Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>real or psychosematic
BC-Axeman 11:00 AM 02-23-2010
I have many boxes of NCs that I will never run out of. If they were to go out of production I would stock up on them. There is no way the Cubans are ever going to make anything like them with Cuban tobacco.
Sometimes I like rum, sometimes scotch. Sometimes light beer, sometimes dark ale. Cuban cigars don't have enough variety for me and I am getting to like only the more flavorful ones. It may be that Cuba is blending with outside leaf anyway.
[Reply]
akumushi 11:11 AM 02-23-2010
I do think it's interesting that the divide seems to be between lovers of in your face, full bodied cigars and lovers of nuanced, mild smokes, so if there are inmates wondering about trying CCs and they love big maduros with tons of pepper like a LFD Maduro Chisel, they'd probably just be wasting their time with CCs, on the other hand, if NCs just seem harsh and over strong to you and the mild ones aren't complex enough for you, then Cuba just might be the island for you. It's great that there are both options out there for smokers, I just hope that Cuba doesn't try to hop on the bandwagon by discontinuing the milder marcas by putting out only super strong smokes like they are with the uber sized ring guages they've been putting out of late. Then those who like mild, thin cigars will be SOL.
[Reply]
shilala 11:14 AM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Kind of a stretch, Beau....I consider Cubans the best (for me) because of their taste, not their legal status, and I am sure many others with lots of experience with both CCs and NCs do too. And many people do consider French wine the best even though there is no French Embargo. Me? I'll stick to beer, vodka and rum. :-)
I agree with you and Clayton, Tom.
If you check out some of the other sites, you'll see a huge amount of ccnobery. It's definately real, and based in machoism and ignorance. Kinda sad and pathetic, but it's what it is.
I think that kind of stuff is what Beau is referring to.
It's cool that that attitude isn't prevalent here, unless you say something about wine. :-)
Fortunately the guys here don't need a cigar to "define" them. It's nice, and refreshing. :-)
[Reply]
JJG 03:19 PM 02-23-2010
I also have to agree with Tom, Clayton and everyone else on the nose smoking thing. CCs in general, but not always, tend to be much smoother with a highly satisfying and complex aroma.

However, I don't think reputation or their less than legal status make them taste better. I agree that taste is subjective and a matter of personal opinion, but let's keep in mind that Habanos are legal everywhere outside the US.

also, can we rewind back to this statement?

Originally Posted by The Poet:
The only true "difference" I've noticed is the higher lithium content in CC tobacco (due to soil conditions), which does not affect the taste, but does alter my mood more than NCs. A good thing? Sometimes, but I did have one "bad trip" after a CC, when my haid was all #^@&ed up for three days afterwards.
wtf! Is this common??? I'm seriously a little freaked out that my next CC is going to be the one that turns me loony.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:19 PM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by JJG:

wtf! Is this common??? I'm seriously a little freaked out that my next CC is going to be the one that turns me loony.
I have never heard of anything like it before, Jeff, and certainly never experienced it or seen it experienced. My guess, with no disrespect meant to Thomas, is that something else besides a CC contributed to whatever he experienced.
[Reply]
Razorhog 04:23 PM 02-23-2010
I have never heard of anything like it before, Jeff, and certainly never experienced it or seen it experienced. My guess, with no disrespect meant to Thomas, is that something else besides a CC contributed to whatever he experienced.
Never heard of that before either, but a google search turns up a lot on the subject. Apparently there is a natural Lithium content in the soil in Cuba.
:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 04:26 PM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by Razorhog:
Never heard of that before either, but a google search turns up a lot on the subject. Apparently there is a natural Lithium content in the soil in Cuba.
I have read that, but also heard from people who have much more scientific knowledge than I ever will that any Lithium content in a cigar would be negligible.
[Reply]
Razorhog 04:29 PM 02-23-2010
I have read that, but also heard from people who have much more scientific knowledge than I ever will that any Lithium content in a cigar would be negligible.
I believe that. If it were enough to matter, psychiatrists would be prescribing them to mental patients! Hmm....
[Reply]
icehog3 04:35 PM 02-23-2010
I believe that. If it were enough to matter, psychiatrists would be prescribing them to mental patients! Hmm....
And I would be up to 30 cigars a day, Beau! :-) :-)
[Reply]
Razorhog 04:41 PM 02-23-2010
And I would be up to 30 cigars a day, Beau! :-) :-)
You and me both! :-)
[Reply]
akumushi 05:06 PM 02-23-2010
Gee, and to think I've been self-medicating with CCs for all these years...
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:13 PM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by Addiction:
I'd also say that a lot NCs get credit for "flavor" where all I get out of them is "strength". But thats just my take.

2) Is the difference (as may have been noted in question 1) that significant, that Cubans are so much better?

