Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
General Discussion>Removing rust from stainless fridge
CasaDooley 07:17 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by JaKaacH:
While you're at it make one for me too, but leave out the Drambuie please. :-)
Do you still want a twist of lemon?:-)
[Reply]
Blueface 07:17 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by TheBeard:
It's true. If stainless steel didn't rust, it'd be nifty for use inside the body (pins, artificial joints, etc.) Unfortunately, it will oxidize inside the human body.
Oh no.
Say it ain't so.
You did not use the word Oxidize, did you?
Let's get off on another one (debate).:-)
Oxidation and Corrosion are not one and the same, although often confused.
[Reply]
kydsid 07:26 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by JaKaacH:
What kind of computer?? PC or Mac....?? :-)
PC. Macs don't need setup..it's called the on switch. :-)

Been building computers for 15 years, I'll be ok with any pc problems. Rust/Oxidation/orange stains whatever you want to call it on my fridge are another issue.
[Reply]
JaKaacH 07:30 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by CasaDooley:
Do you still want a twist of lemon?:-)
NO :-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:49 PM 12-15-2009
It's true. If stainless steel didn't rust, it'd be nifty for use inside the body (pins, artificial joints, etc.) Unfortunately, it will oxidize inside the human body.
I'm not picking on this post in particular, but it is a good starting place for trying to summarize the correct info that is sprinkled throughout this thread.

The discussion here is being hampered because "rust" is a laymen's term for one particular form of corrosion. Steels (not stainless) are susceptible to a general surface corrosion which forms iron oxide. That's the reddish-brown stuff we call "rust."

Stainless steel forms a very thin oxidation layer on surface which "passivates" or protects the metal from further general corrosion. The layer is kinda fragile, so it can get disrupted by fingerprints, water drops, etc. These can be removed with common stainless cleaners.

Stainless can corrode in other ways. It is susceptible to pitting corrosion caused by chlorides like the salt in your sweat. See the photo of the pistol trigger guard in a previous post.

I'm an appliance engineer and I can tell you stainless appliances sell well, at a premium price. But, I wouldn't recommend them to a friend unless they were prepared to constantly polish and polish them. They aren't practical in a kitchen environment.
[Reply]
Ratters 08:08 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by JE3146:
I use Bar Keeper's Friend on my stainless cookware.

Takes stuff off easily.

:-)
Best stuff ever. Always keep a supply under the sink. :-)
[Reply]
Perfecto 08:13 PM 12-15-2009
I've got whole set of SS kitchen knives that are proof SS does in deed rust and pits so bad I can't get the rust outta the pits.

Oh........did I forget to mention where it was made?.....you guessed it!

SS my big round behind....
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 08:16 PM 12-15-2009
Why would anyone still have a revolver when autos are so much better?

[Reply]
Starscream 01:50 PM 12-16-2009
Stainless or not?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oq15Zy7sB4
[Reply]
JE3146 02:25 PM 12-16-2009
Originally Posted by Perfecto:
I've got whole set of SS kitchen knives that are proof SS does in deed rust and pits so bad I can't get the rust outta the pits.

Oh........did I forget to mention where it was made?.....you guessed it!

SS my big round behind....
You wash them in the dishwasher don't you?
[Reply]
bobarian 02:27 PM 12-16-2009
I am sorry, but this is not an accurate statement. Surgical stainless steel is used internally. I have had stainless steel Harrington rods in my back for 25 years.
Stainless steel plates, screws and wire are also used. Surgical stainless steel is used in joint implants and heart valves as well.
[Reply]
Blindjimme 02:38 PM 12-16-2009
Rust never sleeps.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 02:44 PM 12-16-2009
There are many kinds of stainless steels. The cheapest ones are not very corrosion resistant. The ones that are are also expensive. Which do you think are used in appliances vs. implants?
[Reply]
JaKaacH 03:01 PM 12-16-2009
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:

Why are autos better...??? Revolvers can be shot fast too..:-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v...6112C&index=32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWSvjgNOJyo&NR=1
[Reply]
floydpink 03:09 PM 12-16-2009
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:

says who?

As for the cleaning question, there is only one person qualified to answer that question and he is unfortunately dead
[Reply]
jjirons69 03:42 PM 12-16-2009
Good reading - test with magnet.

Stainless steels are a very broad group of metals. The name was adopted as a generic term for steel alloys with a minimum of 10.5% chromium. The chromium gives the steel its 'stainless' properties - essentially corrosion resistance. On the surface of the metal, a very thin chromium-rich oxide layer is formed which is inert - i.e. it prevents the steel from rusting. The advantage of stainless steels over plated steels is that, if scratched or damaged, the steel will 'self-repair' as a new oxide layer is formed. In plated steels, scratches in the plate will often lead to corrosion of the steel underneath.

Stainless steel wrenchIn general, the higher the proportion of chromium, the stronger the corrosion resistance of the steel. In addition to chromium, other metals are added to give the steel particular properties such as strength and malleability. Specifically nickel is used to strengthen the oxide layer.

As for whether they are magnetic, the answer is that it depends. There are several families of stainless steels with different physical properties. A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. These are formed from the addition of chromium and can be hardened through the addition of carbon (making them 'martensitic') and are often used in cutlery. However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

So the answer is yes, the magnetic properties of stainless steel are very dependent on the elements added into the alloy, and specifically the addition of nickel can change the structure from magnetic to non-magnetic.
[Reply]
ZJB 04:13 PM 12-16-2009
Depending on the Hardness of the SS will depend on how corrosion resistant it is. It all depends on the combination of metal alloys used in the particular product.
[Reply]
kydsid 04:15 PM 12-16-2009
It is non-magnetic.
[Reply]
tobii3 05:47 PM 12-16-2009
oh for crying out loud.

300 series Stainless is non-magnetic.

400 series Stainless is MAGNETIC.

Bobarian -

Research martensitic steel vs austenitic steel.

Your rods would have been 316LVM Steel.

Originally Posted by :
The nickel/chrome/molybdenum alloys are also used for orthopaedic implants as aids in bone repair, as a structural part of artificial heart valves, and other implants. Immune system reaction to nickel is a potential complication. In some cases today titanium is used instead in procedures that require a metal implant which will be permanent. Titanium is a reactive metal, the surface of which quickly oxidizes on exposure to air, creating a microstructured stable oxide surface. This provides a surface into which bone can grow and adhere in orthopaedic implants but which is incorrodible after implant. Thus steel may be used for temporary implants and the more expensive titanium for permanent ones.
Did you see the part about ""INCORRODIBLE AFTER IMPLANT""?????

You wanna compare implants, let's go. I have titanium in my jaw, my shoulder, my hip and my foot. They are PERMANENT.

Martensitic Steel (Surgical) is used as a healing AID...not as a PERMANENT solution.

One of many reasons why the Harrington rods became obsolete in the 90's - Slight problem with people's reaction to the nickel content of the steel and all.....

Originally Posted by :
This “implant grade steel” as John calls it, is not impervious to degeneration and it would be best called “stain less” steel. Mixtures of these metals are used for short term medical implants but are not considered for longer term (20 to 30 years). In cases where the implants are to be “permanent”, titanium alloys are preferred.

[Reply]
icehog3 01:57 AM 12-17-2009
Scarecrow, I think I'll miss you most of all.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up