Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Sports>Packers Advance To Round Two
RevSmoke 05:46 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Stephen:
Hawk wasn't even a starter at the beginning of the season and is only in there due to the rash of injuries the linebacker corps has endured. He's been, "decent" but by all means not, "good." Why would I want Lynch you ask? Well, I guess it'd be nice if our quarterback wasn't the teams leading rushing in a quarter of the games this season and actually have a threat of a running game to ease a little pressure off of the passing game (if anything, it goes to show how great the passing game has been this year knowing that they're going to throw and still have the ability for the most part to execute).
You are right, he wasn't a "starter" at the beginning of the season. And, he may be there because of a rash of injuries. But he's been more than decent. In fact, he's been the defensive team captain for better than half of the season.

Do we need a running back? Yes! Would it have been worth Lynch to lose Hawk? No, not by a far sight!

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
Stephen 11:29 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
You are right, he wasn't a "starter" at the beginning of the season. And, he may be there because of a rash of injuries. But he's been more than decent. In fact, he's been the defensive team captain for better than half of the season.

Do we need a running back? Yes! Would it have been worth Lynch to lose Hawk? No, not by a far sight!

I guess I look at it like this: I'd be surprised if he's around next season anyways (is due to make 10 million next season, and the Packers have given both Chillar and Bishop contract extensions); at least the Packers would've gotten something for him instead of a wasted top five pick (IMO). Not trying to sound snarky here so please don't take it as such, but Hawk's been a huge disappointment and the opportunity was there for us to shore up a position of need and it didn't happen. Maybe if the Chillar/Barnett/Jones don't hit the IR we're not even having this discussion. Who knows...
[Reply]
RevSmoke 03:53 PM 01-11-2011
I guess I look at it like this: I'd be surprised if he's around next season anyways (is due to make 10 million next season, and the Packers have given both Chillar and Bishop contract extensions); at least the Packers would've gotten something for him instead of a wasted top five pick (IMO). Not trying to sound snarky here so please don't take it as such, but Hawk's been a huge disappointment and the opportunity was there for us to shore up a position of need and it didn't happen. Maybe if the Chillar/Barnett/Jones don't hit the IR we're not even having this discussion. Who knows...
I am not trying to sound snarky either - so please don't take it that way.

I guess I am not as disappointed with Hawk as you are. I was last year, but decided to go and take a look at the stats. If you look at his numbers and consider the impact he's had this year, I am thoroughly impressed. In this 2010 season he led the team in total tackles at (111), 3rd in solo tackles (72), .5 sacks, but had 3 interceptions. Those are respectale numbers.

As I said, his performance last year left me a bit disappointed, but when I went to look up those stats, I was shocked, for I learned that in 2009 he was 2nd in total tackles (89) and 2nd in solo tackles (67), had 2 sacks, and 1 interception. Why was it such a bad year? Maybe the better question is, why did I think he'd had such a bad year?

I figured I'd look up all his seasons and check out his stats.

So, in 2008, he was 1st in total tackles (86) and 1st in solo tackles (67) and 3 sacks.

In 2007 he was 2nd in total tackles (105) and 2nd in solo tackles (78) with 1 sack, 1 fumble recovery, and 1 interception.

In 2006. he was 1st in total tackes (120), 1st in solo tackles (83), had 3.5 sacks, 1 fumble recovery, and 2 interceptions.

Seems to me that this 2010 season wasn't so bad, he never really had a great season in regard to sacks, 2010 was his best year for interceptions, and the number of tackles he had this year is a solid performance. He was made defensive team captain this season. I guess I'd like to know why he's such a disappointment.

[Reply]
Stephen 04:42 PM 01-11-2011
I am not trying to sound snarky either - so please don't take it that way.

I guess I am not as disappointed with Hawk as you are. I was last year, but decided to go and take a look at the stats. If you look at his numbers and consider the impact he's had this year, I am thoroughly impressed. In this 2010 season he led the team in total tackles at (111), 3rd in solo tackles (72), .5 sacks, but had 3 interceptions. Those are respectale numbers.

