Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
All Cigar Discussion>Castro Resigns ?? What Could This Mean?
replicant_argent 06:56 AM 04-20-2011
Just like China has improved.
[Reply]
DBall 07:00 AM 04-20-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
I'm hoping the embargo doesn't get lifted, people forget about the HUGE price increase it would cause.
Not only that, but fakes would be even MORE rampant... there's a lot of crap cigars sitting on shelves that, with the help of a few bands and a box, would fly off shelves at huge markups from unscrupulous shops preying on the "unwashed masses". :-)
[Reply]
Wanger 07:22 AM 04-20-2011
My take: Embargo ends...demand skyrockets ("CCs are the bestest thing out there")...price goes up as availability goes down of real CCs (due to all the people saying "CCs are the bestest" buying them all)...as availability drops, fakes skyrocket...sheeple saying "CCs are the bestest" continue to buy them, being influenced by the fact that "CCs are the bestest"...those of us who may know a little more about CCs get screwed because the country won't be able to keep up with demand (and what happens if there's another bad hurricane season?).

There are a LOT of people out there that think any CC is an awesome stick. They will buy what they can and smoke them before they are ready, or when they are "sick". But they will STILL say they're the best thing out there, because that's what they've been told for YEARS, and it simply "must be true". There are a lot of people who smoke crappy cigars and say they're great. Personally, my taste is more specific, but I can see a lot of people going for Cohibas and Montes if/when the embargo is finally lifted. Those are the most well known brands out of Cuba, IMO. But of the ones I may or may not have been given that originate from that country, I'd think that some of the lesser known brands like Cuaba, and some of the "non-American" type cigars (i.e. smaller and smaller ring gauge, like Partagas Shorts) would be less sought after.

As for what an end to the embargo would mena for the people of the island, I think it COULD be huge (not that it WOULD be, but COULD be). There would have to be a major shift in the wealth structure of the country. Private enterprise would have to be reinstated. If that did happen, I can see some major US tourism $ going there. The big hotel chains would probably swoop in and try to buy up the prime property and build monstrous hotels. What I'd love to see is some of the old school places bought and returned to their former glory. Some of the classic places that you read about from the 40s and 50s. An influx of US tourism dollars would be HUGE for the country, as it would become THE place to go if all that happened. I know I'd love to visit the country at some point in my life. :-)

This is just my :-).
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:37 AM 04-20-2011
Wow, is whether cigars are going to more expensive is all that you guys care about in Cuba? There's suffering and inhumanity that is more important to me than any cigar. As much as Cuba has achieved, it has come at dear to cost to many. Hopefully, Cuba will find a happy balance of ideology along with self determination and freedom.
[Reply]
Wanger 07:48 AM 04-20-2011
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Wow, is whether cigars are going to more expensive is all that you guys care about in Cuba? There's suffering and inhumanity that is more important to me than any cigar. As much as Cuba has achieved, it has come at dear to cost to many. Hopefully, Cuba will find a happy balance of ideology along with self determination and freedom.
Obviously not, but this is a cigar board, so the predominant discussion will be about what brought us all here...cigars.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:54 AM 04-20-2011
Originally Posted by Wanger:
Obviously not, but this is a cigar board, so the predominant discussion will be about what brought us all here...cigars.
I wouldn't say "obviously not" considering the posts in this thread.
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:56 AM 04-20-2011
Could mean Castro has less than a week to live???:-)
[Reply]
Wanger 07:57 AM 04-20-2011
I wouldn't say "obviously not" considering the posts in this thread.
I understand what you're saying, but to me personally, that's a given. We hear what it's like there, about all the corruption and the horrible conditions that the people there have to live with, but very few of us have actually been there, or can actually go there right now and say that they've seen it. Make sense?
[Reply]
Stephen 08:08 AM 04-20-2011
Originally Posted by Wanger:
:-) There are far worse plights befalling the peoples of countries other than Cuba. It's not that their welfare isn't in our thoughts, but that this board isn't operated to have those discussions here.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:09 AM 04-20-2011
OP: Nada.
[Reply]
poker 08:16 AM 04-20-2011
Cuba is moving all their tobacco manufacturing over to Taiwan
[Reply]
replicant_argent 08:19 AM 04-20-2011
Originally Posted by poker:
Cuba is moving all their tobacco manufacturing over to Taiwan
On that day, I shall celebrate with a dirty water hotdog juice martini.
[Reply]
T.G 08:21 AM 04-20-2011
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
No chicken wing shakes?
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 08:39 AM 04-20-2011
IMHO:Too many people alive that know what happened in the revolution there for the embargo to just end.

When it does, I will probably not smoke any CC that I didn't have before the ending. For a few years, maybe ten, for the previously commented fakes/trash reasons.

There would need to be an effort put forward by the Cuban regime to negotiate with the US. Watch for signs of that. Castro, so far, has steadfastly refused.

I love chili.
And jambalaya.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 08:43 AM 04-20-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
No chicken wing shakes?
Well, aren't you posh.

You have to make sure they aren't substituting fakes like Tofurkey.
[Reply]
poker 08:46 AM 04-20-2011
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Start mixing! :-)
[Reply]
markem 08:52 AM 04-20-2011
So does this mean that we are going to start a "TC forum" for cigars from the other, other island? Will MRN write another book and include Pacific growing regions? Inquiring minds and all that, you know. :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 09:08 AM 04-20-2011
Start mixing! :-)
Get the "N" outta there, and it'll look great! Altho in this day and age I'd say "Hecho en China." Taiwan is too first world.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:20 AM 04-20-2011
Cuba should already have agreements on exclusive distributors for USA they’ll mandate higher wholesale pricing. They should rape the USA market while making a high margin. US Government will crack down on grey market cigars coming into USA like they have been with cigarette tax stamp evasion. Legal Cuban cigars will be the super expensive than when the embargo if you like Internet prices. Cigar will be stopped at the border like they are in Canada.

Be careful what you wish for…

As an aside. Within 10 years, expect all tobacco to cost at least 50-100% more than it is now with huge restrictions on where one can smoke.
[Reply]
Wanger 09:24 AM 04-20-2011
start mixing! :d
lmao!!!
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up