Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>"Out Of Cigars" Cigar Band Project #1
Silound 09:35 PM 10-17-2011
I did one of these a few years ago, here's a pointer or two I learned.

To ease the pain of the process, stick anywhere from 20-50 bands flattened out in a folded piece of paper (to protect them) in a leather wallet (bi-fold works best) and carry it around with you for a day in your back pocket even. You can use your everyday wallet if you like, or carry a special one. Sit on it like you normally would, etc etc. By the end of they day, those bands will be flat like glass, and MUCH easier to glue down neatly. Be sure to place them where they lay flat in the wallet...if you put them in the fold of the wallet, they just get a mean fold to them.

Buy a rubber ink roller. Trust me, nothing flattens a band out perfectly after placing it like one of these. They're about 5 bucks at Walmart in the craft area. Just be sure to keep it clean so it doesn't stick to bands and peel them back up (you can hold one end of the band with a fingertip to keep it positioned and roll the other end flat, and switch sides).

***TEST THIS A FEW TIMES TO PERFECT IT FIRST***
(It took me about 5-6 attempts to perfect this method, but this is what I did in the long run)

Thin your glue out if you use white glue, because it's way too thick and the bands will absorb too much water while it drys. Take 3 parts white glue and 1 part warm water, mix well. Do a few test strips on a piece of cardboard or paper before you glue bands to make sure you have your consistency right. Use a cotton swab to smear a *thin* layer of glue on the back of the band (emphasis on *super thin*), place it, and flatten them out. Use an electric hair dryer set to a low heat from a moderate distance and carefully blow in circles over the area you just glued. I worked in groups of 20 bands a day, just because that's how many I could carry in my wallet :-)

The reason I eventually started using this method was to reduce the amount of moisture that the bands were exposed to by forcing it to dry and cure faster, thus the bands didn't get that "wet ripple" to them as they cured.

Personally, if I did this type of project again (it's coming soon!), I'm definitely going to research into a non-water based glue that I don't have to jump through as many hoops over to make a quality job of it.
[Reply]
falconman515 01:28 AM 10-18-2011
I'm watching this thread!

Just finished doing a clock that turned out great and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do next!

Love seeing these awesome cigar band projects
[Reply]
rickbohara 09:51 AM 01-07-2013
Jason,

This is a bit off topic, but I recently damaged my Out of the Blue poster by Karen Leeds. Would you consider parting with the copy underneath your cigar bands?

Rick
[Reply]
E.J. 10:37 AM 01-07-2013
Holy thread revival!
[Reply]
bvilchez 10:47 AM 01-07-2013
No crap!!! Looks like he did a Google search, this thread came up, and he created an account just for the poster.

My :-)
[Reply]
Bondo 287 02:54 PM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven:
By the end of the year I could probably make one of Acid rings. LOL
Don't be ashamed. My mix would be about half infused tags and half of the good ol' naturals.
:-)
[Reply]
T.G 03:13 PM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by Bondo 287:
I got a Leeds poster ! :-)

<pointless image removed>
It's not really necessary to respond to every thread with pictures. Honest.

All it's doing is cluttering up the thread with crap and making them more difficult to read, especially for mobile users.
[Reply]
Skywalker 03:32 PM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:

All it's doing is cluttering up the thread with crap and making them more difficult to read, especially for mobile users.
[Reply]
T.G 03:48 PM 01-07-2013
Hey Dice, remind me again why I like you?

It certainly isn't for the accuracy of your research. Must be the beer.

[Reply]
Skywalker 03:51 PM 01-07-2013
Hey Dice, remind me again why I like you?

It certainly isn't for the accuracy of your research. Must be the beer.

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Robulous78 03:53 PM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
Here's the biggest I could get master 2:

With your permission... I would like to use this as my computer desktop...
[Reply]
Bondo 287 05:15 PM 01-07-2013

Dude, I deleted that entire post myself almost immediately when I saw how huge that image was. Did you really recreate that post to state the obvious ?
[Reply]
T.G 05:27 PM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by Bondo 287:
Dude, I deleted that entire post myself almost immediately when I saw how huge that image was. Did you really recreate that post to state the obvious ?
Recreate? No, I had quoted your post and edited out the image before you deleted it.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up