Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
All Cigar Discussion>Joe Cigar Selling Seconds?
Kreth 06:38 AM 05-05-2010
When is Legend gonna weigh in on this thread? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
neoflex 06:48 AM 05-05-2010
As far as the Rocky thing, For a while now I have been saying if Rocky comes out with something you like , snatch up as many boxes as you can as it is likely that the next time you grab another box it may or may not taste the same. This has just been my experience so take it for what its worth. As far as the online retailer thing. I have only experienced inconsistencies with the Joe Cigar deals.
[Reply]
lightning9191 06:53 AM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
When is Legend gonna weigh in on this thread? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
You have to say his name three times in a row :-)
[Reply]
lightning9191 06:54 AM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by naamanf:
I have sent them a customer service email, but I am still waiting for a reply.
If you have the opportunity, give them a phone call. It will pry get sorted out a lot quicker.
[Reply]
newlifetaxidermy 09:08 AM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by Bax:
So are you saying there might be a slight possibility that there are 2 types of cigars? 1 for B&M's and 1 for online retailers?:-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I think the answer is simple. It's the manufacturer that is sneaking in lesser quallity stock into the larger internet retailers orders. Every producer has stock that is just barely under standard. Throw them away or sneak them in a big order? CI will not open every box for sale like a B&M would. By the time the poorer sticks are discovered they're in a third persons hands and much less likely to get returned. It's all about profit margins.

So in short, blame the manufacturer.
I'm not saying there are sticks for B&Ms and different sticks for online retailers. What I'm saying is that "some" of the big online retailers are knowingly buying the lesser quality stock, so that they can sell it cheap on their daily/weekly special or auctions. If it were happening on occasion, I would believe that it is just the mfg being sneaky, but it is happening across multiple mfgs. I will go it a step further and say that if you purchase a box at full price (ie not the daily/weekly special or auction) from these retailers, you get a different quality. Have you noticed that there are no seconds for sale from a lot of mfgs? There has to be a certain amount of production that is off color, underfilled, improperly blended, etc. What happens to those?
[Reply]
T.G 09:43 AM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by newlifetaxidermy:
I'm not saying there are sticks for B&Ms and different sticks for online retailers. What I'm saying is that "some" of the big online retailers are knowingly buying the lesser quality stock, so that they can sell it cheap on their daily/weekly special or auctions. If it were happening on occasion, I would believe that it is just the mfg being sneaky, but it is happening across multiple mfgs. I will go it a step further and say that if you purchase a box at full price (ie not the daily/weekly special or auction) from these retailers, you get a different quality. Have you noticed that there are no seconds for sale from a lot of mfgs? There has to be a certain amount of production that is off color, underfilled, improperly blended, etc. What happens to those?
They sell them to online vendors at a deep discount and mark the boxes with a sticker that says "Hold for James in North Carolina or Tripp in Oregon"
[Reply]
newlifetaxidermy 11:01 AM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
They sell them to online vendors at a deep discount and mark the boxes with a sticker that says "Hold for James in North Carolina or Tripp in Oregon"
You might be on to something...:-)
[Reply]
Ogre 11:08 AM 05-05-2010
Its a conspiracy. Lets test to make sure. Send me one or more of said sticks and I will compare them to the real things. LOL.

Now on a serious side, I am watching this to see if that is what is going on. I have received an order from CI without question. I have a current Cbid order being shipped. I will post on the quality when I receive it.
[Reply]
Tuxguy 11:22 AM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by dannysguitar:
My thoughts exactly. I wonder what he says when confronted with this...
I will ask him tonight. He is coming for an event.
[Reply]
T.G 11:27 AM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by Tuxguy:
I will ask him tonight. He is coming for an event.
Make sure you take one of these with you for when you get the answer:
[Reply]
OLS 01:34 PM 05-05-2010
Hate to say this again if someone already has, but it is not uncommon in the industry today to
spray tobacco with tobacco juice and squeezins to get that consistent look of Maduro for that
which a precedent may have already been set. Maduro launch cigars may be one color, and the
next harvest's materials might not allow for the same color match, and the tobacco could be
sprayed. And it WILL come off on your fingers and lips. Per-DOH-mo cigars first real luxury line
was like this. The had a cigar called X that was a square pressed torpedo and at FIRST they
were great cigars. Then as time went by they just started SUCKING A$$. They were all treated
wrappers on the maduros. This is not the same as dying wrappers, but it IS really in the end. But
there is a great chance that the vendor has nothing to do with it.

