Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
General Discussion>GM vehicle? Not me.
Tombstone 12:18 PM 03-30-2009
Originally Posted by rizzle:
If you want a Vette, buy it. GM isn't going away, even if they go bankrupt. The govt. has already said they will back the warranty.
Just like social security.:-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 12:19 PM 03-30-2009
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
Mighty fine truck :-) I want to do the tarp conversion to mine:-)
Well, it is a fairly expensive modification. Are you sure you can afford it :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 12:36 PM 03-30-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
Well, it is a fairly expensive modification. Are you sure you can afford it :-)
:-) no it is only a dream
[Reply]
Junior 01:03 PM 03-30-2009
I'll stick to my Kentucky built truck :-)
I will stick with my Wisconsin built SUV.

Has any one looked at SUV's lately. I went to buy a Yukon the other night that would have sold for $6,000 a couple months ago, and it opened at $8,400 sold at $9,700.

I really think the UAW is responsible for a lot of the big 3's problems. I live 30 miles from where they build the Corvette. A majority if not all of the workers at the plant are transfers. As long as I can remember I don't think they have hired locally with the exception of a few temp jobs.
[Reply]
loki 02:03 PM 03-30-2009
Originally Posted by Junior:
. I live 30 miles from where they build the Corvette. A majority if not all of the workers at the plant are transfers. As long as I can remember I don't think they have hired locally with the exception of a few temp jobs.
the majority of the people who work on the vette are picked out of other plants due to exceptional performance from what i was told
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 02:06 PM 03-30-2009
Originally Posted by loki:
the majority of the people who work on the vette are picked out of other plants due to exceptional performance from what i was told
:-) Oh! The jokes that could start. :-)
[Reply]
Junior 02:12 PM 03-30-2009
It just bothers me because when they relocated to Bowling Green they talked about how many new jobs they would create. It just bugs me that the jobs are created for people from other states, and towns. I know they pay taxes, buy houses and contribute to the community, but it would be nice if some local people could work there. I grew up with a lot of kids that came in with the Corvette plant they are fine people, but they can’t even get jobs there.

One good thing about the relocation is that my wife’s family moved here from Michigan.
[Reply]
forgop 02:26 PM 03-30-2009
I don't know that anyone is "anti-worker". Last I knew, most people do have to work for a living.

The UAW has crippled GM/Ford/Chrysler for far too long. Anyone that has ever worked in a UAW plant (I've been "priveleged" enough to work in 3 different UAW plants) knows how much bureaucracy it is to get anything done. Complain about how it's management's fault for signing the agreements all you want, but given the threat of strikes and the other practices by the UAW, they have no choice but to give in on some issues.

I think the way our goverment has allowed companies to ship manufacturing plants across the border is horrible. You don't see anyone cutting their prices on these vehicles when they're paying the workers $100k less per year. Just like the current administration felt the need to take away the incentive for AIG bonuses with a 90% tax, I think something like it should have been done bringing the overprice hunks of junk as it was. Sure, they wouldn't have been able to compete with foreign competition, but it would have forced the issue a decade ago in terms of lowering their costs across the board.

FWIW-my dad was in the UAW for 34 years and retired as a pipefitter from a GM plant in Indiana.
[Reply]
Junior 02:48 PM 03-30-2009
I have seen GM do some dumb things in my life. I worked for a trucking company the hauled a lot of GM freight, and they ship all over the place. We would take oil pans and valve covers from Glasgow, KY all the way to St Catharine’s Ontario where they built the engines for the Corvettes. We would pick up the engines later. We also had a run that had the stops around Toronto one in Buffalo then went to a plant in Alabama. Where they turned around and built the part to be shipped back to Detroit. They would haul transmission parts from North Carolina to Texas then to Bowling Green KY. The Corvette wheels were shipped from somewhere I can’t remember, but they went to California to Mexico to be polished then back to Columbia TN for tires which came in from Norman Oklahoma then to Bowling Green. You would think that they could find places closer to built there parts instead of shipping one part 1000 miles one way to be assembled then shipped another 800 miles back to put in the cars. Also a lot of the time the trucks come back with dunnage (plastic bins that the parts are shipped in) instead of turning a load out of the same plant that was going back to the same city.

I also had a driver banned from a plant outside of Detroit. The forklift operator was backing out of the trailer unloading the last piece of the load got to the rear of the trailer all the way to the dock plate sits then the break whistle blew, and he hopped off the forklift and went off to lunch. It may not seem like a big deal for a driver to have to wait for 45 minutes, but that means he probably will have to miss out on a meal and hot shower because of it. The driver did what I would have done; he backed the forklift up about 10 feet, and left.

Sorry I rambled on, and understand me I drive a Chevrolet Tahoe, and come from a Bowtie family. I will step down from my soap box now.
[Reply]
loki 02:52 PM 03-30-2009
Originally Posted by Junior:
It just bothers me because when they relocated to Bowling Green they talked about how many new jobs they would create. It just bugs me that the jobs are created for people from other states, and towns. I know they pay taxes, buy houses and contribute to the community, but it would be nice if some local people could work there. I grew up with a lot of kids that came in with the Corvette plant they are fine people, but they can’t even get jobs there.

