutbreath:
Bingo!! Unless they are planning on converting the military into an accounting agency, this is ridiculous. Personally, I'm all for giving our fighting men and women anything they need to be comfortable while they defend our interests.

God bless you all.
:-)+1
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up