--------------------------------

"And that covers everything from Padrons to Pirates" Well, to be honest, that's not a very big range, LOL.
[Reply]
T.G 04:13 PM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
Hate to say this again if someone already has, but it is not uncommon in the industry today to
spray tobacco with tobacco juice and squeezins to get that consistent look of Maduro for that
which a precedent may have already been set. Maduro launch cigars may be one color, and the
next harvest's materials might not allow for the same color match, and the tobacco could be
sprayed. And it WILL come off on your fingers and lips. Per-DOH-mo cigars first real luxury line
was like this. The had a cigar called X that was a square pressed torpedo and at FIRST they
were great cigars. Then as time went by they just started SUCKING A$$. They were all treated
wrappers on the maduros. This is not the same as dying wrappers, but it IS really in the end. But
there is a great chance that the vendor has nothing to do with it.

--------------------------------

"And that covers everything from Padrons to Pirates" Well, to be honest, that's not a very big range, LOL.
Thanks Brad. I've gotten so sick of arguing what you just said with people that I don't even bother to mention it anymore.

I think the last time I mentioned it (on another forum) it went 140 someodd posts with people arguing back and forth over it. Everything from cheating to unnatural to trying to explain the differnces and why and if only people realized how many manufacturers did this, they'd probably change their tune or stop smoking maduros alltogether.
[Reply]
JohnCA 04:28 PM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
heh Could have put that better. :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:59 PM 05-05-2010
I only buy two things from cBid anymore... DPG Blue Exquisitos and 1977 Blacks. I have never had a problem. I know that doesn't add much to the discussion other than what it is.
[Reply]
Ogre 05:01 PM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Thanks Brad. I've gotten so sick of arguing what you just said with people that I don't even bother to mention it anymore.

I think the last time I mentioned it (on another forum) it went 140 someodd posts with people arguing back and forth over it. Everything from cheating to unnatural to trying to explain the differnces and why and if only people realized how many manufacturers did this, they'd probably change their tune or stop smoking maduros alltogether.
:-), maybe people will stop smoking maduros and the price will come down for those of us that dont mind. Guess thats asking to much.
[Reply]
naamanf 10:14 PM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by :
Thank you for choosing Cigars International! I am very sorry to hear that you were not happy with your last shipment. I can gladly set up a exchange or return for you. Please let me advise you that we do not dye cigars sometimes the tobacco can react to a wrapper. I can assure you as well these are not seconds.
From CI customer service. The "we" statement is a bit strange. Seems to either infer that they have something to do with the production of the cigars or are putting the blame on the manufacturer. Or I'm just reading into it to much.

I think that they might purchase runs of cigars the manufacturer wants to get rid of. I have some of the AB Tempus Quadrums from CI that AB doesn't show as a size they produce in the Tempus line, and doesn't taste/burn like the ones I have had from a B&M.
[Reply]
akumushi 10:25 PM 05-05-2010
From CI customer service. The "we" statement is a bit strange. Seems to either infer that they have something to do with the production of the cigars or are putting the blame on the manufacturer. Or I'm just reading into it to much.

I think that they might purchase runs of cigars the manufacturer wants to get rid of. I have some of the AB Tempus Quadrums from CI that AB doesn't show as a size they produce in the Tempus line, and doesn't taste/burn like the ones I have had from a B&M.
And then they call it a CI Exclusive,:-)
[Reply]
T.G 12:59 AM 05-06-2010
It was a poorly written response and you are reading too much into it.

CI is just a vendor. Somehow, I don't picture Steve and Keith in the back of the warehouse with paint brushes and cans of minwax giggling "heh. let's see if he likes american walnut poly."
[Reply]
OLS 09:52 AM 05-06-2010
Originally Posted by JohnCA:
heh Could have put that better. :-)
Yes, but when you thought "I won't DIGNIFY Acids with a mention", you did the right thing. And who knows
Zino cigars anymore? I think they still sell em. :-):-)
[Reply]
OLS 09:58 AM 05-06-2010
And look at Lew R0thman. He often states right out in the open, "I bought the entire stock of
cigars that were being stored in the aging rooms at the factory. I have no idea what these cigars
were going to be sold as, but I am passing the savings on to you. They could be 18 dollar cigars
or they could be crap."
I would trace any problems with the cigars straight to the manufacturer. Only they know what
is actually happening. COULD be some wink-nod business going on, but who's fault is it at the
heart of it? That's right, the manufacturer. Also one should not rule out the humidity factor. Wet cigars
taste nothing like properly humidified and ready to smoke cigars. Not saying this has anything to do
with long term taste probs, but there you go.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up