One good thing about the relocation is that my wife’s family moved here from Michigan.
not to get off subject but where around that area are you? I haven't been there for years but i used to come down every may for the gathering
[Reply]
shilala 03:25 PM 03-30-2009
my luck I would just bounce :-)

keep them there :-):-)
After I die from throwing myself off the building, I'm going to invite the UAW over to pee on me.
[Reply]
floydp 03:55 PM 03-30-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
:-)

Sweet ride man.
[Reply]
Diesel Kinevel 04:45 PM 03-30-2009
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
Ford took no bailout money.
That is because Ford is awesome:-)
[Reply]
c2000 07:26 PM 03-30-2009
Originally Posted by rizzle:
If you want a Vette, buy it. GM isn't going away, even if they go bankrupt. The govt. has already said they will back the warranty.
Right on.. If you really want a vette bad,,log on to corvette forum.com and look for C6 for sale..There are people wanting to bail on the payments and you can get a cherry ZO6 or regular C6 for a great price.

Jerry in Minnesota.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:49 PM 03-30-2009
Can anyone tell me how Mr. Obama can make the decision to back the warranty of GM if they fnck it up royally? Seriously? He wants the "Gummint" (read: ME) to back a warranty of a company he wants to bankroll and fluff, while Ford isn't taking money? I only caught parts of his UAW pimp speech today, and it is probably good I was distracted, or I would have blown my skull.

The aforementioned was written by a person who has a couple or so decades in working for Chevrolet/Chrysler dealerships and other connections to the auto industry.

Yeah, let's think of another hundred thousand ways to spend millions to piss down the toilet to create nonexistent "jobs" for industries that should have allowed themselves to become part of the latest few decades, rather than ......

<grumbles>

Screw it.
[Reply]
darb85 08:16 PM 03-30-2009
Ok just an FYI on GMs product plans:

Keep:

Chevy, Pontiac(speciality line) Saturn(likely rebranded Opel) Buick, Cadillac

Gone:
GMC(Consumer Vehicles only, Commercial will remain, Chevy will lose thier Commercial line) Hummer, Saab

Chevy will keep most of its line. Impala is becoming RWD. Volt Comes back, Camaro Is back. Possible Kappa Platform car. Malibu will stay. Silverado will stay in all trims. Gone will be commercial vehicles, all will be badged as GMCs. Suburban and tahoe will remain. HHR and Cobalt(new Models coming) Equinox is iffy. Traverse Will remain

Pontiac will Lose: G3, G5, Torrent Keep G8 G6 Vibe and Solstice

Saturn has fresh Model group. wont lose any models but indications are it will be rebaged Opel(the cars are Opels rebranded anyways)

Buick should keep full line, High Perfomance cars(supers) are gone Look for Redesigned RWD sedan

Cadillac no changes for the most part

GMC will lose all non commercial vehicles

Hummer is completly gone

Saab is being sold

Now, all this will be for not if the union doesnt give up some stuff like life long benifits, Job bank etc.

I am a little pissed that they fired Wagoneer. Hes responsible for some of the best cars getting green lighted by GM. Solstice, Volt, Malibu, Lacrosse, CTS

meh. Hope it gets sorted.
[Reply]
JaKaacH 08:25 PM 03-30-2009
Chevrolet, GMC (maybe even drop this...not sure), Pontiac, Saturn, Cadillac, Hummer (h1 only),

these are the lines I would keep if I was running the show. When was the last time you saw a buick made in the past 5 years on the road?
Today.
[Reply]
darb85 08:29 PM 03-30-2009
Originally Posted by JaKaacH:
Today.
agreed. Buick, while not popular is an awesome car and I see 5 year old ones out all the time. the problem is, the models they have right now are pushing 5-7 years old, so you cant tell...
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 08:29 PM 03-30-2009
Originally Posted by darb85:

Keep:

Chevy, Pontiac(speciality line) Saturn(likely rebranded Opel) Buick, Cadillac

Gone:
GMC(Consumer Vehicles only, Commercial will remain, Chevy will lose thier Commercial line) Hummer, Saab

Chevy will keep most of its line. Impala is becoming RWD. Volt Comes back, Camaro Is back. Possible Kappa Platform car. Malibu will stay. Silverado will stay in all trims. Gone will be commercial vehicles, all will be badged as GMCs. Suburban and tahoe will remain. HHR and Cobalt(new Models coming) Equinox is iffy. Traverse Will remain

Pontiac will Lose: G3, G5, Torrent Keep G8 G6 Vibe and Solstice

Saturn has fresh Model group. wont lose any models but indications are it will be rebaged Opel(the cars are Opels rebranded anyways)

Buick should keep full line, High Perfomance cars(supers) are gone Look for Redesigned RWD sedan

Cadillac no changes for the most part

GMC will lose all non commercial vehicles

Hummer is completly gone

Saab is being sold

Now, all this will be for not if the union doesnt give up some stuff like life long benifits, Job bank etc.

I am a little pissed that they fired Wagoneer. Hes responsible for some of the best cars getting green lighted by GM. Solstice, Volt, Malibu, Lacrosse, CTS

I agree with most of your ideas on what to keep and what to lose
[Reply]
Junior 08:40 AM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by darb85:

Keep:

Gone:

I will have to disagree with you on the GMC Yukon part. I personally think that the GMCs have a better interior than the Tahoe. As far as the Equinox I think it should be gone, and keep the Trailblazer.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up