Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>Found a Sleeper - Puros Huerfanos
Cigahs 08:08 AM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by madwilliamflint:
I see. I've only been smoking for a bit less than 2 years and came across them early. Just one of my favorite smokes of all time. I was stoked when people started saying it's the LP9 since at least they're "in production." Price be damned as long as they're available. But after side-by-siding them a couple times it's just not true.

I have a few kicking around, but when they disappeared from the site I nearly had a heart attack. So now I'm starting to really forage around the internet for any I can find.

Plus now I'm starting to cast a wider net to fill that flavor spot. It's gonna be tough. I've smoked a lot of things that could be called "in the same family" that just didn't come close.
Well.. If it helps any, I polled a few people here..

Some cigars with similar (not identical) profiles:

Perdomo Habano Toro Maduro

Pinar Del Rio Oscuro Toro

Final Blend toro

La Floridita Fuerte Toro

Famous Nicaraguan Selection 5000

Rocky Patel Signature Toro

My votes go to Final Blend or Pinar Del Rio. But that's just me.

Humberto
[Reply]
whodeeni 05:59 PM 05-15-2011
Originally Posted by Cigahs:
No worries...

I'm probably speaking out of turn myself, anyway.

It's not likely we'll ever get PH 681s again. However, we're still trying. For that reason, I'm not confirming nor denying anything.
Probably due to the lack of tobacco available for them to make the regular No. 9's. Boy I wish they WOULD release some more... I for on would be all over them!

@ Madwilliamflint My sentiments exactly! I'd love to find some of these!:-)
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 01:45 PM 07-18-2011
Gotta say, I don't mind the number 9s, but I wouldn't buy them unless they were startlingly cheap.

I'll tell you what though. I made the mistake of going into Barclay Rex down past Wall st. during lunch on Thursday and I picked up a couple Alec Bradley New Yorkers, which I'd never heard of before. I paid just under $14 (each) for them which, given where I bought them, is probably not as awful as it could've been.

These things are delightful.

But why mention them in this thread, you may ask.

Because I couldn't quite put my finger on what they tasted like. My buddy and I smoked a pair of them on the front porch on Saturday morning and we both looked at each other wide eyed. "We've smoked this!" We agreed. It was the spitting image of something we were both very familiar with.

On a hunch I went in to the house and brought out a 681 (Yeah, I still have 4 boxes :-) ).

So no, it's not "exactly the same thing." But I'll be damned if an Alec Bradley New Yorker doesn't taste like I'd imagine a 681 that's been sitting for about 5-6 years.

I'd be interested to get a second opinion on this, but as it stands these sticks have vaulted on to my short "have a couple boxes kicking around" list.
[Reply]
billybarue 02:20 PM 07-18-2011
I'd like to help. I've got the 681's on hand, but no way am I dropping $14 to make the comparison to the Alec Bradley.

681's are great sticks - I'll be sorry when mine are gone.
[Reply]
neoflex 02:24 PM 07-18-2011
I doubt that they are the same stick as I have had a pretty reliable source tell me the 681 were in fact out of the DE factory.
[Reply]
Dunkel 02:33 PM 07-18-2011
I thought the 681 I smoked was awful. I never got halfway through and pitched it.
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 05:30 PM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by billybarue:
I'd like to help. I've got the 681's on hand, but no way am I dropping $14 to make the comparison to the Alec Bradley.

681's are great sticks - I'll be sorry when mine are gone.
I probably purchased that stick at the single worst place to buy it. I'm gonna look around for a reasonable price.
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 05:31 PM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by neoflex:
I doubt that they are the same stick as I have had a pretty reliable source tell me the 681 were in fact out of the DE factory.
Indeed. I don't contend they are. In fact, if you scroll back a bit in this very thread... :-)
[Reply]
neoflex 05:46 PM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by madwilliamflint:
Indeed. I don't contend they are. In fact, if you scroll back a bit in this very thread... :-)
Sorry about that one.:-) I read your post while on a conference call and misread it. That's multi-tasking I tell ya.:-) I should be back in NY next month so I will have to keep an eye out for the NYer. I'm down to 2.5 boxes of the 681.:-):-)
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 06:15 PM 07-18-2011
Yeah I got 3.5. I've gotten to where I don't reach for 'em any more. At least the Jaime's I can get more of :-)
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 09:05 AM 07-19-2011
These are back on cigar monster now. ItS the 52x toro size. And it says right in the description that they are drew estate over runs...
[Reply]
neoflex 09:19 AM 07-19-2011
The 52X is a different stick than the 681. The 681 is closer to the Liga 9 blend. Not real sure what the 52x is but looks like it may be something from either the Natural or La Vieja Habana line.
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 09:27 AM 07-19-2011
Ahh thanks neo. I just read that first few posts on the different X and the 681 blends.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up