Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Entertainment>Avatar
goalie204 01:55 PM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Yeah Myles, that critical thinking switch is a b!tch to shut off once in a while.
I do it a lot. :-)
I did it for a while, but i was only enjoying 1/10 movies. I turn it off with a few drinks and now i find i'm much more easily amused and entertained :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 02:30 PM 12-21-2009
The message, and how it is received and acknowledged, is sometimes more important than the method. Unfortunately. Technology is great, but I do not enjoy being pandered to or pimped for a political message I would be most likely to disagree with. (See M. Moores propagandist drivel) That being said, James Cameron is a craftsman with no small skills, vision and expertise.
:-)
[Reply]
Darrell 03:33 PM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by longknocker:
:-):-) Darrell???
Probably Wed.
[Reply]
Starscream 04:14 PM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Probably Wed.
:-):-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 06:30 PM 12-21-2009
At the end of the day it's just a movie. It is not going to make a difference to me if I see it or not. You have to make me want to waste my time to see a movie, do nothing to make me not want to see it. The trailer alone made me NOT want to see it. I still don't see any reason TO see it. If the technology is so great there will be better movies made with it. I can wait.
[Reply]
Chris. 08:55 PM 12-21-2009
:-) Did you say the same thing about The Matrix?
[Reply]
gvarsity 09:18 PM 12-21-2009
Yeah Myles, that critical thinking switch is a b!tch to shut off once in a while.
I do it a lot. :-)
(flip the switch, that is.)
I'm not sure how one applies active critical thinking to a piece of art you are unwilling to see. It seems to me you shut off the possibility that Avatar could have any value when you decided that Cameron's/the movie's politics were different than yours.

To paint Cameron with the same brush as Michael Moore an unapologetic agitator is a broad brush indeed and not at all accurate IMHO.

In case it was not clear in my original post for all Avatars faults it is not just a technology movie and it is good and highly enjoyable. It just would not be a great movie based on story and dialogue etc... but as a whole including the technology which was indispensable aspect in telling this story and it was an amazing final product.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:19 PM 12-21-2009
The first Matrix was great, then they got progressively worse. Any message in them was so completely obscured that it didn't matter. The subject was completely novel and the story line had never been done before. None of the special effects were very groundbreaking. The highway sequence was close to unique. The trailers were not aimed outward at the audience but towards the movie. So to me there is nothing to compare Matrix to Avatar.
You have to consider that there are no aliens in Avatar. It was written by, for and about humans. Not much different than an anthropomorphic Disney animal cartoon. I probably shouldn't have written this. As was said in this thread earlier, "ignorance is bliss", and I shouldn't spoil it for anyone who doesn't see thing the way I do.
[Reply]
Chris. 09:24 PM 12-21-2009
The matrix perfected bullet time and used it to involve you more in the movie. And I loved all three! :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 03:41 PM 12-22-2009
I did go and see Avatar, and did not enjoy it because of the message. Mama didn't really think it was 400 million worth of special effects. She wants to write something here, too.

But, I would NEVER go to see a Michael Moore movie- I agree that this and Moore are not really comparable. Now, here's HRMama:

The setting is stunning, but the 3 D effects were not much. Nothing really leapt off the screen. A few snowflake like things but that is about all. So I was very disappointed in the 3D(which of course, you pay extra to see).

The plot is rather limited and obvious. Yet in the roughly 2 1/2 hrs of this movie there is no explanation of how we came to be on this planet and why we so badly want this UNOBTANIUM mineral. The characters are stereotypes, the good are the greatest and the bad are the most evil-there are no in betweens.

Was this movie based on a book? If so, please let us know. And let us know if it is true to the book and if the book answers these questions. Also, is there a sequel to the book.

I would rate the movie OK. I WAS JUST EXPECTING A LOT MORE THAN WAS DELIVERED. Hot Reds Mama
[Reply]
goalie204 03:48 PM 12-22-2009
i like Michael Moore movies :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 04:18 PM 12-22-2009
The story idea was written by Cameron while the Viet Nam war was going on. His words. He could not present it the way he wanted to until now. My guess is that unless there was some breakthrough glitz to put in it it would be such a lame B grade sci-fi that it would have panned in the first week. JMO
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:39 AM 12-23-2009
I saw the movie in 3D on Sunday with my son and we both enjoyed it! The story was decent, if predictable -- but most stories these days have a basis on or elements of some past story or event, so there is nearly always some predictabilty. Does not bother me.

The CGI was awesome. Could they have done things differently to make it better? Sure, but I don't believe that there is any movie to date that comes close to the quality of CGI in Avatar. The 3D was also good -- again it could have been done better, but I did enjoy it.

If you enjoy a well done movie, then you should go see Avatar.

One more comment, or explanation, really. I enjoy most movies that are meant to entertain (not all, but most) because I set my expectations appropriately and don't over think them. I am there to escape, to be entertained, so I go to the movies (or read fiction) in a way that I am likely to get the most escape / entertainment value out of them.

On the otherhand, I enjoy a good documentary (e.g., King Corn -- which I highly recommend) and watch these kinds of movies with expectations that are different because they are not meant to be entertainment.

It's all a matter of how you approach things-- is the glass half empty of half full? (and full of what?? a good single malt scotch or tequila, I hope :-))

Time for a good cigar! :-)
[Reply]
Chris. 10:03 AM 12-23-2009
Just watched the trailer for King Corn. Looks interesting.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:40 AM 12-23-2009
Originally Posted by Chris.:
If you are interested in find out just how much corn has invaded our lives, particularly since neither we, nor the cattle we live off of digest it very well then you will have your eyes opened!
[Reply]
goalie204 07:19 AM 12-25-2009
8.8/10 with 60,000 votes so far, can't wait to see this
[Reply]
mariogolbee 10:59 AM 12-25-2009
You can watch King Corn on Netflix instant watch. Just reactivated my account with them and put King Corn in my instant watch Que.
[Reply]
eber 11:46 AM 12-25-2009
I saw this on Sunday and I thought it was amazing, I agree with the aforementioned 3D statements, I could do without them and the 3D kind of hurts my eyes. I can see where you can take it as a left wing agenda movie but that didn't really bother me that much.
[Reply]
goalie204 02:45 PM 12-29-2009
just saw this movie with the 3d....it was amazing..i've never said that about a movie before...just amazing. Don't care what ppl think about the politics
[Reply]
gvarsity 08:53 PM 01-03-2010
they have to make $500 mill to be profitable. That might take a while
1.02 billion worldwide in 17 days. Not a long time.

http://www.examiner.com/x-25310-Litt...lion-worldwide
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up