Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>"Yellow Band" Dominican 'Cohiba'???
mscales 06:26 PM 01-02-2011
My first Mexico cruise taken in 2003 we were warned about buying name brand cigars including Cubans and Cohibas. Prices were not to bad if htey were real but it was obviouse in some shops that the boxes were used over and over and if you wanted to buy a box they were alwasys opened. Prices were about $20 a stick.

My last Mexico cruise, January of 2010, the prices were $40 a stick for a yellow band Cohiba and the same with boxes. Nobody had a unopened box, not that I was going to buy one, but all the premium cigars I saw were way over priced from what I can buy here online. I am glad I take my own stash with me.

The warning we got on our fitst cruise was most all Cohibas we would see were fakes. Printers are cheap so reproducing a Cohiba band is easy and can turn a nice $2 cigar into a nice $20-$40 cigar just waiting for a tourist to buy. After looking closely ar packaging it even looked like some places were wrapping their own boxes as well as bands. Last years cruise I found most of teh Mexican made cigars to as much or more then name brands. Needless to say, I didn't buy any cigars on those cruises and I couldn't even find much in teh way of a humidor or cigar ashtrays ofered for sale.
[Reply]
johnpalley 06:38 PM 01-02-2011
as someone was saying earlier these yellow band Dominican Cohibas arent fake cubans or knock offs. they say made in the dominican republic right on the box, they just have the right to use the cohiba name but they cant sell cigars in the u.s. from the research ive done the name of the company that makes them is monti cristi located in the dr. just to add the ones my friend bought in the dr were real cheap. $10 for 10 cigars, 32 ring. i wish there was a way i can get a 500 cigar box of these
[Reply]
icehog3 09:15 PM 01-02-2011
I see you asked all these questions in November and mid-December at a site I used to be a moderator on, John. I saw you got several answers and some suggestions there.
[Reply]
Ismith75 09:25 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by johnpalley:
these are cigars i recently ordered. this is my first cigar order ever to try to hunt down a similar cigar. at the same time though im searching for stuff i might like

1. Montecristo - White - Prontos Petite - Natural - 4" x 33 Tins of 10
2. Sancho Panza - Honduran - Matadors - Natural - 4" x 24 Tin of 10
3. Arturo Fuente - Gran Reserva - Exquisitos - Sun Grown - 4" x 30
4. Arturo Fuente - Gran Reserva - Exquisitos - Maduro - 4" x 30 Single
5. Padron - Classic - Corticos - Natural - 4 1/4" x 35 Tin of 6
6. CAO - Flavours - Moontrance - Tubos - Natural - 4 3/4" x 30 Single
7. CAO - L`Anniversaire Cameroon - Cigarillos - Natural - 4" x 30 -10
8. CAO - L`Anniversaire Maduro - Cigarillos - Maduro - 4" x 30Tin of10
9. CAO - Flavours - Caramelo Joe - Tubos - Natural - 4 3/4" x 30 Single
10. Tatiana - Dolce - Chocolate - Natural - 5" x 30 Single
11. Partagas - Classic - Puritos - Natural - 4 3/16" x 32 Tin of 10
12. Ashton - Classic - Esquire - Maduro - 4 1/2" x 32 Tin of 10
13. Ashton - Classic - Esquire - Natural - 4 1/2" x 32 Tin of 10
14. 601 - Habano - Guapito - Natural - 4" x 32 Single
15. Tatuaje - Cabaiguan - Petites - Natural - 4 1/2" x 32 Single
16. Zino - Platinum Scepter - XS - Natural - 4" x 30 Tin of 10
17. La Flor Dominicana - Little Cigars - Mojitos - Natural -4" x30Tinof 10
18. Don Pepin - Don Pepin Blue Label - Demi Tasse - Natural 4 1/2" x32
19. La Gloria Cubana - Classic - Glorias Petit - Maduro - 4 5/16" x 32
20. La Gloria Cubana - Classic - Glorias Petit - Natural - 4 5/16" x 32
21. Oliva - Serie G - Cigarillos - Natural - 4" x 38 Tin of 5
22. Carlos Torano - Exodus 1959 - Cigarillos - Natural - 4 1/8" x 30
23. H Upmann - Classic - Demi Tasse 5 Pack - Natural - 4 1/2" x 33