For my tastes pretty much yes. There are some CCs I don't smoke but the ones I really like I prefer greatly to NCs. But I'm also the type of guy who can make 10 lbs of lasagna and then eat it for 2 weeks. So its perfect to me to own like 175 Cohiba Lanceros and smoke those heavily. Its just my make up.
I like the fact that you state that it is just your take. I get great flavors out of both. I can snork both CCs & NCs without much problem. As for "strength" idea, I started a thread about that too, that there are some sticks that seem to have nothing going for them but strength.

I definitely could not eat 10lbs of anything if I had to eat it every day - maybe two days of leftovers, but...

Thanks for your thoughts and response.

I must say that I appreciate all the responses to this thread that I had thought died. It is way cool to see the friendly discussion here.

That smoothness on the nose which has been mentioned here is something I noticed, but it wasn't something that I thought was a big deal. A couple cigars that I found hardest to snork were Cubans (Trinidad Fundadore, Monte #2 being the most recent ones), though they were great smokes without snorking.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Peace of the Lord beiw thyou.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:18 PM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by issues:
Loving this thread as it is very informative.

Unfortunately, I have not had enough experience with CCs to form an opinion or contribute but I will watch this thread closely as I am quite curious about them...

Originally Posted by shilala:
I'm sure that can be remedied.
Originally Posted by ggainey:
uh-oh
Originally Posted by issues:
Oh boy, I think I might've stepped into something...
If I were you, I'd move...

... to another zip code, with no forwarding address. :-) :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:38 PM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by akumushi:
I do think it's interesting that the divide seems to be between lovers of in your face, full bodied cigars and lovers of nuanced, mild smokes, so if there are inmates wondering about trying CCs and they love big maduros with tons of pepper like a LFD Maduro Chisel, they'd probably just be wasting their time with CCs, on the other hand, if NCs just seem harsh and over strong to you and the mild ones aren't complex enough for you, then Cuba just might be the island for you. It's great that there are both options out there for smokers, I just hope that Cuba doesn't try to hop on the bandwagon by discontinuing the milder marcas by putting out only super strong smokes like they are with the uber sized ring guages they've been putting out of late. Then those who like mild, thin cigars will be SOL.
Clayton, interesting musings.

First, I disagree with the premise that those who like Cubans, like them because they have what I call and A&E complex (forbidden fruit). Especially most of the ones posting to this particular thread (and the majority of CC smokers on this board). I think they seriously enjoy their CCs.

Now, I must also contend with you on your statement, not negatively, but to say that I think it is an oversimplification. There is probably some merit to it, but I am not sure that I'd agree completely with the strength -vs- mild aspect of it. I know some CCs that are anything but mild, in fact, most of them are more medium to full. I like it described as the "CC smooooooth factor." (Just had a vision of Col. Potter on MASH describing the one Scotch, "There aren't enough ooos in smooth to describe this Scotch.")

I love LFD DLs and some other strong cigars. I also love mild cigars. For example, I dearly miss the old Cifuentes line that appeared in the mid 1990s, they were creamy, nutty, and we like butter in your mouth - but they were mild.

I personally find CCs and NCs in my humidor, and wouldn't toss any of them out. They are there because I like them. I have tastes and times for every bandwidth on the taste spectrum.

Of course it all boils down to this simple fact. Each of us has different tastes, be it cigars and just about anything else. Personally, I couldn't drive a Jaguar, I have always thought they were just to _____ ugly. I could care less what other merits they had. I was even offered a ride in one, just to show me - I couldn't get it it. But, that's just my personal opinion. I took the opportunity though to take the Lotus Esprit for a drive. And I loved being behind the wheel of a 1944 Wily's Jeep. I also think the 'vettes after about 1964 look like $#!+.

I originally asked the question, to get people to talk about what it was that they liked about their favorite cigars - whether CC or NC (and I must say, I don't like lumping all NCs together as there are too many variations that way).

Too often, people get into a rut and do things without thinking about what it is that drives them. Big -vs- small RG cigars, short -vs- long cigars, Scotch -vs- bourbon, 10lbs of lasgna -vs- a 16oz porterhouse, and on and on.

I look forward to herfing with different guys because it is an opportunity to see what makes them tick. Passing cigars and getting opinions on the tastes of them while it is happening is so cool. Likes and dislike vary so greatly, and it's what makes this hobby so wonderful.

Personally, I'm glad y'all don't think that my favorites are the best. If you did, they'd never go on sale, and I cannot afford them if they're not. So, thanks for liking different things. :-)

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
G G 06:05 PM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
If I were you, I'd move...

... to another zip code, with no forwarding address. :-) :-)
Have to agree with my brother on this one, he is a man of God and he knows things, plus Scott is the heavy hitter that the heavy hitters look up to.:-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up