As I said, his performance last year left me a bit disappointed, but when I went to look up those stats, I was shocked, for I learned that in 2009 he was 2nd in total tackles (89) and 2nd in solo tackles (67), had 2 sacks, and 1 interception. Why was it such a bad year? Maybe the better question is, why did I think he'd had such a bad year?

I figured I'd look up all his seasons and check out his stats.

So, in 2008, he was 1st in total tackles (86) and 1st in solo tackles (67) and 3 sacks.

In 2007 he was 2nd in total tackles (105) and 2nd in solo tackles (78) with 1 sack, 1 fumble recovery, and 1 interception.

In 2006. he was 1st in total tackes (120), 1st in solo tackles (83), had 3.5 sacks, 1 fumble recovery, and 2 interceptions.

Seems to me that this 2010 season wasn't so bad, he never really had a great season in regard to sacks, 2010 was his best year for interceptions, and the number of tackles he had this year is a solid performance. He was made defensive team captain this season. I guess I'd like to know why he's such a disappointment.

1st of all, you're fine. I'm the new guy here and just wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to convey myself as a horse's behind.:-)

Remember Donnie Edwards? He was an inside linebacker for the Chiefs/Chargers. Dude always racked up tons of tackles every season. Thing is, he was always making them 5-10 yards downfield because he took horrible angles, and couldn't shed initial blocks. I see the same thing with AJ Hawk. Looks good on a stat sheet, looks terrible on the field. He doesn't meet the runner, he lets the runner come to him. He is big and athletic, which is frustrating because he has all the physical tools to be a pro bowler. The thing that gets me is that when he entered the draft, we were told how cerebral he was in addition to his physical stature. That's why the Packers took him with the #5 pick (I wanted them to take Haloti Ngata, but that's neither here nor there). Taking a player in the top five, you expect an impact player. Hawk is a JAG (just another guy); not an impact player. What he did this year I have no doubt that they would've gotten that from Chillar or Bishop, who wasn't taken in the top five (or the first three rounds for that matter).
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:52 PM 01-11-2011
1st of all, you're fine. I'm the new guy here and just wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to convey myself as a horse's behind.:-)

Remember Donnie Edwards? He was an inside linebacker for the Chiefs/Chargers. Dude always racked up tons of tackles every season. Thing is, he was always making them 5-10 yards downfield because he took horrible angles, and couldn't shed initial blocks. I see the same thing with AJ Hawk. Looks good on a stat sheet, looks terrible on the field. He doesn't meet the runner, he lets the runner come to him. He is big and athletic, which is frustrating because he has all the physical tools to be a pro bowler. The thing that gets me is that when he entered the draft, we were told how cerebral he was in addition to his physical stature. That's why the Packers took him with the #5 pick (I wanted them to take Haloti Ngata, but that's neither here nor there). Taking a player in the top five, you expect an impact player. Hawk is a JAG (just another guy); not an impact player. What he did this year I have no doubt that they would've gotten that from Chillar or Bishop, who wasn't taken in the top five (or the first three rounds for that matter).
You're fine too. I see some of what you're talking about, but I'm not so sure he's as bad as you're making out. He was part of the stop on the goal line against the Eagles on a couple plays - that's just a recent remembrance.

Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot. I'm not a Lnch fan.

And at this point, I just want Packer victories.

Go Pack!

[Reply]
Volusianator 06:57 PM 01-11-2011

And at this point, I just want Packer victories.

Todd, all I can say to that is "Amen"! :-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 06:58 PM 01-11-2011
Todd, I'm glad to see you and Steve are giving each other a big hug:-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:08 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Volusianator:
And all God's people should say Amen to that. :-) :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:09 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Next thing someone is going to want a big group hug in the shower tonight.

huh?

Oooops, my bad, wrong movie.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 07:13 PM 01-11-2011
Next thing someone is going to want a big group hug in the shower tonight.

huh?

Oooops, my bad, wrong movie.
:-)...Hey, gooooooooooo cheeseheads!
[Reply]
Stephen 07:25 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Volusianator:
Co-signed!:-)
[Reply]
Stephen 07:25 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Todd, I think somebody's jealous...
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 07:41 PM 01-11-2011
Todd, I think somebody's jealous...
:-)...Not!

[Reply]
Stephen 09:11 PM 03-02-2011
Well, we knew this day would come...
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up