Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
General Discussion>Advice needed - want a pistol
neoflex 09:58 AM 09-25-2011
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great suggestions. All I need - another slippery slope.
It can be a slippery slope if you let it.:-)
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 11:02 AM 09-25-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Try, try, try and then try a bunch. :-)
Spot on advice.

Decide first if you're partial to a revolver or a semi-auto.

Then see which brands/models feel good in your hand and shoot well for you.

Then start researching reliability and durability.

Lastly, start listening to personal opinions. :-)
[Reply]
boom 12:23 PM 09-25-2011
+1 for the M&P... Love my 40.... I have been eyeing the 9 as well to add to the family
[Reply]
jaxstraww 06:27 PM 09-25-2011
S&W .38 Revolver

Hammer-less - No issue with it getting caught on your belt

Unless someone is holding the cylinder you never need to worry about a jam

6 shots - If you need more than that your in trouble

Revolver isn't as cool or tuckable as a semi but when its time to cause action it'll never fail.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 06:53 PM 09-25-2011
I love my 1911, but if I had to pick one single pistol to do everything: carry, camping, target shooting, etc. I'd probably take a Sig Sauer P226,228, or 229 in 9mm or .40

They're not too heavy, very reliable, very accurate (easy to shoot), and very well made.

I have shot glocks and the like, and the new Gen4 models are great, but I just don't care for them as much. However, you can get a Glock 19 for about half the price of a Sig 226
[Reply]
jjirons69 07:01 PM 09-25-2011
Looked around a lot on the net, plus watched many videos. No hands on yet, but I like the way the 642 S&W looks. Double action with a concealed hammer and it's small enough to conceal. Not looking at shooting "whatever" at 50 yds, so something like this looks like a good fit for short to medium distance. I like that it's sub-$400, uses a common .38 shell, and is not so powerful my wife wouldn't shoot it. I'm going to keep looking, but I've started a list now.
[Reply]
floydpink 06:30 AM 09-26-2011
Looked around a lot on the net, plus watched many videos. No hands on yet, but I like the way the 642 S&W looks. Double action with a concealed hammer and it's small enough to conceal. Not looking at shooting "whatever" at 50 yds, so something like this looks like a good fit for short to medium distance. I like that it's sub-$400, uses a common .38 shell, and is not so powerful my wife wouldn't shoot it. I'm going to keep looking, but I've started a list now.
Exactly what I chose when I was looking.

The guy at my local range encouraged me to try it as did my brother who is a Sgt and carries it off duty.

With a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for summer and Uncle Mike's IWB in the winter, I barely notice it's in my front pocket.

I have since added Crimson trace laser grips and don't even think about a different setup.

A lot of the semi-auto guys like 9 or more shots, but I figure if I need more than 5, I'm in a prolonged gunfight that i should have ran from a long time ago.

I'm a wheelgun guy for life.
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:59 AM 09-26-2011
I carry a similar pistol every day. I carry the S&W Bodyguard 38. It is basically the same pistol as the 642, except it has a laser and the cylinder release is on the top instead of the side.

I highly recommend it! :-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up