Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
All Cigar Discussion>Are you a collector or are you a smoker?
OHRD 02:30 PM 03-22-2011
Great thread Zach.

I'm a bit of both, but more than anything I'm a smoker. I have my smokes organized and of the eight sections designated for singles, only one of those is untouchable. And in that bin, most are being saved b/c I really LOVE them and I only have one left...not b/c they are super expensive, etc.
[Reply]
Isom-niac2 02:38 PM 03-22-2011
Ima smoker, but I told my wife Ima collector and my stash is an investment that I can always sell and get my money back...She bought it and supports my "collecting."
[Reply]
68TriShield 02:39 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by bigdankcloud:
While it takes me some time since this cigar smoking thing has been pissing off the female unit more and more lately, I still think of myself as a smoker.
Any chance of bringing her into the fold Chris? It has happened before.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 02:39 PM 03-22-2011
I'm a smoker, there are maybe 3 or 4 cigars in my humidor that I'm holding on to so I can share them with a friend, but otherwise any stick I have is ready to go up in flames at any time.
[Reply]
BlackIrish 02:55 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by CRIMPS:

There are a couple of thoughts that run through my head each time I open my humidor.
  • That is a special stick... for a special occasion.
  • I only have one of those. I don't want to smoke it now.
  • Holding on to this stick, I want to share it with a friend.
  • This cigar needs a little more time.

But, most of all, it seems like I am starting to become a collector as there is a good percentage of cigars I am not smoking just because... Not exactly sure why that is...
I've often found myself thinking like this in the past, and there are still times when I say "that's a special cigar and I'm not going to have the time and circumstances to give this smoke the attention I want to give it," or "I've been wanting to smoke this one, but it's too mild for me tonight." But I'm finding more and more that *now* is the time to smoke those sticks that I've been saving.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 02:55 PM 03-22-2011
Thoroughly enjoying all responses to this. :-)

I guess the better question is how each of us values the cigars we have.

From an analytical standpoint, each of us assigns some value to Cigar X when we receive the cigar into our Inventory. For Cigar X to be selected to be smoked/gifted, the value of that cigar will offset the occasion/emotional feeling/etc. Your everyday smoke for the evening on the porch vs that special stick (special to you) for special times (marriage/birth/etc).
[Reply]
Dukeuni 02:58 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:
Initially you explore... buying things to try.
You find things you like and buy more.
If this trend continues long enough... buying more than you smoke;
You have become a collector.
A lot of the discussion so far as been "I will smoke anything in my humidor, nothing is too special." I agree with this statement. I guess I like what was stated above- I have gotten to the point that I have so many cigars, I may never be able to smoke them all, so I think of myself now as a collector.
[Reply]
NeuRon 03:00 PM 03-22-2011
Smoker all the way.. What good are they just sitting there?
[Reply]
Nathan King 03:03 PM 03-22-2011
I don't smoke very much compared to many on the forums, so I consider myself a bit of a collector. That said, I have no hesitation lighting an uber-premium just for the heck of it.
[Reply]
FelonyRuckus 03:08 PM 03-22-2011
I'm definitely a smoker but, i do have a few I'm collecting. I smoke at least 1 or 2 cigars a day. I am letting my Drew Estates Flying Pig, AVO LE10s, Padron no. 44, 45, 46s, and my BHK 52, 54, and 56s age and waiting for special occasions.
[Reply]
cobra03 03:09 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Bax:
I really enjoy the aspect of collecting but not to the point I wouldn't toast a single cigar that I have :-)
:-) Like my high school bus driver always said "Smoke em if you got em boys, smoke em if you got em...."
[Reply]
MiamiE 03:13 PM 03-22-2011
I am a smoker, but I am smoking less these days and buying more. I guess this makes me a collector.
[Reply]
dwoodward 03:30 PM 03-22-2011
I think I am a smoker... For a while I was totally a collector, but I eventually grew past that stage. now I just grab whatever looks good. The thoughts of "oh that's my only/last one" cross my mind often, but then I tell myself "perfect reason to smoke it".

The way I see it, if it's my only one, chances are I got it in a sampler and I haven't tried it yet. No sense not trying it if it has the potential to be a favorite.
[Reply]
sam a 03:46 PM 03-22-2011
smoker with a few quirks that force me to buy a few to many of everything
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:58 PM 03-22-2011
Like Scott said... I do enjoy the rare find, but I am definitely a smoker. I have a plan for aging some of my stuff, but I smoke anything when the mood strikes.
[Reply]
Steve 04:05 PM 03-22-2011
Smoker...
[Reply]
Trent0341 04:07 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Nathan King:
I don't smoke very much compared to many on the forums, so I consider myself a bit of a collector. That said, I have no hesitation lighting an uber-premium just for the heck of it.
I'm pretty much the same way. I do have quite a few that I'm putting away for aging (well quite a few for me anyway) but like Ron White said:

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em."
[Reply]
pektel 04:08 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Trent0341:
"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em."
I like that. :-)
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 04:13 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Like Scott said... I do enjoy the rare find, but I am definitely a smoker. I have a plan for aging some of my stuff, but I smoke anything when the mood strikes.
Spoken like a true smoker... :-)
[Reply]
CoreyD 04:26 PM 03-22-2011
I am a smoker , as stated previous the very tasty sticks have a hard time aging in the humi cause they get grabbed, and as stated previous if you purchase a new taste you like and grab that some of the others start collecting. I often wonder if the sticks I have will make it of a year humi time because even the October, November and December sticks I purchase are getting low to under 7 and such and summer has yet to even hit and we're only 5 months into my new found hobby.I do have some sitting hoping I have strength to let them rest to see the so called aging effect but all my sticks taste so damn good.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up