ive smoked both ashtons, Sancho Panza, the motecristo whites, the oliva Serie G and the padron corticos and none of these are coming close to the yellow bands. i still got alot more to smoke but this has me worried that im not gonna be able to find something i like as much. ive also got a list of another 25 types im gonna order in the future
Your best bet I would imagine would be to stick with the Dominican's if you're searching for a similar profile. Fuente's might come close, same with the Dominican Monte's. Try Macanudo, La Aurora and Vegafina as well, especially if you're relatively new to cigars. Most of the cigars you listed are either Honduran or Nicaraguan I believe :-)
[Reply]
johnpalley 10:24 PM 01-02-2011
thanks alot ismith!, what kind of monte's do you recommend? i thought the whites were absolutely horrible. that made me want to never buy a monte again. i got about 30 more types of cigars im gonna buy after i get a humidor. im gonna list them in a few just so you guys know. ive got them all bookmarked in my browser. hopefully after spending $500-$600 on cigars il find something i like to permanently smoke
[Reply]
johnpalley 10:35 PM 01-02-2011
Montecristo Original Habanitos
CAO Gold Karats
La Aurora Finos 5/10 Cigars
Macanudo Classic Claybourne Cafe
Gispert Classic Cortos
Romeo y Julieta Habana Reserve Amores
Romeo y Julieta 1875 Romeos
Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Minutos Petites
Illusione Cuchillos Cubanos 32 Cigarillo
La Aroma De Cuba Classic Interlude
Cuesta Rey Centenario Coleccion Cameo
Onyx Reserve Impulse
Graycliff Chateau Grand Cru Scooter (if i can find them cheap on cbid)
Davidoff Classic Primeros
Macanudo Maduro Ascot 10/10 Cigars - Maduro Pack of 100
La Gloria Cubana Serie R Pequenos
perdomo Habanitos Maduro
Drew Estate Natural Jucy Lucy
5 Vegas Classic Panatela
Cohiba Black Pequenos
Cohiba Red Dot Pequenos
Vega Fina Classic No. 5

this is my next order so far guys. if anyone has any more recommendations feel free to mention them. i wanted to try to let this be my last order so i dont have to do a bunch more small orders every time i find out about something new. as you can see im serious about finding a good cigar
[Reply]
icehog3 10:44 PM 01-02-2011
I love cigars because I can smoke a different cigar every day for months and not repeat the same one. Yes, I have pared it down and knocked many off the radar...but why would you want to find ONE cigar to smoke for the rest of your life when there are so many wonderful ones out there? :-)
[Reply]
johnpalley 10:45 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I see you asked all these questions in November and mid-December at a site I used to be a moderator on, John. I saw you got several answers and some suggestions there.
yes sir! im huntin down cigars untill i find what im lookin for. i dont smoke cigars that often so its gonna take a little while
[Reply]
pnoon 10:47 PM 01-02-2011
yes sir! im huntin down cigars untill i find what im lookin for. i dont smoke cigars that often so its gonna take a little while
If you are looking for one cigar that will be close to or identical to another, I am afraid you are doomed to fail. One of the joys and pleasures of this hobby/obsession is the variety it offers us.
[Reply]
johnpalley 10:48 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I love cigars because I can smoke a different cigar every day for months and not repeat the same one. Yes, I have pared it down and knocked many off the radar...but why would you want to find ONE cigar to smoke for the rest of your life when there are so many wonderful ones out there? :-)
im just hoping i find at least 1. the more types the better, im just a picky person. if i end up finding 5-10 types of cigars i like il get a big box of each to keep in the humidor and sit on them and smoke them for years
[Reply]
icehog3 10:50 PM 01-02-2011
im just hoping i find at least 1. the more types the better, im just a picky person. if i end up finding 5-10 types of cigars i like il get a big box of each to keep in the humidor and sit on them and smoke them for years
Fair enough. :-)
[Reply]
johnpalley 10:51 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
If you are looking for one cigar that will be close to or identical to another, I am afraid you are doomed to fail. One of the joys and pleasures of this hobby/obsession is the variety it offers us.
im gonna try anyway. worst case scenario is i find something else i like
[Reply]
pnoon 10:53 PM 01-02-2011
im gonna try anyway. worst case scenario is i find something else i like
I hope you do.
[Reply]
johnpalley 10:56 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I hope you do.
thanks, im tryin hard, as you can see im about to have like 50 different types of cigars to test out. lol no playin around
[Reply]
Ismith75 11:24 PM 01-02-2011
thanks alot ismith!, what kind of monte's do you recommend? i thought the whites were absolutely horrible. that made me want to never buy a monte again. i got about 30 more types of cigars im gonna buy after i get a humidor. im gonna list them in a few just so you guys know. ive got them all bookmarked in my browser. hopefully after spending $500-$600 on cigars il find something i like to permanently smoke
Couldn't tell ya, I don't smoke many Monte's...NC or CC. Just keep trying new things and odds are you'll find something you like...the cigar world enormous. Keep an open mind and try to enjoy the cigar for what it is and not what you want it to be. :-)
[Reply]
johnpalley 11:26 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by Ismith75:
Couldn't tell ya, I don't smoke many Monte's...NC or CC. Just keep trying new things and odds are you'll find something you like...the cigar world enormous. Keep an open mind and try to enjoy the cigar for what it is and not what you want it to be. :-)
thanks!
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up