Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>MSN.com article on the dangers of cigar smoking
M1903A1 09:12 AM 06-19-2009
Originally Posted by wrench turner 85:
do these so called "Experts" realize that we breath this in every day. Every went to Africa or country's like that or a old car show, then you breathed in lead, carbon monoxide, CO2, and a bunch of other crap thats more toxic than cigar smoke. :-)
Absolutely agree. I'm a lot more concerned about things I breathe at work (bus engine exhaust, chemical fumes) or at the railway museum (solvents, paint overspray, sawdust and metal grinding dust) than about my periodic cigars.
[Reply]
DocLogic77 09:17 AM 06-19-2009
There have been NUMEROUS studies done on cigar smoking and health over the years. I have a link at home with most of those studies and the conclusions listed.

The greatest majority of those studies come to similar conclusions. When talking about ONLY smoking cigars...no alcohol involved. There has been no direct correlation to cancers and smoking 3 or less cigars per day.

It has been shown though that moderate cigar smoking with alcohol abuse can indeed increase the risk of cancers...more of a risk than the alcohol abuse alone.

Also, cigarettes contain many more toxins...and despite less nicotine have a delivery system that allows nicotine to cross the blood brain barrier faster. There is no doubt from personal experience cigarettes are much more addictive. Even 4 cigarettes a day have been linked to numerous disease processes.

My opinion when it comes to cigar smoking...smoke like you should do everything else...in moderation. Even too much exercise has been linked to disease...too much water can kill you...and if you smoke 7-8 cigars a day you have to know that it isn't good for you.
[Reply]
troutbreath 09:27 AM 06-19-2009
Now wait just a gosh darn minute here . . . there are people who think smoking is BAD?!?
[Reply]
M1903A1 10:39 AM 06-19-2009
Originally Posted by DocLogic77:
It has been shown though that moderate cigar smoking with alcohol abuse can indeed increase the risk of cancers...more of a risk than the alcohol abuse alone.
I've heard this correlation before. How is "alcohol abuse" defined?
[Reply]
DocLogic77 10:52 AM 06-19-2009
Originally Posted by M1903A1:
I've heard this correlation before. How is "alcohol abuse" defined?
Very good question. I will look again at the study when I get home but I don't believe it was defined. I would personally guess abuse is defined much like the C.A.G.E. questions for alcoholism assessment...which is 14 drinks/week. I do not know this as fact and I will check tommorow.
[Reply]
Jack Straw 11:13 AM 06-19-2009
What about the alcohol combined with a cigar increases cancer risk? I'd be interested to know.
[Reply]
rizzle 11:31 AM 06-19-2009
Originally Posted by papajohn67:
Were going to hear more and more of this, cry's for the government to get involved in saving us from ourselves. However I do find it somewhat amusing that the same government that now is so concerned about my personnel health & welfare is also the same one that sent cigars out to us in Vietnam. Sundry boxes flown out on resupply days chock full of cigarettes + plugs of chewing tobacco and five packs of machine made cigars.
We're treading dangerously close to turning this political here....but, I think it's the government doing the crying for more government invlovement, not us.
[Reply]
rizzle 11:33 AM 06-19-2009
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Don't pay attention to anything PMS NBC says or does, never heard of Parade Magazine. I'm just not cool.
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I think Parade Magazine is the little rag that comes with the Sunday papers.
I don't know how cool you've got to be to read the Sunday paper?
:-):-)
[Reply]
lightning9191 11:50 AM 06-19-2009
Originally Posted by rizzle:
I don't know how cool you've got to be to read the Sunday paper?
:-):-)
As cool as me.....I rarely miss one:-)
[Reply]
SeanGAR 11:54 AM 06-19-2009
Hey Ranit, salt will kill you too, whats your *&^%$#@ point?
[Reply]
boonedoggle 12:09 PM 06-19-2009
Good read! I had no idea my cigars had so much wonderful Vitamin N!:-)
[Reply]
M1903A1 12:15 PM 06-19-2009
Originally Posted by Jack Straw:
What about the alcohol combined with a cigar increases cancer risk? I'd be interested to know.
I've wondered about this myself...I figure either it increases absorption of something malevolent from the cigar (or combines with it in the bloodstream), or makes hazardous practices (e.g. inhaling the smoke) more likely.

As to mouth/throat issues, sometimes I wonder if the heat of the smoke (esp. towards the end) and consequent burn/cell regeneration issues could be a factor to lips, mouth lining etc.
[Reply]
jjirons69 03:21 PM 06-19-2009
The mighty spin. Reminds me of a local town. Newspaper said the murder rate was up 100% from last year. Something to gasp at?? Well, 2 murders this year, one last.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up